Random Thoughts 15: Crystal Clear 2021 Edition

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
First “day at the Iowa State Center” in a very long time. WBB at noon, MBB at 5 and a show at Stephens at 7. After being gone last week for a conference, it’s not ideal. But, weather is good, time enough between the two games to be home for a bit, and thanks to our lovely governor’s decree a few days ago, we have just two work days this week. ISU decided one of two new holidays for state employees to happen yet this calendar year, would be the day before Thanksgiving. The other is Dec. 23.

What was the decree, did she declare two random holidays that employers can just declare?

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
This link is the short version of messages sent to faculty and staff on Tuesday. I wish we could have chosen our own days....
https://www.president.iastate.edu/communications/messages/2021/11/16-paid-holidays

I guess the thought is nice? I can see administratively where it is easier just to declare two days and standardize it. I also understand why you would like to choose your own days.

A friend of mine works in admissions for one of the state colleges in Mn. Her work from "home" schedule looked like a dream trip around the U.S. from my point of view. Good on her, but in her case it surely wasn't any hardship.

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I'm a bit more "negative' in my thought process about why this happened. Also, just fyi that it also happened last year around this same date, with the pandemic AND derecho as reasons. In 2020, ISU chose Monday, Nov. 30 and Tuesday, Dec. 1 as the dates, meaning 6 straight days with the Thanksgiving holidays at ISU always on Thursday and Friday. At least that didn't happen this year.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Debating whether to make a quick cleanup and bagging trip outside before yard waste peeps get here. Put out 32 bags by the time I finished in the dark last night but could probably scrounge up a bag or two from the garden area that was too dark to see last night.

Reactions: Ms3r4ISU

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Debating whether to make a quick cleanup and bagging trip outside before yard waste peeps get here. Put out 32 bags by the time I finished in the dark last night but could probably scrounge up a bag or two from the garden area that was too dark to see last night.

Yard waste pickup guy likely hated me. Added more to make it 36 bags, heavy cause lots of wet stuff. Technically supposed to be max 35 LBS per bag. LOL, half of these were 50 or more. Watched him try and grab one with one hand last week. Gave a WTF look and realized that ain't gonna work. Bagged, went to lift weights, stopped to buy mo' wine. Think it's nap time. Definitely short nap time.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Took Monday-Wednesday off to get the full week. Two naps today so I would say I am doing good thus far. The outdoor Christmas lights are officially MIA due to the move.

• Wow
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Oh, goodness. CBS has Rudolph on right now. My turkey for the big family Thanksgiving meal on Saturday is still frozen.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yard waste pickup guy likely hated me. Added more to make it 36 bags, heavy cause lots of wet stuff. Technically supposed to be max 35 LBS per bag. LOL, half of these were 50 or more. Watched him try and grab one with one hand last week. Gave a WTF look and realized that ain't gonna work. Bagged, went to lift weights, stopped to buy mo' wine. Think it's nap time. Definitely short nap time.
You should have got the Russians to help you bag the leaves. Made quick work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron