Random Thoughts 15: Crystal Clear 2021 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
If you remember reading Iowa Boy columns in the DMReg long ago, you might like his latest blog posting. http://offenburger.com/index.php/re...ly-good-and-still-is-even-with-death-so-near/

Man, reading that column just makes me sad for how far the Register has fallen. They used to have a lot of great columnists and writers, now all it is, is cut and paste USA Today. About once every 6 months I'll pick up a DMR and I am always disappointed. Someday I'll learn.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I had read some years ago a conspiracy theory that FDR knew about the Pearl Harbor attack and let it happen, hoping it would inflame public sentiment and thus make it easier to declare war. (Until that time, most Americans were in full isolationist mode.)

But according to Burns' documentary, the US knew that Japan was planning a sneak attack, they just didn't know where.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Well last night got exciting real quick. Just about 8:30 a very loud noise was heard, fighter jets. Barely saw them flying away so I couldn't ID them and the whole town was going crazy with it all. Start working the phones and eventually put the pieces together via a good video from someone who happened to be out at the Airport that they were F-16s and based on the trail of noise complaints they were from the Wisconsin ANG returning to Madison after stopping by because who doesn't want to stop by Cedar Rapids?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
We have a client that is exiting real soon to another outsourcer. I just got a request about something that happens every weekend. So it wasn't a problem until they decided to pack up and go to Ta Ta?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Anyone else seeing notifications this morning? My last one was at 9.15 last night. No way that's for real. There are usually 15-20 by the time I get up and make my way to the computer.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Man, reading that column just makes me sad for how far the Register has fallen. They used to have a lot of great columnists and writers, now all it is, is cut and paste USA Today. About once every 6 months I'll pick up a DMR and I am always disappointed. Someday I'll learn.
And the Ames paper does the "you use mine and I'll use yours and no one will notice" thing with articles, too. Pretty awful.

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Anyone else seeing notifications this morning? My last one was at 9.15 last night. No way that's for real. There are usually 15-20 by the time I get up and make my way to the computer.
And here's three for you.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Those showed up. But when I am reading through the "watched" threads I am seeing my posts quoted or liked/disliked, but the notifications didn't show up.

It's not a question of popularity...it's how I keep track of conversations!!!

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Good grief! Did that student not understand what the community was doing when they "participated"???
Either they completely missed the point, or they have just the type of gallows humor that makes me chuckle.

I wonder if it's more a case of not comprehending what they read.

Reactions: Entropy

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I was making fried rice for lunch, got the chicken going and then realized I had forgotten to make rice.
Now I have to sit and wait 20 minutes for that to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron