RAGBRAI 2018

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Tonight is the course announcement. Come on Central route!

Who's in?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
This is going to be nuts. Ames as a overnight stop and then Iowa City.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
It looks like a great time. The friends, the comradery, the beer it's just the bike part I could never enjoy. If they ever come up with a running one I'm in.

• Agree
Reactions: 1100011CS

cobraclone71

Jan 3, 2011
Ok all you Ragbrai aficionados and veterans...

What advice do you have for a first time rider? I've been wanting to check this off my bucket list for a few years, but I think timing is finally going to work out this year.

Myself and a couple of guys are in the early stages of planning here, so we have very little figured out at this point, other than we have identified a few places we can stay each night. Literally any advice is appreciated.

What to do/not to do?
What to bring/not to bring?
What to do ahead of time?
Etc. Etc. Etc.

Reactions: wxman1

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006

What advice do you have for a first time rider? I've been wanting to check this off my bucket list for a few years, but I think timing is finally going to work out this year.

Myself and a couple of guys are in the early stages of planning here, so we have very little figured out at this point, other than we have identified a few places we can stay each night. Literally any advice is appreciated.

What to do/not to do?
Etc. Etc. Etc.
The more you train, the more fun you will have. That has been my experience for the last 20+ years.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Tempted to get a couple of one days passes and for the central days. At least I know people in the area that might be able (willing might be another question) to give me a ride back to my car.

rdtindsm

Jan 30, 2008
The more you train, the more fun you will have. That has been my experience for the last 20+ years.

Don't forget it's outdoor activity, 24/7. If you don't have expedition quality rain gear, at least take garbage bags. A decent tent and groundcloth suitable for a night of down pour and big enough to keep your gear dry. Clothing for cool nights and dewey mornig.

Learn to love cherry pie with a beer in the other hand :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: Farnsworth

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

What to do/not to do?
Etc. Etc. Etc.

Start with training on 20 mile rides. Then get to 40. Once you feel comfortable on 40's, get some 60s in before.
Don't overpack, you don't need a whole lot.
Bring a good sized and travel size of sunscreen. Refil the travel one every time you get to camp.
Don't anticipate losing any weight.
A sport headband is nice to keep sweat out of your eyes.
Clip in keens are awesome.
Churches, VFW's, Legions are cold and serve the best food and beer.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

What to do/not to do?
Etc. Etc. Etc.

Are you registering and all that or just doing it?

Help Support Us

Become a patron