Quick Computer Repair

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I bought a new laptop a couple months ago and today I dropped it an cracked the screen. It's not to bad, still usable, but I worry I will bump it and make it worse so want to get the screen replaced. Any suggestions?

I called Best Buy cause I bought it there and they wanted me to drop if off for an entire week. I then called another place in Ames that wanted to have it 3 days to diagnose it and then additional days to fix it. I just want the screen replaced. I feel I should be able to bring it in, have them get the information then need to order and screen and then bring it back for the replacement once the screen arrives. Because I have payroll, bookkeeping, etc. I use it for leaving it there for a week is NOT going to happen.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Check out ifixit.com or look for videos on Youtube about how to replace it. With the right tools, it's very possible you can order the part and do it yourself pretty easily. I nearly did this for my kid's cracked Chromebook screen from school, and in the end opted not to so as not to incur the wrath of the school IT people.

It might be like as simple as a 15-minute project, though if glue or some other adhesive is involved it adds a layer of complexity.

What's the model number?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Ubreakifix if there are any of those around. There was a good tech place in that strip across from Target in Urbandale.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: aauummm

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Just make sure whoever repairs it gets the right screen. My laptop had 1080p max resolution. The screened died and I got it replaced and the one they installed had 720p max resolution.... not cool.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Just make sure whoever repairs it gets the right screen. My laptop had 1080p max resolution. The screened died and I got it replaced and the one they installed had 720p max resolution.... not cool.
That's just shoddy/cheap work. These things have OEM parts numbers to match...

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

aauummm

March is National Celery Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Ubreakifix if there any of those around. There was a good tech place in that strip across from Target in Urbandale.
I've used ubreakifix in Ankeny and they were great. Same day service, broken screen on a brand new Samsung Galaxy S10+. OEM replacement screen. It was hooked up to the Samsung factory by internet to test every function and then they did the waterproof test also. Certified good as new. Workmanship is guaranteed for 90 days on standard repairs and one year on certain premium repairs. Extremely knowledgeable and competent staff.

https://www.ubreakifix.com/locations/ankeny

Last edited:
Reactions: GTO and isufbcurt

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I bought a new laptop a couple months ago and today I dropped it an cracked the screen. It's not to bad, still usable, but I worry I will bump it and make it worse so want to get the screen replaced. Any suggestions?

I called Best Buy cause I bought it there and they wanted me to drop if off for an entire week. I then called another place in Ames that wanted to have it 3 days to diagnose it and then additional days to fix it. I just want the screen replaced. I feel I should be able to bring it in, have them get the information then need to order and screen and then bring it back for the replacement once the screen arrives. Because I have payroll, bookkeeping, etc. I use it for leaving it there for a week is NOT going to happen.
I know of a guy in Delaware that can work on it (even though he is a bit blind).

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

I have fixed them before. Its not very hard. Lmk if you don't find someone.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I mean, there are plays that compensate for aggressive pass rush, right? Yes? Does anybody know any?