Purdy mini camp

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Purdy is the winningest QB in ISU history. I can make an argument on both sides that he contributed to those wins while also holding them back.

I tend to error on the side of him holding back the team. Our best roster in school history won 7 games. QB is the #1 reason for wins and losses.. Dead arm Kempt with less of a roster.

1) Bad turnovers
2) Lack of ability to stretch the field
3) Size
4) He seems to get some tunnel vision

Overall he was a good player and a great person. ISU is a better place today than when Brock came to campus.
Neither Purdy nor Kempt are NFL quarterbacks. Between the two, I think Kempt had the better overall skillset for a college QB. Smarter, even tempered, able to read the game much better.

It's all conjecture and amusement of course, but I think with a healthy Kempt instead of Purdy the 2021 team wins 11-12 games (including a major bowl).

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Neither Purdy nor Kempt are NFL quarterbacks. Between the two, I think Kempt had the better overall skillset for a college QB. Smarter, even tempered, able to read the game much better.

It's all conjecture and amusement of course, but I think with a healthy Kempt instead of Purdy the 2021 team wins 11-12 games (including a major bowl).

At OU Kempt. Maybe. The defense fell apart last season in A LOT of moments and we had 5 guards on the line. I think 10 wins would be the ceiling

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I listen to Sirus Big 12 channel on my way to work each morning, all last fall, talking about ISU, all the announcers said the same thing, " for ISU to have that special season, Purdy needs to step up and be special". We all know that never happened, he was solid, but not a Joe Barrow type of season, that we were hoping for.

Can he play in the NFL, sure, he just has to work to his strengths, but with his arm strength, its going to be a struggle, not impossible, but he needs to be on the right time that dinks and dunks, which the 49ers are.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I just can't get this stat line of Purdy's out of my head.....

13/27 for 138 yds, 0 TD's, and 3 INT's.

That's how he performed under the biggest lights and with the most pressure when Gameday was in town against Iowa last year. Granted, it's only one game, but it was the game ISU fans were thinking they were finally going to beat Iowa with most likely our best roster in history.... and Purdy laid an egg and was yanked.

Dekkers came in that game and finished 11/16 for 114 yds , 1 TD, and 0 INT's. But that was mostly in garbage time against Iowa's backups.

I realize this post is kind of unfair.... but that game just really stung BAD. We easily had the better roster and had Purdy just had an average game where he didn't hurt us, we would have won.... but he flat out stunk it up.... and because of that we had no chance in that game.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

That's how he performed under the biggest lights and with the most pressure when Gameday was in town against Iowa last year. Granted, it's only one game, but it was the game ISU fans were thinking they were finally going to beat Iowa with most likely our best roster in history.... and Purdy laid an egg and was yanked.

Dekkers came in that game and finished 11/16 for 114 yds , 1 TD, and 0 INT's. But that was mostly in garbage time against Iowa's backups.

I realize this post is kind of unfair.... but that game just really stung BAD. We easily had the better roster and had Purdy just had an average game where he didn't hurt us, we would have won.... but he flat out stunk it up.... and because of that we had no chance in that game.
What took you so long to come in here and shitpost?

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
The way some people on this board talk about Purdy I swear he must have banged your wives.

• Haha
Reactions: mramseyISU

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Purdy is the winningest QB in ISU history. I can make an argument on both sides that he contributed to those wins while also holding them back.

I tend to error on the side of him holding back the team. Our best roster in school history won 7 games. QB is the #1 reason for wins and losses.. Dead arm Kempt won with less of a roster.

1) Bad turnovers
2) Lack of ability to stretch the field
3) Size
4) He seems to get some tunnel vision

Overall he was a good player and a great person. ISU is a better place today than when Brock came to campus.
To your point, we did have similar success with Kempt.

Purdy benefited from the talent around him more than Purdy made the team better imo. No ISU QB had the defense and offensive skill players around him. The OL was okay, and would have been better with a QB that had an ability to create a pocket and make quick reads. His freshman season was maybe the year in which he added wins to what we couldn’t have gotten otherwise.

Hopefully he can be the 3rd/4th QB pseudo coach role that many career backups find

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
What took you so long to come in here and shitpost?

I wish nothing but the best for Purdy, I really do. I hope he ends up on a NFL team and sticks with them. I want him to be great, and have great success.

I just think he was a really good QB for ISU, but not great... that's all.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
At OU Kempt. Maybe. The defense fell apart last season in A LOT of moments and we had 5 guards on the line. I think 10 wins would be the ceiling
Purdy hurt the OL last year. He was mobile, but he didn’t have good feet

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

If you know it's unfair, why'd you bother?

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
If Purdue had an OL that was more than just competent, wins would have came. Would Barrow had a Heisman season with ISU’s Ol?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

The team collectively laid an egg multiple times last year.

The Iowa meltdown was a total team effort.

Fundamentals are important.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Which Iowa starters were pulled? I was there and remember their Dback starters were in. So please tell which backups were in.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
The team collectively laid an egg multiple times last year.

The Iowa meltdown was a total team effort.

Fundamentals are important.
This. That thing was a epic cluster **** in every way.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Which Iowa starters were pulled? I was there and remember their Dback starters were in. So please tell which backups were in.

I do think we pulled our starters before Iowa did.... in fact many were upset that CMC was throwing in the towel so early.
So Dekkers did play against Iowa's starters for a little bit, but not very long from what I recall. Played against Iowa's backups longer than he did against their starters anyway.