Property Tax Increase

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I just got a letter that the assessed value of my house went up $38,000 dollars from last year! I live in Waukee and my taxes are already high. I would try to dispute this, but I finished my basement a few years ago and the assessor doesn't know it is finished so my value would go even higher. I am not suprised my value went up, but that is a huge increase. Has anyone else noticed their taxes going up so much?

• Agree
Reactions: chadly82

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I just got a letter that the assessed value of my house went up $38,000 dollars from last year! I live in Waukee and my taxes are already high. I would try to dispute this, but I finished my basement a few years ago and the assessor doesn't know it is finished so my value would go even higher. I am not suprised my value went up, but that is a huge increase. Has anyone else noticed their taxes going up so much?

I've been in Waukee 3 years and in total my taxes have gone up 30%. I'm sure that will increase this year, too.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Invite the assessor over and use your Jedi mind trick.......

these-are-not-the-improvements-you-are-looking-for.jpg

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Enjoy your new schools.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Did your mill rate increase as much or did that stay steady. I had a large mil rate increase and a decent valuation increase at the same time, that is when it gets crazy. I'm in a small town though.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
This is the ploy when cities want people vote to reduce their property taxes while increasing the sales tax. The rates may go down but the value magically increases over a short time to offset that change. I'll never understand why people vote for stuff like this. This pattern has been observed throughout the metro over the years.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
Like I said in my original post, i expected an increase, but that much of an increase seems too high.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I don't know what my total taxes are going up yet. I only got the letter about my assessed value going up so far.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Nebraska says, "Hi!"

We've averaged about a 6-8% increase every year for the last 4.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Assessed values often lag quite a bit behind market values in growing markets. The City's don't mind because they see that as guaranteed increases over the coming years. The rates are SUPPOSED to be within 10% of market values.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
I hear conplaints in taxes yet everyone wants newer schools, bigger gyms, nicer parks, more sidewalks, etc. Every day on the news politicians promising “free” stuff. Think about your increased taxes next time you vote.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
This is the ploy when cities want people vote to reduce their property taxes while increasing the sales tax. The rates may go down but the value magically increases over a short time to offset that change. I'll never understand why people vote for stuff like this. This pattern has been observed throughout the metro over the years.

OP lives in Waukee. Waukee is Dallas county and I'm assuming you're referencing the recent vote to increase the sales tax in Polk county.

To OP: I live in Dallas county as well and I recall hearing about projected tax increases maybe 1-2 years ago? I was hit pretty hard with a large jump in my assessed value (I just assumed it was because I broke up with a girl who worked for the assessor :jimlad: To be fair though, the assessment hadn't changed in years. It was assessed really near the market lows so I thought it was fair. I think I just got something in the mail from Dallas county so we'll see if my value has changed much.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I called the Assessor office and found out that it has to be within a certain percentage of fair market value. I think that it is probably accurate, but I think the huge increase is because the fair market value was behind in the past. I guess I can't complain too much, because my house is worth at least $50,000 more than I paid for it about 4 years ago.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Maybe this is paying for the new jail the County had a heck of a time pushing for?

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I would try to dispute this, but I finished my basement a few years ago and the assessor doesn't know it is finished so my value would go even higher.

You're lucky. Linn county assessors are worse than ambulance chasers. They drive around looking for contractor trucks or garbage dumpsters. When I replaced my kitchen cabinets, magically one of them showed up in my driveway asking to "look around".

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I hear conplaints in taxes yet everyone wants newer schools, bigger gyms, nicer parks, more sidewalks, etc. Every day on the news politicians promising “free” stuff. Think about your increased taxes next time you vote.

I don't want hardly any of those things. The only people who "have" to have new schools are the administrators.

• Agree
Reactions: hlb76