Prohm to Alabama?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I wouldnt say that looked great. We were just happy to have him gone.

If McDermott had been winning and he left for Creighton, that would have been a horrible look.

The optics on these moves are always in the context of whether they’ve won or not.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I completely disagree. And there’s no retirement in my 6.
You think LE, Wayne, and even McDermott left completely on their own terms?

I know you have a pathological need to feel abandoned, but in nearly 40 years we’ve only had two coaches leave. Both for the NBA. That’s not bad.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
You think LE, Wayne, and even McDermott left completely on their own terms?

I know you have a pathological need to feel abandoned, but in nearly 40 years we’ve only had two coaches leave. Both for the NBA. That’s not bad.

But that's bad for the program. It's great for Fred and Tim. But I don't care about them. No program can be long term successful without stability. It doesn't matter why we don't have stability, but the fact is that we don't have it.

Name me a program that has less stability than we do. We are very lucky that the coach you wanted fired a few weeks ago, has been able to keep things going somewhat, but will the next guy? Who the hell knows.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
But that's bad for the program. It's great for Fred and Tim. But I don't care about them. No program can be long term successful without stability. It doesn't matter why we don't have stability, but the fact is that we don't have it.

Name me a program that has less stability than we do. We are very lucky that the coach you wanted fired a few weeks ago, has been able to keep things going somewhat, but will the next guy? Who the hell knows.
What’s bad for the program?
No one is arguing turnover is optimal, but that’s not the same as suggesting we’ve had a lot bad turnover, or that no one wants to stay. Again 2 coaches leaving in 40 years isn’t bad for the program, it’s the bad hires and having an alcoholic coach that’s bad for the program. Texas Tech just went to the Elite Eight last year and won the Big 12 this year while on their 7th coach in less than 23 years. They probably have a jsb on their talking about how it cannot be real, because turnover.

We didn’t “greatly luck out” with Prohm. Most coaches will have success here.

I feel the same about Prohm today as I did a few weeks ago. If anything more certain that my opinion of his performance this year was accurate. I know you and a couple others like to put things in discrete boxes, and that limits your comprehension.

• Agree
Reactions: Peter

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Maybe so, but getting a new coach every 5 years is not the key to success as a program. We greatly lucked out that Prohm has done as good as he has, but find me a good, but not blue blood program that goes through coaches like we do. it doesn't matter why they leave or if it is better for Iowa State short term. It is not good for the program long term. Since 1995, we have had 6 coaches. Six coaches in 23 years. I guess I should expect it by now, but it would be nice if someone actually wanted to coach here.

List of dudes in what I consider the modern era, aka anything I can remember on my own! Only one coach left us for another college and he was on the verge of being fired so that's a big asterisk. Nobody has used us as a college to college "stepping stone".

Glen Anderson – fired
Maury John – resigned because of cancer :(
Ken Trickey – fired
Lynn Nance – fired
Johnny Orr – “retired” aka forced out
Tim Floyd – dumped us for NBA shiny bobble and failed at next stop
Larry Eustachy – fired
Wayne Morgan – fired
Greg McDermott – bailed before we fired him
Fred Hoiberg – dumped us for NBA shiny bobble and failed at next stop
Steve Prohm - TBD but hoping he's our next Orr as far as wanting to be here and succeeding enough to warrant a long stay.

Last edited:

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
What’s bad for the program?
No one is arguing turnover is optimal, but that’s not the same as suggesting we’ve had a lot bad turnover, or that no one wants to stay. Again 2 coaches leaving in 40 years isn’t bad for the program, it’s the bad hires and having an alcoholic coach that’s bad for the program. Texas Tech just went to the Elite Eight last year and won the Big 12 this year while on their 7th coach in less than 23 years. They probably have a jsb on their talking about how it cannot be real, because turnover.

We didn’t “greatly luck out” with Prohm. Most coaches will have success here.

I feel the same about Prohm today as I did a few weeks ago. If anything more certain that my opinion of his performance this year was accurate. I know you and a couple others like to put things in discrete boxes, and that limits your comprehension.

The irony of this is stunning. And the lack of understanding of language is also sadly humorous

Reactions: mcblogerson

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I’d prefer to keep Prohm and expect him to be our coach for the foreseeable future. But, if and when he goes Otzelberger is coach in waiting.

No reason to disagree or sound info but don't agree that Otz is next man in. In before the "why?" .....just a gut feeling. CSP will be here hopefully.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
No reason to disagree or sound info but don't agree that Otz is next man in. In before the "why?" .....just a gut feeling. CSP will be here hopefully.

You are delusional if you think the next coach isn't TJ.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Maybe so, but getting a new coach every 5 years is not the key to success as a program. We greatly lucked out that Prohm has done as good as he has, but find me a good, but not blue blood program that goes through coaches like we do. it doesn't matter why they leave or if it is better for Iowa State short term. It is not good for the program long term. Since 1995, we have had 6 coaches. Six coaches in 23 years. I guess I should expect it by now, but it would be nice if someone actually wanted to coach here.

Tim - upgraded to the NBA (however was using ISU as a stepping stone)
Larry - wanted to stay, fired due to boozing
Wayne - wanted to stay, fired due to performance
Chewie - downgraded to Creighton, however would have been fired
Mayor - upgraded to the NBA
Steve - TBD

While I agree with you about wanting stability and we ISU fans get touchy on coaching changes as we're always externally viewed as a stepping stone, I don't think the outcomes of the coaches who left (even if you include Johnny due to retirement) support the stepping stone point yet.

• Winner
Reactions: FinalFourCy

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Tim - upgraded to the NBA (however was using ISU as a stepping stone)
Larry - wanted to stay, fired due to boozing
Wayne - wanted to stay, fired due to performance
Chewie - downgraded to Creighton, however would have been fired
Mayor - upgraded to the NBA
Steve - TBD

While I agree with you about wanting stability and we ISU fans get touchy on coaching changes as we're always externally viewed as a stepping stone, I don't think the outcomes of the coaches who left (even if you include Johnny due to retirement) support the stepping stone point yet.

I don't care about the stepping stone thing. What I am saying is that it is very hard to become an elite program without consistency with the coach.

We had fans on here 10 days ago ******** abut our current coach and the fact that he hadn't bested the previous coach yet. But you can't have coaching changes without growing pains. If we ever have another coach that lasts for more than 5 years, then we can expect more. But without it, in the best cases, we can expect what we are getting (which is pretty good) in going to the NCAA tournament.

• Funny

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I don't care about the stepping stone thing. What I am saying is that it is very hard to become an elite program without consistency with the coach.

We had fans on here 10 days ago ******** abut our current coach and the fact that he hadn't bested the previous coach yet. But you can't have coaching changes without growing pains. If we ever have another coach that lasts for more than 5 years, then we can expect more. But without it, in the best cases, we can expect what we are getting (which is pretty good) in going to the NCAA tournament.
Do Beard and TT know this? I’m guessing they don’t regret any of the firings, just some of the hires.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Yeah, this much is obvious.

Some of that turnover happens on the positive end (coach has so much success someone else puts up a lot of money to steal them) some of it comes on the negative end (they suck and get fired). We can't do much on the positive end other than raise more money, but on the negative end, at least part of that is probably because of our lower-budget hiring. You're always somewhat rolling the dice when you hire a coach, but some coaches are more of a gamble than others, and are priced accordingly. We've tended, as a lower budget school, to tend towards more risky 'up and coming' type coaches, because we havent been able to afford more 'sure thing' coaching hires. Of course, higher turnover can make this more costly in the long run than just hiring someone that works out.

As we have increasingly more money if we want to sustain success we probably need to be casting nets in a more 'sure thing' sort of way if we can.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If Prohm leaves Otz is next man in. It's not a question. Either outcome is good for ISU.

If prohm were to leave I think we'd probably be fine with Otz, but i also think a normal process should be followed just to cast the net and see who's available.

• Agree

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Why spend the money? Otz is the guy, and he'll be good. Prohm staying would be good too.

Because you never know if there might be someone better and more proven until you do the search. You never know who's looking. Hell, look at how we got Orr back in the day.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron