Preseason Top 25

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Fern not trusting Big Fish or Olalimey to be in the game in the last 10 minutes should tell you everything.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
To be fair, just about every team loses a good amount of scoring each year. And to be honest, Iowa's not losing as much as you think (Marble/McCabe accounted for just over 28% of their points...we're losing 45% of our offense for comparison).

Iowa's biggest liability last year was their coach...he couldn't establish a "core" and stretched the team thin. Iowa had nine players averaging over 15 minutes/game, yet only three of them had over 20 minutes/game (in contrast, we had seven players averaging over 15 minutes a game, and all of them had over 20 minutes/game...four of them had over 30 minutes/game, something that can only be claimed by Marble for Iowa).

Iowa's fix could very well be not utilizing their "depth" and settling on a seven man rotation rather than their "exhibition" style of play they used last year. If they can do that, their scoring could become a lot more consistent and they'd be a better team. However, that's not something that should be assumed in the preseason...Fran's got to prove that he can do it, first.

Marble could get his own shot on a team of guys who struggle w that, basabe was one of their better rebounders too. Compare that to ISU where Niang was already the go to 1 on 1 scorer and BDJ is great at that too.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
It does annoy me that no matter the sport, Iowa is consistently overrated. For some reason, voters and "experts" are in love with them. It happens just about every year in football and is now happening in basketball. Every write up I've seen where they rank Iowa, not one of them brings up how they plan on replacing Marble's scoring and who's going to step up. It's ridiculous. That NBC article ranking Iowa and not Iowa State is pretty ridiculous and definitely the worst one I've seen yet. What's funny is these guys on NBC won't rank Iowa State and then by the end of the season, their writers will say things like "we knew all along that Iowa State was a top talent team and we were the only ones that gave them respect before the season started." Then when Iowa collapses, the experts will say "this team is just not good enough to compete with the big boys and we knew it from the start of the season."
Last year was the first year that Iowa got so much as one vote in the preseason AP poll in more than a decade. They haven't been in the preseason Top 25 in football since 2011. Not exactly a pattern of voters "in love" with them and consistently overranking them.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Last year was the first year that Iowa got so much as one vote in the preseason AP poll in more than a decade. They haven't been in the preseason Top 25 in football since 2011. Not exactly a pattern of voters "in love" with them and consistently overranking them.

Who was coach back then?

Extreme LOL.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Marble could get his own shot on a team of guys who struggle w that, basabe was one of their better rebounders too. Compare that to ISU where Niang was already the go to 1 on 1 scorer and BDJ is great at that too.

I forgot about Basabe.

Iowa's got a much slimmer path to an improved season than we do. They need someone from their existing stable to step up and become what Marble was, because they're sure as heck not bringing anyone in. If they can, and Fran sticks with them rather than spreading the minutes around, they might be decent. I'd be worried if I were an Iowa fan, but also hopeful that a few guys might see improved seasons. I'll take our position any day, though.

But hey, enough about Iowa, back on topic...

What are some teams that people will be shocked to see left in/out of the preseason Top 25?

Last edited:

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Who was coach back then? Extreme LOL.
Hoiberg hasn't had a season where his team has lost LESS than 7 conference games in a season. Will that never change or is he doomed to never improve that? Every season is different. Look at the Big Ten for this year. Michigan isn't as good as they have been. Ohio State is down. Michigan State is down. Nebraska may seriously be the 2nd best team in the conference. Let that sink in. If Iowa does nothing more than stay level they will pick up a few more wins in conference this year.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames

He probably meant local media, but you're right, there's no conspiracy theory. People worry about the school to the east a little too much.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Hoiberg hasn't had a season where his team has lost LESS than 7 conference games in a season. Will that never change or is he doomed to never improve that? Every season is different. Look at the Big Ten for this year. Michigan isn't as good as they have been. Ohio State is down. Michigan State is down. Nebraska may seriously be the 2nd best team in the conference. Let that sink in. If Iowa does nothing more than stay level they will pick up a few more wins in conference this year.

ISU went 12-6 Royce's year.

Last edited:

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia

My thoughts are: Hoiberg uses the season to build his team to peak in March. However he has ran into two big injuries the past two years (Babb and Niang) during the tourney, both teams had good chances of the final four without the injuries.

Losing games throughout the season helps build the team up to understand how to over come adversity and builds chemistry and hunger. Going through the Big 12, 16-2 maybe builds up some false sense of dominance??? KU has had a lot of great seasons, but seem to run out of steam in March and disappoints??

With what Fred had 4 years ago when he started and what has translated into, I'll take whatever strategy he thinks works. Maybe he will turn ISU into a power that can win 30 games during the regular season and still play well in March, time will only tell.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
It does annoy me that no matter the sport, Iowa is consistently overrated. For some reason, voters and "experts" are in love with them. It happens just about every year in football and is now happening in basketball. Every write up I've seen where they rank Iowa, not one of them brings up how they plan on replacing Marble's scoring and who's going to step up. It's ridiculous. That NBC article ranking Iowa and not Iowa State is pretty ridiculous and definitely the worst one I've seen yet. What's funny is these guys on NBC won't rank Iowa State and then by the end of the season, their writers will say things like "we knew all along that Iowa State was a top talent team and we were the only ones that gave them respect before the season started." Then when Iowa collapses, the experts will say "this team is just not good enough to compete with the big boys and we knew it from the start of the season."

This is only noticed in Iowa. And preseason rankings are mostly worthless efforts to attract readers, nothing else.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
My thoughts are: Hoiberg uses the season to build his team to peak in March. However he has ran into two big injuries the past two years (Babb and Niang) during the tourney, both teams had good chances of the final four without the injuries.

Losing games throughout the season helps build the team up to understand how to over come adversity and builds chemistry and hunger. Going through the Big 12, 16-2 maybe builds up some false sense of dominance??? KU has had a lot of great seasons, but seem to run out of steam in March and disappoints??

With what Fred had 4 years ago when he started and what has translated into, I'll take whatever strategy he thinks works. Maybe he will turn ISU into a power that can win 30 games during the regular season and still play well in March, time will only tell.

You do know that Bill Self is 11-4 in the tournament since Holberg arrived, right? And that they played for the national championship just two years ago?

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
My thoughts are: Hoiberg uses the season to build his team to peak in March. However he has ran into two big injuries the past two years (Babb and Niang) during the tourney, both teams had good chances of the final four without the injuries. Losing games throughout the season helps build the team up to understand how to over come adversity and builds chemistry and hunger. Going through the Big 12, 16-2 maybe builds up some false sense of dominance??? KU has had a lot of great seasons, but seem to run out of steam in March and disappoints?? With what Fred had 4 years ago when he started and what has translated into, I'll take whatever strategy he thinks works. Maybe he will turn ISU into a power that can win 30 games during the regular season and still play well in March, time will only tell.
I will call Bill Self and tell him he needs to lose more regular season games to better prepare for the tourney. Good grief, ISU wins one more game than Kansas in the tourney and suddenly the model of success has changed. I think you have officially reached maximum Kool-Aid intoxication.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

KU didn't have any key injuries last year. :mask:

KU is the Big 12's bell cow and one B12 Tourney Championship by ISU doesn't change that. You aren't helping yourself with your post even though you are arguing with a common enemy.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Yeah, but still. - Tuco
No, he's right. I was off by one. That insignificant fact doesn't change the point which is that past records mean nothing when discussing the future. For people that ask me to stop making a big deal over nothing, you sure are making a big deal over nothing. Arguing over putting Iowa at the ***** end of my meaningless preseason ranking could not be more of a pointless endeavor.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
No, he's right. I was off by one. That insignificant fact doesn't change the point which is that past records mean nothing when discussing the future. For people that ask me to stop making a big deal over nothing, you sure are making a big deal over nothing. Arguing over putting Iowa at the ***** end of my meaningless preseason ranking could not be more of a pointless endeavor.

Pre-season rankings in basketball are pointless so this thread should be much shorter. If you don't like the conversation I can give you a key to the door.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
1. Kentucky 2. Arizona 3. Wisconsin 4. Duke 5. Kansas 6. Carolina 7. Florida 8. Virginia 9. SDSU 10. Texas 11. Louisville 12. Iowa State 13. Wichita State 14. Gonzaga 15. Nova 16. Oklahoma 17. UConn 18. VCU 19. Nebraska 20. Harvard 21. Ohio State 22. Syracuse 23. Michigan State 24. Iowa 25. SMU

Wait.......Iowa in there??? :twitcy:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron