7.Oklahoma33
8.Oklahoma State36
9.TCU23
10.Kansas14

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I've been looking at this, and I don't think our score is possible.

There are 10 ballots, but each team doesn't vote for themselves. Therefore each team gets 1-9 points on 9 ballots (max 81 points).
  • Baylor is unanimous #1 -- 9 pts x 9 ballots = 81 points.
  • Texas is unanimous #2 (other than Baylor's ballot) -- 9 pts from Baylor + (8 pts x 8 ballots ) = 73 points.
If ISU were unanimous #3 (other than #2 on Baylor and Texas ballots), we'd have (8 pts x 2 ballots) + (7 pts x 7 ballots) = 65 points. But we have 69 points, which should be impossible if Baylor and Texas are unanimous 1 and 2.

The total number of points is 450, which is correct. So I have no idea what's going on.

Yes, I am a huge nerd.

Last edited:

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
Well...I'm guessing Texas was not a unanimous pick for second place. Some of those coaches like us :)
That would make sense except UT has to be unanimous at 2nd other then their one 1st vote to get to 73 total. I think @mred is right that something is off.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
There's a lot of questions concerning every team ranked 2 through 10. TX likely deserves the #2 ranking again due to Collier and Taylor. Two great players. Not sure why Taylor didn't make the first team. But with Vic on the sideline as a coach and with several very decent additions they should be a very solid team.

Does KST deserve to be #4. Only time will tell. How about TT being ranked above 4 other teams. Are they that good or maybe even better? They have hired a very good coach IMO and the addition of Vivian Gray will be very exciting for them. But they lose Brewer who was an all Big 12 Post and the very bread and butter of their team.

Will Kansas ever get out of the cellar? Probably not until recruiting improves.

WV nearly always looks formidable but seems to have had some bad luck in the last few years with injuries and other issues as well. So who knows what they will bring to the table this year.

ISU certainly deserves to be ranked no lower than 3rd. If Lexi Donarski proves out and takes the reins early in the season I would think she could easily win FOY. The coaches are predicting that Andrews will get FOY. I doubt that she will get enough playing time as a frosh especially if Carrington from Stanford pans out. Then if Scott has a stellar season and gets hot with her 3 point shooting the Clones will have 3 extremely good players on the floor.

Baylor lost 3 Seniors that were very good players. All were drafted by the WNBA. I'm not sure that any of the three that are replacing them will be as good. But I still believe they will have a very solid team, possibly even a final four team. Egbo and Smith should be a very powerful tandem in the post. Richards will be her usual self. Moon should fill in quite well for Juicy. And I think between Andrews, Oliver, and Carrington the PG position will be solid.

So it's time to tip off and see what's what.

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Welp Baylor is the cream of the crop till proven otherwise. I can see UT being rated above us because of the coaching change, but the UT team will be learning his system so they could be vulnerable. Looking at the top tier of coaches in the B12 there is quite a bit of talent on that top tier, Kim, Vic, Pembley, and Bill. I think Sherri can still coach but man her recruiting has been rough lately.

@geewago is the youth of TCU why they've got them 9th? Pembly seems to be a pretty decent coach.

It'll be interesting to see how attendance is allowed, from what I've seen so far from the AD I'll be on the outside looking in.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
That would make sense except UT has to be unanimous at 2nd other then their one 1st vote to get to 73 total. I think @mred is right that something is off.

470 points, some must of voted ties and both got the higher number instead of halves like they should of.

Ok st has 36 but in 8th while OU has 33 in 7th. Yep something is messed up.

Link shows OSU with 26.

And the link adds up to 450 so I'm sure something is screwy.

Last edited:

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
Welp Baylor is the cream of the crop till proven otherwise. I can see UT being rated above us because of the coaching change, but the UT team will be learning his system so they could be vulnerable. Looking at the top tier of coaches in the B12 there is quite a bit of talent on that top tier, Kim, Vic, Pembley, and Bill. I think Sherri can still coach but man her recruiting has been rough lately.

@geewago is the youth of TCU why they've got them 9th? Pembly seems to be a pretty decent coach.

It'll be interesting to see how attendance is allowed, from what I've seen so far from the AD I'll be on the outside looking in.
Yes TCU lost a lot of their starting cast. The youth are talented but unproven. I am hearing from various fans that TT, TCU, OU & OSU are planning on allowing some fans in the arenas. I have season tickets purchased here. Who knows what will be allowed by game day.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
470 points, some must of voted ties and both got the higher number instead of halves like they should of.

Link shows OSU with 26.

9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1 = 45. 45 x 10 coaches = 450. So the total is correct.

On the link it shows Okie State with 26, not 36. Either the OP mis-transcribed the numbers or they corrected the story.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1 = 45. 45 x 10 coaches = 450. So the total is correct.

On the link it shows Okie State with 26, not 36. Either the OP mis-transcribed the numbers or they corrected the story.

What I'm saying is with Baylor and Texas being unanimous 1 & 2 and State pointing out better than a unanimous 3rd something is wrong and my thought of them rewarding ties with the higher point value is not the case because it does add up to 450 exactly.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Seems about right. We are coming off a decent year and pretty much have everyone back plus adding some highly regarded freshman. If Joens is Joens again and everyone else steps up incrementally we should be looking good. Plus, top to bottom, the league hasn't been strong in recent years so it's not like a murders row of teams to play through. We should be good for 2nd or 3rd if we stay healthy. Need to stay healthy, we don't have the numbers to have Scott, Wise and Johnson out periodically with injuries like last year. In particular, Scott and Kane need to stay healthy (pretty obvious, eh?) as our only bigs.

Reactions: C.John

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

Link shows OSU with 26.

the answer is Ives. Kim gets more votes than anyone else because she's Kim. LOL

SMP05

Oct 10, 2015
I feel like I have been out of the loop this summer/fall ~ but I was surprised to see that Vivian Gray transferred to Texas Tech.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
What I'm saying is with Baylor and Texas being unanimous 1 & 2 and State pointing out better than a unanimous 3rd something is wrong and my thought of them rewarding ties with the higher point value is not the case because it does add up to 450 exactly.
I would expect an error somewhere/somehow. 81, 73, 65, and the 4 extra ISU points given to KSU/WV/whoever.

Unless, I suppose, at least 4 coaches voted with ISU/Texas tied for 2nd and there was math involved either in the voting process or after the fact. Something like allocating 45 points however you like, other than max 9 points to a team, min 1 point per team, and you cannot have more than 1 team with 9 points. Hard to believe they would allow it to be that complicated, though.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron