Premier League

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
There's a lot of truth here, and your right that promotion to the Premier league is hugely beneficial from a financial side. But I will give the Premier league credit for at least splitting their own viewership pie evenly amongst the league. La Liga doesn't even try to do that, Last year Barcelona received 4 times as much as the bottom club in La Liga from their TV deal. They made twice as much as the club in 4th place. And that league was the driving force for the Super League.

Fans took what power they had and helped stop this. And unfortunately they will need to do so again in the future

Media revenue is more evenly distributed in the Premier League than in Spain, but it’s not equal. That changed 3 or 4 years ago I think when the big clubs got grumpy about sharing.

According to this, Liverpool made the most media revenue in the 19-20 season bringing in £174.6m. Norwich was last on the list earning £94.5m. Every one of the Big 6 clubs made at least £148m for the season.

I just noticed that these revenue numbers also include the merit payments for where you finished in the table so this isn’t exclusively media revenue. Liverpool got 35.5m for winning, Norwich got 1.8m for finishing 20th.

• Informative
Reactions: brett108

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Media revenue is more evenly distributed in the Premier League than in Spain, but it’s not equal. That changed 3 or 4 years ago I think when the big clubs got grumpy about sharing.

According to this, Liverpool made the most media revenue in the 19-20 season bringing in £174.6m. Norwich was last on the list earning £94.5m. Every one of the Big 6 clubs made at least £148m for the season.

I just noticed that these revenue numbers also include the merit payments for where you finished in the table so this isn’t exclusively media revenue. Liverpool got 35.5m for winning, Norwich got 1.8m for finishing 20th.
A big piece of this is the "facility fees". Teams that have more than 10 games aired live get additional fees per game. In 19-20 that netted Liverpool ~£20 million more than the teams who got the minimum of 10 games.

And the big six arent going to stop trying to get a bigger piece of that pie because they know they carry the TV deal value.

So while it's more fair than other leagues, it's getting less and less fair in reality to all the other clubs. Especially since you can basically bank on the big six finishing top ~8 most every year and the merit payments give them another big chunk of change above the smaller clubs.

Not to mention that is all on top of huge advantages in their own revenue streams.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
1 Arsenal goal away from an all England Champions and Europa Final..

I'm only a casual fan of soccer.. But it appeared that Premier League teams had fallen behind the other top clubs. Has the tide shifted back to England or is this just a lucky year?

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006

I'm only a casual fan of soccer.. But it appeared that Premier League teams had fallen behind the other top clubs. Has the tide shifted back to England or is this just a lucky year?

I don’t think this is a demonstration of the power of the Premier League. There’s a level of randomness in knockout competitions that levels the playing field. The best team doesn’t always win, it’s like the playoffs or March Madness here in the States.

Also, Real Madrid and Barcelona are running on fumes as they are clubs that are trying to squeeze the last bit of life out of aging squads as well as overcome horrible personnel decisions.

• Winner
Reactions: cyguy9320

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA

I'd say its more like the reign of the Spanish teams is over. They were clearly superior with a run of 6 (?) in a row but now they're getting old. Bayern won last year vs PSG in the final, so I don't think we can say England is dominant at this point.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
As a neutral, I’m glad somebody got a goal in this CL final before half. It should make the second half much more fun to watch than a match knotted up in a draw.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Has anyone gone across the pond to see a Premier League or Bundesliga match in person? We are contemplating a European trip over Christmas and considered looking into catching a match.

Any tips on chasing down tickets would be appreciated. I've done some research, but with so many resale sites, I don't feel like being swindled on an international level.

dmg89

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2008
West Des Moines
Has anyone gone across the pond to see a Premier League or Bundesliga match in person? We are contemplating a European trip over Christmas and considered looking into catching a match.

Any tips on chasing down tickets would be appreciated. I've done some research, but with so many resale sites, I don't feel like being swindled on an international level.

I've been to the Emirates twice to see Arsenal. I had similar concerns about resale tickets, so I paid for a membership and then bought resale tickets directly from the team. I think a lot, if not all of the teams in the premier league technically require that for you to go, which is what scared me away from the 3rd party sites. The only catch with doing that is that everyone you go with will need to buy a membership, but even with that I think I paid maybe $80 a ticket.

It's a little dated now, but I found this book to be useful and the majority of the teams are still the same.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Go through a reputable ticket outlet. Book a few days padding before and after around Xmas. Fixtures will be rearranged for television and you will get about a ten second notice the match has been moved and probably no train to get home from said match.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I've been to the Emirates twice to see Arsenal. I had similar concerns about resale tickets, so I paid for a membership and then bought resale tickets directly from the team. I think a lot, if not all of the teams in the premier league technically require that for you to go, which is what scared me away from the 3rd party sites. The only catch with doing that is that everyone you go with will need to buy a membership, but even with that I think I paid maybe $80 a ticket.

It's a little dated now, but I found this book to be useful and the majority of the teams are still the same.

Thanks. I saw the membership option and was wondering if that was the way to go. I assumed I'd be looking at $120-ish per ticket (based on the match-up) so anything less would be a nice surprise.

globogym6

Jan 12, 2019

Did the same in 2017. Saw Arsenal v Man U at the emirates in December. We signed up for an Arsenal America membership account, you are able to request tickets through them. Just my dad and I so the membership fee of $25 wasn’t a huge deal and tickets were around $120 a piece. We requested tickets very early though (July), not sure how far out to book to see a lesser team. Man U at home was a category A game so we tried to request as early as possible. It will take a couple months to get the confirmation for tickets if you go that route.

• Informative

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World

The Bundesliga has a winter break which looks like it starts Dec 19th and ends Jan 7 for this upcoming season. So if you are traveling in those dates the Premier League is your only option out of those two leagues.

• Informative

spk123

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Des Moines

Have also been to see Arsenal a couple of times - Arsenal America are great to go through (they are super helpful, in one case I ended up going over last minute, and past the deadline to request tickets, but they were still able to get some for me). However this season their ticket availability is still uncertain (last I heard) because of COVID protocols, especially for international fans. Otherwise, going through the club itself is also a great option.

Also worked in Germany for a while and went to numerous Bundesliga (as well as lower division) games at a few different stadiums (Hertha and Union in Berlin, Wolfsburg, Nuremberg, Magdeburg, maybe a couple others). Generally tickets are easier (and way cheaper because most German stadiums allow safe standing areas) to get than England, except perhaps at Dortmund or Bayern Munich and/or for big games.

• Informative

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
City should still win the league since they have two squads and spent over 1 billion pounds on players since Pep arrived. Chelsea will challenge especially since they got Lukaku back for 97 million pounds. Being a Liverpool fan I hope they win it. United are managed by a PE teacher so they won't win the league. Going to be an interesting ride for sure.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Brentford draw even with Liverpool 3-3 in a really fun match. If anyone needs a second team to root for, give them a watch.

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
Brentford draw even with Liverpool 3-3 in a really fun match. If anyone needs a second team to root for, give them a watch.
A coworker got me into following the Premier League a couple years ago. I didn't want to be a bandwagon fan, so I picked Brentford in the EFL Championship when it looked like they would be promoted in 2019. It didn't turn out in 2019, but at least they snuck in to promotion in 2020. Glad to see they're making waves in the Premier League this year and should hopefully stay out of relegation.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
A coworker got me into following the Premier League a couple years ago. I didn't want to be a bandwagon fan, so I picked Brentford in the EFL Championship when it looked like they would be promoted in 2019. It didn't turn out in 2019, but at least they snuck in to promotion in 2020. Glad to see they're making waves in the Premier League this year and should hopefully stay out of relegation.

They will get found out once teams see how they play but they will definitely stay in the league they are already on their way to safety usually 40 pts or so. As a Liverpool fan it sucked but they are a likeable team with good team chemistry and coaching.