'Powerbroom'

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Anyone have any experience with a powerbroom or powersweep?
Have some gravel in the grass from the plow coming through this winter and am tired of spending my evenings raking/picking it out by hand.
Here's an example:
Trying to convince the wife I need one.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Have some gravel in the grass from the plow coming through this winter and am tired of spending my evenings raking/picking it out by hand.
Here's an example:

An interested party here, as well. I almost pulled the trigger on one last year, but have no experience with them and they aren’t cheap.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Here's an example:

I've been wondering too. My wife actually wants me to buy one, but I barely got time to mow let alone do this.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I was just thinking of this sort of thing. I mean given my road building acumen and all. Really need to design a rake of some sort they can put on the Road Graders to get the rock back on the road. It would keep all the rock out of the yards and save them money on having to buy new rock for the roads. It shouldn't be that hard to get a decent design.

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
They don't get rocks out of grass....at least they don't get all of the rocks out of the grass. The ones they do get out of the grass often fly across the drive into the grass on the other side.

For years I had a 1/4 long gravel driveway...every spring I was cussing like sailor out there dicking with rocks.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Not worth the money. We bought a couple at the golf course and they are now collecting moth balls. They are also heavy as hell.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
They don't get rocks out of grass....at least they don't get all of the rocks out of the grass. The ones they do get out of the grass often fly across the drive into the grass on the other side.

For years I had a 1/4 long gravel driveway...every spring I was cussing like sailor out there dicking with rocks.

I tried to order 5 dump truck loads of new rock Monday but was told it'll be a couple weeks before the 2 local quarry's get their inventory build back up

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames

What did you end up doing?
Moving and paving aren't an option for the foreseeable future and the plow really did a number on our 400 feet of gravel drive, seems like a pretty versatile head, I don't need to get every last piece of gravel out, but we have piles scattered through the edges and lawn.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
What did you end up doing?
Moving and paving aren't an option for the foreseeable future and the plow really did a number on our 400 feet of gravel drive, seems like a pretty versatile head, I don't need to get every last piece of gravel out, but we have piles scattered through the edges and lawn.

The best, most consistent and cheapest thing to use was a rake.

As another poster said, they are heavy and WAAAAAAAAAY overrated in my mind.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I was just talking to a friend about his a few weeks ago and he absolutely loves it. He's only had it for a season, but apparently it works well. I saw his before/after photos and it was amazing.

His wasn't the Stihl, but the Echo? but it looks really similar.

I want to get one to deal with nut shells (acorns, walnuts, hickory). Not convinced it'd work on something smaller though.

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS

Tell her to get her ass out there and help rake/pick them out by hand along side of you. If an hour of that doesn't convince her to ok the purchase, then move to Plan B...attempt to convince her what a wonderful job she does at picking them out and gradually let her take over that chore.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I want to get one to deal with nut shells (acorns, walnuts, hickory). Not convinced it'd work on something smaller though.

They make a thing you can just roll over lighter objects that picks them up. Not gas powered. Kind of like a slinky on a handle. Actually they’re designed for people who want to harvest the nuts, but it would serve your purpose. Check out any gardening catalog if interested.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I have the one in the OP. Works ok for getting rocks back where they belong. Works great for getting down to pavement on light snow.

Cons: heavy as all hell and stupid expensive.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
I tried to order 5 dump truck loads of new rock Monday but was told it'll be a couple weeks before the 2 local quarry's get their inventory build back up
Your lucky you have local quarries. Southwest Iowa is out of rock. Floods and wet conditions have taken all sources and emptied them. It is a bad situation that isnt going to get fixed real soon. There are no stockpiles within 50 miles of my location. And no quarries within 30.

• Informative
Reactions: isufbcurt

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
They make a thing you can just roll over lighter objects that picks them up. Not gas powered. Kind of like a slinky on a handle. Actually they’re designed for people who want to harvest the nuts, but it would serve your purpose. Check out any gardening catalog if interested.

People still get catalogs?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Any rental center worth its salt will have one you can rent for a couple hours for $20. I don't know why anybody would actually own one personally and I'm a guy with more power tools than most.

Reactions: cy4state