Possible huge snow storm next week?

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
And once again meterologists are wrong. What a profession to be in!

Care to elaborate on what exactly they were wrong on?

Forecast's starting ~Sunday night/Monday AM were pretty spot on. Hell, Brett even said as much on Friday/Saturday in a post to wait for the Sunday night/Monday AM model runs to get the best idea of track and impact totals.

North and west of here got hammered as expect with 8+ inches.

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
Snow day fail for central Iowa schools. So we may see another inch or 2 tonight? Better cancel tomorrow too!

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Well, with 2.5" on the ground in Des Moines and the snow stopped, I think this went pretty well. Temperatures were actually a degree or two warmer at 34/35 in Des Moines this AM than even I was expecting, so that slightly chewed into the first wave totals. But 1 to 2" tonight will still do the job for the 3.5 to 5.5 in Des Moines.

Looks like the biggest miss is going to be the Ames area, north and west of there was pretty accurate though.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
Looks like the biggest miss is going to be the Ames area, north and west of there was pretty accurate though.

Yeah somewhere along the transition line was going to bust, such a sharp changeover.

Though there are a couple of pockets of thundersnow again from Grand Junction to Zearing, so they might at least replace some of what has melted during the afternoon, haha.

Pretty rare to start and end with thundersnow 12 hours apart.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Still silly?

Looks like it was a good thing schools closed. Would have been out in some nasty conditions.

Yes, still silly.

I left for work at about 7am, after it had really started coming down, roads were getting slick but more slushy than packed snow. Made my 17 mile commute from Waukee to downtown in about 45 minutes, 10-15 minutes longer than usual but cruised along 235 at a leisurely 30-35mph. It was a nice easy trip in and no one else around me seemed to be fighting to remain in control of their vehicles.

Then, sitting in my office I see that everything is clearing up by around 10-11am or so, including the roads which were nothing more than wet with a bit of slush at that time.

Rural schools are a different story but there wasn't much of a reason to call off the metro schools today. I mean, we're in Iowa....we're prepared for this kind of stuff.

Meteorology is a tough job, and I think the local guys here do a great job with it. Things change in the atmosphere and it's really tough to predict, even with all of the technology available. I just think the school administrators should slow their roll a bit when making these decisions as it affects a lot of things downstream from them. But I also know that the litigious environment we live it now probably dictates a lot of the overreaction.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
How did they get today wrong? Seems like they were right on. Very hard to tell where exactly the above/below 32 degrees line is going to be exactly with this storm. Also said the snow would come in 2 waves. Seems like they were very accurate. If it weren't for them, you might have just assumed today was going to be 40 and sunny.

Called for 8-10 inches in our area and we got 2.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

If you are in Menlo you were right on the line where they were saying it was going to be very uncertain to what you were going to get. So, that's on you for not paying attention (assuming you are in menlo).

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
If you are in Menlo you were right on the line where they were saying it was going to be very uncertain to what you were going to get. So, that's on you for not paying attention (assuming you are in menlo).

No not really last night we were in the 8-10 inch area.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Now watch in Ames between the snow and the wind we get tonight/morning it will probably turn out worse then the 1st phase of stuff we got.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale

Nope, sorry, they were pretty accurate that there would be a sharp cutoff in totals along the southern edge. A shift of 10 - 20 miles was a several inch difference. If you were expecting them to be accurate to within a 2 - 3 miles radius....well that's on you.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
No not really last night we were in the 8-10 inch area.

Oops, my bad then. Weather reports suck, you better just ignore them in the future. You'll be better off.

Help Support Us

Become a patron