Pollard on KXNO

Status
Not open for further replies.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
I encourage everyone who hasn't heard it to listen to the podcasted 50 MINUTES of interview with Pollard. He give pretty candid and often insightful answers to administrative-level decisions re: strategy, brand, etc. Fantastic 50 minutes. I can't believe he gave Murph N Andy that much time.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I'm going to be in a minority here. I attended a university where beer was allowed in the stadium, open cups. I guess you haven't lived until you go home reeking of someone else's vomit & spilled beer.

/sarcasm

Seriously, if you would forego attending the games if you can't have beer, it begs the question...why the hell are you going to the game in the first place?

Before you say "you're only saying that because you're old and you don't want to have fun any more", I had the same opinion as a student.

I'm no Carrie Nation; I enjoy a drink now and then...but I don't understand the current mindset that you have to be blottoed to have a good time. And to be honest, I have less of a good time when the woman next to me (who tailgates heavily, and is close to my age) keeps falling into/onto me, and bathing me with her sour breath.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I'm going to be in a minority here. I attended a university where beer was allowed in the stadium, open cups. I guess you haven't lived until you go home reeking of someone else's vomit & spilled beer.

/sarcasm

Seriously, if you would forego attending the games if you can't have beer, it begs the question...why the hell are you going to the game in the first place?

Before you say "you're only saying that because you're old and you don't want to have fun any more", I had the same opinion as a student.

I'm no Carrie Nation; I enjoy a drink now and then...but I don't understand the current mindset that you have to be blottoed to have a good time. And to be honest, I have less of a good time when the woman next to me (who tailgates heavily, and is close to my age) keeps falling into/onto me, and bathing me with her sour breath.

I am not into alcohol, but after watching some of the last year games I could see drinking on the menu for many.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
You don't honor a player being killed in a game by playing the team that killed him as an anniversary tribute. Neither ISU nor Minnesota should consider that a good idea without regard to the 11 BCS team schedule part.

You could do a lot of things to honor the anniversary, but scheduling Minnesota for the game should not be one of them. Austria, Bosnia and Serbia didn't schedule parades along the 'assassination of Archduke Ferdinand' route to celebrate the 100th anniversary of that assassination this year, I don't think.

It wouldn't be Minnesota. It should be around the time of the actual anniversary. The ISU-UMN game in which Jack Trice played was October 6, 1923. Trice died on Oct. 8.

Looking ahead to 2023, October 7 is a Saturday. ISU should just work to get a home game for that weekend with the Big 12 and then use that opportunity to honor Jack Trice and wear the throwbacks again. It doesn't matter who the opponent is.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
It wouldn't be Minnesota. It should be around the time of the actual anniversary. The ISU-UMN game in which Jack Trice played was October 6, 1923. Trice died on Oct. 8.

Looking ahead to 2023, October 7 is a Saturday. ISU should just work to get a home game for that weekend with the Big 12 and then use that opportunity to honor Jack Trice and wear the throwbacks again. It doesn't matter who the opponent is.

Oh, I'd be completely fine with that, I was specifically responding to the comments by some that we should schedule Minnesota specifically FOR the anniversary.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Oh, I'd be completely fine with that, I was specifically responding to the comments by some that we should schedule Minnesota specifically FOR the anniversary.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you there. I can't imagine anyone in the Minnesota AD office thinking that that game, with that PR, would be smart for them.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I don't care either way on the booze thing, I can see both sides of it.

I think the current re-entry deal is a joke. I am assuming it stems from back when we were god-awful and no one would even go in the stadium if they couldn't re-enter. We are better than that now and the 3rd quarter atmosphere suffers from the rule.

IMO i think blame is misplaced on the beginning of 3Q atmosphere. There arent that many people leaving the stadium. If you want to know where the people are, look in the concourses and find the giant lines still there at that point thanks to poor operation\management of the concession stands and limited number of restrooms. I usually watch the band, and if i hit the concourse for water and\or restroom break, it usually means missing kickoff of the 3rd.

As for alcohol in the stadium, as far as im concerned people who want to drink are going to find a way. Theyre going to drink more before the game, theyre going to sneak in alcohol, or theyre going to go back to their tailgate if their tailgate is close. If drinking is going to happen no matter what, why forego a potential revenue source when we're a school that needs every single dime it can get? And why shy away from alcohol sales when we sell it at plenty of other events that fans\donors have access to (stage door, johnnys, club seating, meet the coaches night, etc, etc) and when one of our biggest gameday selling points is arguably the pre-game party (you better believe attendance would be nowhere near what it is without that)

Last edited:

HoibergIsMyHero

Mar 15, 2014
Seriously, you can't forego drinking for 3-4 hours without getting really ****** off?

Yeah I'd get PO'd if I couldn't get a drink for 4+ hours, especially if I'm watching us giving up 200 yards rushing to OSU. I work 40-60 hours during the week and would like to spend my saturday's watching football and drinking beer. Why should that be mutually exclusive?

Maybe it's just because I'm a recent college grad, and have a different mindset than some of you, but no need to pretend that we're having record ticket sales just because of the product on the field.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
IMO i think blame is misplaced on the beginning of 3Q atmosphere. There arent that many people leaving the stadium. If you want to know where the people are, look in the concourses and find the giant lines still there at that point thanks to poor operation\management of the concession stands and limited number of restrooms. I usually watch the band, and if i hit the concourse for water and\or restroom break, it usually means missing kickoff of the 3rd.

As for alcohol in the stadium, as far as im concerned people who want to drink are going to find a way. Theyre going to drink more before the game, theyre going to sneak in alcohol, or theyre going to go back to their tailgate if their tailgate is close. If drinking is going to happen no matter what, why forego a potential revenue source when we're a school that needs every single dime it can get? And why shy away from alcohol sales when we sell it at plenty of other events that fans\donors have access to (stage door, johnnys, club seating, meet the coaches night, etc, etc) and when one of our biggest gameday selling points is arguably the pre-game party (you better believe attendance would be nowhere near what it is without that)

I understand your revenue thoughts...what I really don't want to see is open cups of beer in the stands. Been there, done that. Like I said, I don't want to wear someone else's beer. At least when they sneak it in, it's in a closed container and less likely to spill when they jump up and throw their hands in the air on a good play. :)

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I understand your revenue thoughts...what I really don't want to see is open cups of beer in the stands. Been there, done that. Like I said, I don't want to wear someone else's beer. At least when they sneak it in, it's in a closed container and less likely to spill when they jump up and throw their hands in the air on a good play. :)
I really don't care either way, but if I had to choose, alcohol sales in the stadium would be nice. I wouldn't mind sipping on a couple beers throughout the game.
Back to your point, I agree 100%. Plastic draws just create a mess. My favorite was always those 16oz plastic bottles. So much better than cans and plastic cups.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I really don't care either way, but if I had to choose, alcohol sales in the stadium would be nice. I wouldn't mind sipping on a couple beers throughout the game.
Back to your point, I agree 100%. Plastic draws just create a mess. My favorite was always those 16oz plastic bottles. So much better than cans and plastic cups.

I would have waaaaaay fewer objections if they could provide it in containers that, while not entirely spill proof, are certainly less likely to be upended over your seat mates. :)

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
He commented that "people ran off Earle Bruce off - didn't think he was good enough after three straight 8-3 seasons. We'd take that in a heartbeat today."
As if Earle would have turned down Ohio State if he was appreciated here more? That's hard to believe.

People were constantly complaining about Bruce's boring offense, especially during his first three 4-7 seasons. Think Woody Hayes and three yards in a cloud of dust. They were still complaining when he went 8-3 a couple of times. But I think just when we were starting to get used to him and his offense and his 8-win seasons, he left for Ohio State.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Who would have guessed this would have devolved into a debate between teetotalers and people who enjoy drinking. I am shocked. :wideeyed:

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
We probably ran him off just like we did Tom Herman.

Besides, Earl won a national championship as an assistant at Ohio State underneath Woody Hayes and alongside Lou Holtz. Ohio State was probably a dream job for him.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I'm not a teetotaler, but don't let that stop you from accusing me of it.

Fair enough, I am not either but the two sides always butt heads in these discussions. Its just the same ole same ole from people every time this is debated.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
What would Jack Trice look like with alcohol sales? It would become Kinnick Stadium II. The introduction of alcohol into that environment is a recipe for disaster and lots of complaints. I'm for the option of taking care of it in the parking lots.

Status
Not open for further replies.