Pollard: big announcement coming soon

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
so where in the f**k will football game day parking be

I mean, even if you built something as large as power and light, if you actually look at the scale of our parking lots it would take away a single lot.

hYKhdEC.jpg

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I hope whatever the plan is with the area )most of which needs to be redone at this point anyway as it is falling apart) that we see:

- more things to separate pedestrian from vehicle traffic
- replace the ditches with underground water retention, replace with more flat grass (for tailgating usage) or parking. This could make up for a good chunk of what might be lost from the other things being proposed.
-raised walkways over university, particularly towards the S16th end- there is a big conflict between pedestrian traffic and vehicles here.
- a wide sidewalk to the east of the road ringing the stadium- again to separate pedestrian and vehicle traffic more.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I’ve often imagined JTS/Hilton being by campus town and more on-campus. I get why it was not done, but it would have added to the vibe had they been on the north end of campus town or on the west side on campus where other growth has since occurred.

A master-planned, urban-development level investment in the front door of ISU has been elusive. If you’ve been to other college towns, it’s crazy how a town-gown-AD partnership hasn’t capitalized on a huge opportunity to invest, commercialize, and monetize the massive out-of-town traffic brought in by ISU AD.

In terms of hotel/convention/parking garage, right by Hilton should crush it, particularly if they could use it to carve out more space in Hilton for a extra premium Johnny’s. There are so many basketball games that you’d draw a decent crowd just from those looking to avoid the cold. Plus it’s closer to the university.

On the other end, bookend the development with a NEZ complex and JTS east facade suite complex that also functions as a
commercial/entertainment area open more than home football games. Put in a monorail between MU-Hilton-JTS (okay that’ll never happen).

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
That's what I heard. RVs getting moved into the intramural field area or G7 as part of that whole deal.

Pushing donors out of G7 would be a really ballsy move IMO.... Several of these people have already been **** on and pushed out of the north lot.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Our current pressbox looks like **** compared to the rest of the stadium.

Go ahead and consider the logistics of making it bigger.

If you want to do that you probably also need to: knock the existing one down, build new supports for a new press box where existing concessions\restrooms are, so now you have to rebuild those. Not to mention that project would probably include some kind of concourse widening (or at that point maybe we put the designers to work as to how to add an upper concourse and enclose the concourses)

It all gets expensive really quick, when we aren't selling out our current suite space. Other stadiums have larger press boxes, but they don't have the space between the decks that we do.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009

If you want to do that you probably also need to: knock the existing one down, build new supports for a new press box where existing concessions\restrooms are, so now you have to rebuild those. Not to mention that project would probably include some kind of concourse widening (or at that point maybe we put the designers to work as to how to add an upper concourse and enclose the concourses)

It all gets expensive really quick, when we aren't selling out our current suite space. Other stadiums have larger press boxes, but they don't have the space between the decks that we do.
This. Also Pollard and media members have said our pressbox is on par for needs of the media. That's all that matters as far as a press box goes. There are way bigger needs than a new press box.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

It undoubtedly would be expensive.
You’d need to be a creative. It would likely need to be integrated into a multiple purpose, multiple stakeholder, massive scale project like enhancing the front door of ISU by adding a hotel/convention center and entertainment plaza to the Iowa State Center hmm.

I’m thinking a nice little hotel with event space attached to Hilton has good odds of getting built. To convert the north end of JTS over to Hilton into anything close to a P/L District would take coordination and investment by the AD, ISU, and city that hasn’t happened in 50 years.

Several pro owners have successfully developed similar projects adjacent or around their arenas. Basically the pro equivalent of college town around the stadium. They’re in much larger metros, but arguably have less residential/inherent fan bases and less natural events to draw patrons.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

Yeah, I agree the only way we do something with the Press Box/Sky Box, is to get more Club space whether that is to build club space in the Sky Box or convert current suite areas into club sections and build new suites in the sky box. or some combination of both. But I feel this may be a secondary option to others, because of the need to completely redo the entire concourse area because of the supports etc. that would need to be built.

While I think it is a nice dream there simply isn't the need, unless we are trying to add club space, which is needed more than suites at this point, but I still think there are other options for that before we go to the Sky Box.

Many people just don't understand those massive Sky Boxes at other venues have all the club sections, suites, and press in them for the entire stadium. This is not the case at JTS we have suites between decks plus club sections other locations, there are only a few suites up there the rest is all for the Media and teams etc.

There are other stadiums out there with just as small or smaller press boxes, West Virginia for one.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron