• Yes

Votes: 207 84.1%
  • No

Votes: 39 15.9%

• Total voters

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I spent most of my life in Iowa and I've never heard of kybo (from Davenport - no idea if that means anything).

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
I lived in eastern Iowa until I was 7 and then western Iowa until I was 13. Never heard it called a "kybo" until I moved to central Iowa after that. Now that I've lived out of state for the six years since college, I say it less and when I do, people have no idea what I'm referring to.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I lived in eastern Iowa until I was 7 and then western Iowa until I was 13. Never heard it called a "kybo" until I moved to central Iowa after that. Now that I've lived out of state for the six years since college, I say it less and when I do, people have no idea what I'm referring to.

We said it in central Iowa, but nobody anywhere else I've lived called them that. I lived in TN and KS and traveled extensively for work and I never heard it.

Let's face it, it doesn't come up a lot, but when you gotta go...

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I have found that people that aren't from Iowa have know idea what this is.

It's a Des Moines thing. I grew up near Waterloo and had never heard it before.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I was at the gun range here in TX the other day and had one prairie dogging on me. Looked at my buddy and said "do they have a Kybo here?" He looked at me and laughed, "I haven't heard that in 15 years!" I laughed and said, "hell I hadn't THOUGHT that word in 15 years!"

• Funny
Reactions: Macloney

rdtindsm

Jan 30, 2008
Be careful what you ask for. This will be absolutely more than you want to know. This is after some idle web surfing off and on over several years and is more of an over view than an academic research project. Some bits and pieces may be considered apocryphal, but seem to ring true.

The term “kybo” seems to originate from summer camps, both in scouting or other private camps and more in the northeast referring to a brand of flour that came in cans that were repurposed to store the lye used to control odor in outhouses.

I first heard the term on Tagbrai (Third annual bike ride across Iowa, IIRC) I don’t know if the first RAGBRAI actually had an acronym.
Kaul and Karras in a column just sort of invited people to ride across the state with them and woke to find several hundred people waiting outside their motel. The second ride was SAGBRAI (Second Annual Great …) and the third one was TAGBRAI (Third annual ...). At that point, it was evidently an unsustainable naming convention and became RAGBRAI.

For that year and several years after, the porta-potties were actually branded “KYBO”. This should actually be a case study in a marketing course. They had “Kybo” branded tank tops and sweatbands. Even an unofficial and ad hoc Kybo queen was nominated. The war cry “Kybo” was yelled at the top of besotted lungs during all hours of the night. That no longer happens; you just hear doors slamming into the morning.

One of my sources suggested the word is endemic to two subcultures, those of summer camps of the northeast and RAGBRAI. Given the place the bike ride has in Iowa culture, I would accuse you of not being a true Iowan if you don’t know what the word means.

KYBO RECYCLING

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron