Phone Upgrade: The Decision

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
My contract is coming due with US Cellular on my Galaxy S3 next week. After reading reviews on the current iPhones and the upcoming Galaxy S6, its hard to discern which way to lean. Does the iPhone 6 hold its own against Galaxy? And is it worth moving up to the 6 Plus?

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
My contract is coming due with US Cellular on my Galaxy S3 next week. After reading reviews on the current iPhones and the upcoming Galaxy S6, its hard to discern which way to lean. Does the iPhone 6 hold its own against Galaxy? And is it worth moving up to the 6 Plus?

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/26/8294171/htcs-one-m9-release-date-price-usa

I'm looking at getting this one, reviews seem to be leaning towards the M9 being slightly better than the S6 but both are good phones

Last edited:

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Galaxy. I've had it since the very first one. Then had the S3 now the S5. Iphones confuse the hell out of me. Stick with what you know.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
From what I've seen the Galaxy S6 is the best phone you can get but the M9 is close.

I would doubt a phone as old as the iPhone 6 could compete with a new flagship.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I recommend taking your talents to the S6.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
So what about those looking to score a good deal on an older model...gotta be honest, don't know much about the HTC one, am familiar with Samsung and not interested in I-phone at all...so what's the HTC one M8 model like vs S5?

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
So what about those looking to score a good deal on an older model...gotta be honest, don't know much about the HTC one, am familiar with Samsung and not interested in I-phone at all...so what's the HTC one M8 model like vs S5?

I would take an S5 over an M8 for last years models, it seems from the testing that I am seeing is the new materials in the case of the S6 have lowered the reception on the phone. Which is why I give the new M9 and nudge over the S6

Also check out the One plus One https://oneplus.net/

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

If you're used to having something heavy in your hand, M8 wins.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I would take an S5 over an M8 for last years models, it seems from the testing that I am seeing is the new materials in the case of the S6 have lowered the reception on the phone. Which is why I give the new M9 and nudge over the S6

Also check out the One plus One https://oneplus.net/

Yeah, I was looking at that, I wasn't sure if it'd work on the network. Thinking of going with Total Wireless, which uses Verizon's network. They do BYO device, but you have to have the MEID # to check it on their website. Nice thing about a no contract carrier is they're cheap...bad thing is the devices they offer suck. Newest Samsung you can get thru them is an S3!

*Edit...MEID #, not CDMA #...was thinking about verizon being a CDMA network when I typed that.

Last edited:

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I too need a new phone here soon. Lots of love for the G6 in this thread. I just worry about getting a "highly reviewed" phone right at release but before the public gets a chance to try it and review it. I got the Samsung aviator when it was first released and the phone flat out sucked. It was US Cellular's first 4G phone but it was not good.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Still waiting for a phone with a great battery. I want to go 2-3 days without charging.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Still waiting for a phone with a great battery. I want to go 2-3 days without charging.

Don't you sleep? If you charge your phone while you're sleeping you should never need more than one day of charge. Even if my phone could go 2-3 days without charging I'd still charge it every night. And wireless charging makes that so much easier anyway I'd rather they invest more time/money into better wireless charging.