Paying for Iowa State

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Next year I will have two kids at Iowa State. One is currently a junior in ME and the other one is still trying to decide her major. Both will be on out of state tuition. Iowa State does a really good job of getting the out of state tuition down to where it is comparable to a similar in state school without scholarships. The requirements are clear and awarded based on your University application. They also award a scholarship if your parents are alumni. Beyond that, things seem to get tough. You should try to apply for departmental scholarships, but I expect the Engineering college to be really competitive. My daughter just applied for a departmental scholarship in Human Sciences and was given $3000 per year. She was in a similar situation as the OP. After visiting a bunch of schools, she kept comparing everything to her experiences at Iowa State. Her issue was that she was a finalist for a Lilly scholarship. It is a full ride to any school in Indiana. After much thought, she decided that she liked Iowa State the most, but Butler was close enough that she could be happy going there too. You need to decide if you can be happy at Missouri. If it is a close second to ISU, you should probably take the opportunity of a less expensive education. If you wont be happy there, then I would follow your heart to Iowa State. It is a great school. Work hard, get your ME degree and then you can get a job that will allow you to pay off any debt from school. In the end, my daughter didn't win the Lilly scholarship, but it is ok because now she gets to go to her favorite school.

Reactions: NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron