Overrated chant

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Of course the B team announcers which I had a difficult time listening to had to bring it up too. They also had a hard time saying Wigginton out played Young and seemed like they were hoping for a Sooner win. Great win.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The only version of this I have approved was as a kid in the NCAA second round Duke was beating Iowa after they had a first round win over the mighty Cambell Camels. The Duke fans started chanting "Campbell's Better" when they were giving the hawks a beat down.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I don't want this thread to take away from a great win and atmosphere in Hilton.

But students, please stop. Seriously. It's embarrassing.

Way to go clones. Great game.

I think your post is funny but thee OverRated chant has been a staple at Hilton since the days of Barry Stevens ... Jeff Grayer who was there today. Way 2 go Cyclones

Last edited:

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
What I wish they would have chanted was "Just like football".

I think you always take the opportunity to rub that in. I know that the basketball players could care less, but it would certainly get under their fans skin.

It's not a chant we could have used often in the past, hope it's an option more in the future :)

P.S. Students did a good job showing up today. Make it even better on Tuesday. A hawk is a hawk, is a hawk. Hate them all and they must be destroyed

Last edited:

FredCyclone

Sep 30, 2017
Students are dumber nowadays :D

There were no mobile phones with cameras back in the day to expose the stupidity of young adults. Every generation has its young idiots. Newer generations are actually getting more civilized in America.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
It shall be bored that this just isn't our students. Many student sections do this...

FredCyclone

Sep 30, 2017
I don’t think anyone gives a **** besides CF and apparently the announcers, whom I had on mute after the first thousand Trae Young mentions.
I always watch ISU games on mute and then turn up the volume when we go on a run. :)

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
I mean cyclone alley is embarrassing on most occasions, but at least this chant was stifled out pretty quick, as opposed to those dumbass dilly dilly shirts being broadcast all game.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The only version of this I have approved was as a kid in the NCAA second round Duke was beating Iowa after they had a first round win over the mighty Cambell Camels. The Duke fans started chanting "Campbell's Better" when they were giving the hawks a beat down.

Yeah, the only time i don't really mind 'overrated' is if you're the higher rated team and you're basically saying 'GTFO of here, you don't belong'. Even then, why diminish the win you just achieved?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
While we're ******** about minor things after a win, what's with the audio in hilton lately? I feel like the intro has been thrown off with the bass turned way down. The arena is terrible at clapping along to anything when the beat isn't there due to low volume.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
What are you guys talking about? They’re just keeping up the **** McGary chant tradition

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
I think your post is funny but thee OverRated chant has been a staple at Hilton since the days of Barry Stevens ... Jeff Grayer who was there today. Way 2 go Cyclones

I don't know if I would go as far as calling it a staple, but I agree with the sentiment. I was a student in the mid-late 90s and it happened then. And has happened off and on over the last 20 years. Not the best chant but not that big of a deal.

I would rather have the students chanting that as opposed to yelling racial slurs or spitting on the opposing team.