OT - Cutting Cable

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Direct TV is runnning a Holiday Loyalty Program @ 800-778-3397. I know quite a few people that have gotten $60 off per month for next year. Best part is call only took 3 minutes.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Kinda tempted to go back to Directv. Offering $30/m for a year then like 45/m over the next year. PS Vue just went up to $55. Ugh I do not want to do that.

cypher

Jan 21, 2012
NW Iowa
Sorry if this has been talked about already, but has anyone tried Galactic stream or know much about it?

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Direct TV is runnning a Holiday Loyalty Program @ 800-778-3397. I know quite a few people that have gotten $60 off per month for next year. Best part is call only took 3 minutes.
I called into this phone number and asked about the loyalty program they have and I got $60 off of my bill for the next 12 months- pretty much no strings attached not locked into an extended contract or nothing. I also cancelled Showtime I was getting so it ends up being about a $80 savings for the next year.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Signed up for Hulu with Live TV a few days ago. It's $40 a month (plus state sales tax wherever you are - I don't remember paying sales tax with Vue before). You get a channel lineup comparable to Vue's mid-tier, including sports channels, plus access to the Hulu catalog of material.

So far I think it's better. The streaming quality is just as good - quite good, and much better than Sling when I had that - and there is more stuff to watch. I would recommend it.

• Agree
Reactions: jc4cy

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Signed up for Hulu with Live TV a few days ago. It's $40 a month (plus state sales tax wherever you are - I don't remember paying sales tax with Vue before). You get a channel lineup comparable to Vue's mid-tier, including sports channels, plus access to the Hulu catalog of material.

So far I think it's better. The streaming quality is just as good - quite good, and much better than Sling when I had that - and there is more stuff to watch. I would recommend it.

Is there a DVR?

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016

No AMC though. At least last time I checked

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
So I’ve got calls from Mediacom and notices that I have a cable signal leakage. What is that and what does it mean? Thanks in advance.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
So, is there any way at all to stream the bowl game this weekend in the Ames/Des Moines area? I may try something like firstrowsports, but I wanted to do it legally.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
So, is there any way at all to stream the bowl game this weekend in the Ames/Des Moines area? I may try something like firstrowsports, but I wanted to do it legally.
Cheapest way is an over the air antenna.

Another possibility is to sign up for a free trial of Playstation Vue and use your login information to access Watch ESPN.

Reactions: mapnerd

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Does anyone know if ESPNU works outside of your home network on PS Vue? We have Christmas at my parents this weekend and apparently they don't get ESPNU. I was thinking about taking my firestick and using that to get the b-ball game Friday night but wasn't sure if ESPNU would work outside of my home network.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Does anyone know if ESPNU works outside of your home network on PS Vue? We have Christmas at my parents this weekend and apparently they don't get ESPNU. I was thinking about taking my firestick and using that to get the b-ball game Friday night but wasn't sure if ESPNU would work outside of my home network.
PSVue won't work outside your network.
You should be able to get Watch ESPN on your firestick and use your PSV login to access it.

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

I wish I had the answer. When I moved my PS Vue was still getting all of the California channels even when streaming in the new place.

Then it was cut off and they couldn't get me on for a while. So.....maybe.

Watch ESPN should be an option?

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
So I just got Youtube TV (I'm not paying for it but a friend of mine included me on his account). Seems like a really good package if you mainly want to watch live sports. The other channels leave a little to be desired, but who am I to complain. It also has a dvr, which is nice. I've only used it to catch a glimpse of some bowl games yesterday but it seems to work pretty well. One downside is that there isn't a roku app yet, so I have to send it from my phone to the tv.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
PSVue won't work outside your network.
You should be able to get Watch ESPN on your firestick and use your PSV login to access it.

I didn't realize you could use your PS Vue log in to access the WatchESPN app. I had been using my mediacom credentials and the only content I could access was ESPN3. I just used my PS Vue log in and my problem is solved! Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: DSMCy

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
Cheapest way is an over the air antenna.

Another possibility is to sign up for a free trial of Playstation Vue and use your login information to access Watch ESPN.

I actually have a subscription to Vue, so that's cool. Are you sure the game will be on the Watch ESPN app? I also have a chromecast so I would probably use that device. Thanks!

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I actually have a subscription to Vue, so that's cool. Are you sure the game will be on the Watch ESPN app? I also have a chromecast so I would probably use that device. Thanks!
Games on ABC are on Watch ESPN. They come in as an ESPN3 channel.

Reactions: mapnerd

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
So I have been using PS Vue for a couple of months now and have no major issues to complain about. The wife has even come around to it. But since it looks like I am going to be a long time streamer, I am thinking about upgrading our wifi router. Still using an old N router, pretty sure an AC upgrade would be good.

So we have an older house and where the internet comes into the house is in a finished corner of the basement. So I really don't want to make a mess and run wired ports to the two tvs we have running PS Vue.

Should I be looking at just an 802.11 ac upgrade, or should I look into spending the extra bucks to get a tri stream router so I can put the two TVs on the extra 5Ghz signal. I should note that the 5ghz on my current router reaches both of the tvs fine now as it is. However, if we have multiple devices streaming from the 5Ghz it can get choppy.

So we have two apple TVs running PS Vue, two iPads and two phones. Those are the main devices in the house.