OT: Cord cutting questions

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
NBC's streaming service, Peacock, just launched today. The base package is free, and there appears to be an ad-free version for $4.99/mo. I just signed up for the free account and I'm able to watch live channels like NBC Sports. I'm pumped because there is a new Psych movie that launched today so I'll be watching that later tonight.

https://gizmodo.com/nbc-peacock-review-the-netflix-alternative-i-ve-been-w-1844383598

From the article:

Free with ads; $5/month for premium with ads; $10/month to go ad-free.

The key difference between free and premium is access to next-day episodes of current seasons and originals (the free tier will get new episodes after a week’s delay and will only have access to previews of originals).

Last edited:

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Everyone and their mom is going to have an app and/or streaming service. Going to get really disjointed and people will beg for some sort of service that puts them together in one package. And the cycle of life will continue.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Everyone and their mom is going to have an app and/or streaming service. Going to get really disjointed and people will beg for some sort of service that puts them together in one package. And the cycle of life will continue.

It's going to be interesting to see how this shakes out. I moved in December and just said screw it and re-upped with Dish because I have had zero trouble with it, I like their equipment, and I wanted the easy button. I'm hoping in a year and a half this has shaken out and it's clear cut that they are going away but when I did the math to get all the same things I was getting with Dish, it was saving me like $20/month and honestly, from what I saw from the Hulu DVR, the DVR abilities alone were worth it. I like having all our shows just sitting there. That said, if things continue like this I expect all the bells and whistles to catch up or get to a point where I don't need the DVR because everything is available to stream all the time.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
It's going to be interesting to see how this shakes out. I moved in December and just said screw it and re-upped with Dish because I have had zero trouble with it, I like their equipment, and I wanted the easy button. I'm hoping in a year and a half this has shaken out and it's clear cut that they are going away but when I did the math to get all the same things I was getting with Dish, it was saving me like $20/month and honestly, from what I saw from the Hulu DVR, the DVR abilities alone were worth it. I like having all our shows just sitting there. That said, if things continue like this I expect all the bells and whistles to catch up or get to a point where I don't need the DVR because everything is available to stream all the time.
Your total dish bill is $34.99?

Reactions: 1100011CS

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club

This would make the recent $15 price hike totally OK with me. Don't care about the Viacom channels so the hike was frustrating. Now, potentially not so much

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

This would make the recent $15 price hike totally OK with me. Don't care about the Viacom channels so the hike was frustrating. Now, potentially not so much
Are you sure there won't be another price increase?

cyclonemagic

Nov 26, 2006
Texas
Is anyone using fuboTV? I am mainly interested in sports -- ISU football / basketball and MN Vikings. fuboTV appears to have the best sports offering according to this article:

It already has ESPN, Fox, and NFL networks. The majority of Fox RSNs are also included. the cost is $60 per month.

Reactions: Acylum

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Is anyone using fuboTV? I am mainly interested in sports -- ISU football / basketball and MN Vikings. fuboTV appears to have the best sports offering according to this article:

It already has ESPN, Fox, and NFL networks. The majority of Fox RSNs are also included. the cost is $60 per month.
I switched from YTTV to Hulu after the big price increase. Last week I started looking more in depth at FuboTV and will probably switch again because of the sports channels.

Reactions: ghettocowboy4cy

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix

Bring it on. Since I cut the cord three years ago (maybe four?), I subscribe to what I want to, and I figured out I don't NEED TV. I just watched it because it was there. Now I watch stuff when I want to and if there's nothing I'm in the mood for, I don't watch TV. In the past I would have wasted time flipping channels and watching something even if I didn't really want to.

Turning on the TV is no longer a mindless habit, and I much prefer it that way.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I subscribed to SlingTV for a free 3 day trial to get NBCSN for the NHL Finals. I have some major issues with the service. I have a Roku TV, so some of it might be related to that.

1. Pause/rewind/recording/fast forward isn't available on all channels/programs/commercials. Yes, commercials. You can't just fast forward through them all, even on some previously recorded content.

2. Two times tonight, the stream jumped for no reason. During the hockey game tonight, it rewound by at least five minutes. I could not fast forward to get to back to where I was. On another show just now, I started watching the first few minutes then all of the sudden it jumped to minute 11. And its not easy to navigate back to where I was because of issue #1.

3. SlingTV with Roku interface is not channel surfer friendly. No easy way to search for a channel without continuous slow scrolling through 70ish channels. You can create a list of favorites, which helps, but I miss being able to type in channel numbers...

4. I pretty much only need a service like this for certain sports. Why am I paying $40-$70 per month to watch commercials? Plenty of content on Netflix and Amazon Prime, without commercials.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Made the switch from DTV to YTTV earlier this Summer and it has been a phenomenal decision. We have everything we want, without the thousand additional 'filler' channels. We also made significant changes to our phone and internet carriers. All in, we are saving more than $100/mo with the changes, and service / enjoyment has increased significantly.

Reactions: jdcyclone19

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
A little tip you can use to conserve data is to reduce the video quality down to 720p or even 480p. I'm retired and live by myself so often have the tv on just to keep me company. You can blow through your data pretty quickly at 1080p.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and cstrunk