Opposition Blitzes

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
I am not going to pretend to know more than the coaching staff but please explain to me why we aren't doing more screen plays and delayed throws out of the backfield to the best running back in the country when we know teams are going to blitz against us? Saving it for Texas?

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
My understanding is that those generally aren't plays you can primarily depend on because they can be easily blown up if they become predictable.

Plus screens like that generally require WRs that can block in space to really get them out fast. We seem to lack that; using TEs for this job slows the play down. Delayed throws require enough time to make the delayed throw without guys breathing down Purdy's neck already.

Ultimately what will open us up on these fronts... is better detection and stalling of blitzes.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
My understanding is that those generally aren't plays you can primarily depend on because they can be easily blown up if they become predictable.

Plus screens like that generally require WRs that can block in space to really get them out fast. We seem to lack that; using TEs for this job slows the play down. Delayed throws require enough time to make the delayed throw without guys breathing down Purdy's neck already.

Ultimately what will open us up on these fronts... is better detection and stalling of blitzes.

I think Purdy presenting a threat to run helps too. Not constantly by any stretch, but a few times per game by design and a couple when the opportunity presents itself, just to keep the defense worried rather than pinning their ears back.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I am not going to pretend to know more than the coaching staff but please explain to me why we aren't doing more screen plays and delayed throws out of the backfield to the best running back in the country when we know teams are going to blitz against us? Saving it for Texas?

I agree, but the handful of times we've tried jailbreaks to Hutchinson, quick screens to Milton, and swing screens to Hall, the execution has been abysmal. I'd like to see us release Hall down the sideline, but our pass protection sucks, so he is often left in the backfield to block. He did get out of the backfield a couple of times against Baylor for receptions, so that was encouraging.

Reactions: CyclonePigskin

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I wouldn't say our pass protection sucks necessarily. I mean you can't block more people than you have blockers, and we get blitzed a lot. Even so we've allowed the fewest sacks per game in the conference at 1.14 (and 25th nationally). Granted sacks are also avoided by good QB play - footwork within the pocket, feeling pressure, knowing when to leave the pocket, throwing the ball away, quick reads and releases, etc. - but they are certainly correlated. Coincidentally, we're also first in the conference and 36th in the nation in Tackles For Loss Allowed/Game at 4.86. And of course everyone knows what Breece is doing, partly due to his own abilities but also partly due to OL play. Given the carousel that we've seen on the OL this season, I think that's pretty good.

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
Clearly Campbell and Manning are reading this forum and saw my post. The delayed passes to Jirehl out of the backfield were awesome against the purple kitties. Too bad it took so long to adjust. ;)

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Odd as it may seem, screen passes are a difficult play. The timing and feel take a lot of work. Teams that run them well just know who blocks who, how the receiver will respond and many other small points. That’s why when it’s done well, they can go for large gains, but when off you can get pick sixes out of them.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The line is better this year but I still don't see the speed needed to get out there and do this.

Lang, Jr. on that type of thing is a nice thought too.

BTW where was he Saturday?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The line is better this year but I still don't see the speed needed to get out there and do this.

Lang, Jr. on that type of thing is a nice thought too.

BTW where was he Saturday?
He played, but wasn’t used a lot. I think they wanted to attack the middle more and that led to him not getting the ball.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Some of the problem too is it is not always easy to tell if a team is going to blitz. Teams show blitz and back out of it all the time. Or you recognize blitz, Check out of a play and thedefense checks out of their blitz.

If you are a good screen team and you play a team that is blitz heavy, you can bust some big plays.
Also, if a team brings a lot of rushers, especially against ISU, teams are going to be playing a lot of press man and jumping routes.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
As long as I have been a Cyclone fan I can count on 2 fingers the number of times I've seen us run successful RB screen.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
I don't know why teams don't blitz us constantly and play press man. Ok St did that and worked. We don't have burners to lob it up, a la Baylor with Briles. No RB screen game to worry about. The quick slant seems to be our only play against pressure.

I expect Texas to blitz and play press man, like they did last time we were in Austin. Hope Manning has something for it.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
I don't know why teams don't blitz us constantly and play press man. Ok St did that and worked. We don't have burners to lob it up, a la Baylor with Briles. No RB screen game to worry about. The quick slant seems to be our only play against pressure.

I expect Texas to blitz and play press man, like they did last time we were in Austin. Hope Manning has something for it.
The answer to your question depends on how Texas is structuring it's blizt package and where the pressure is coming from.

But we have four basic answers.
1. Dump or hand the ball off to Breece Hall up the middle for 20+ yards or a TD.
2. Quick slant or crossing route to X or one of the TEs for 5 to 20 yards if Breece is going to stay in to block blitzers.
3. Purdy escapes the rush up the middle for 0 to 20 yards.
4. Purdy just throws the ball in the dirt near one of our receivers to avoid the sack.

#1 should scare the hell out of any Defensive Coordinator.

Last edited:

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

This isn’t the total answer but Brock can be quite mobile.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Odd as it may seem, screen passes are a difficult play. The timing and feel take a lot of work. Teams that run them well just know who blocks who, how the receiver will respond and many other small points. That’s why when it’s done well, they can go for large gains, but when off you can get pick sixes out of them.

Yeah, seems like one of those plays that are easy to recognize when you see almost all the defensive line miraculously get through almost instantly, and the offensive line shifting to one side. A good linebacker with the right assignment could see it coming.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yeah, seems like one of those plays that are easy to recognize when you see almost all the defensive line miraculously get through almost instantly, and the offensive line shifting to one side. A good linebacker with the right assignment could see it coming.
Defensive line is the key, when you get through too easy you have to slam in the brakes, but a couple still have to rush the QB to force the action or you can get a deep throw. The oline has to be able to sell that they didn’t block well, a hit and chip and turn them loose.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
While I suspect Texas will blitz some, they now have Chris Ash as DC, and he is not a blitz crazy as the last guy. Their pass defense is the worst in the conference, and that is something you earn over time, so I expect some guys to get open.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron