Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I realize this movie has been discussed in other, past, movie related threads, and I remember there being very mixed reviews on this board when it came out and in the near immediate couple weeks after it’s release. Some down right hated it (naming it as the worst movie they had seen lately in one thread).

I really enjoyed the movie when it first came out in theaters, and I have watched it quite a few times again (nothing else to do) on STARZ. I personally feel like the movie gets better for me each time I watch it. I pick up on something new, little Easter eggs I didn’t notice before, more appreciation for certain scenes, etc.

Now that it has been on STARZ for a while, I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to take in another (or more) viewing lately, and if additional viewings changed your opinion of it, one way or the other.

Reactions: ATCy

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
I've only seen it once and liked it but could definitely see it being one that gets better with each watch. I'll let you know when I get around to watching it again.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I haven't watched it a second time, but I liked it pretty well. Not all time great well, but very good (I'm a Tarantino fan, and his stuff almost always hits my tastes).
I read that as testes at first glance.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I've only seen it once and liked it but could definitely see it being one that gets better with each watch. I'll let you know when I get around to watching it again.

One of the main things for me is just how good I think DiCaprio is in this role. I have never been a fan of his acting “style”. Not sure if “style” is the right word, but I’ve always felt he was an over actor. As I’ve watched the movie more and more though, I think he is fantastic in this role. Pitt got all the love for his work, which is very solid, but I think DiCaprio should have been given more credit than he received. Honestly think he did a better job, with a more difficult role, than Pitt.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I received the DVD as a Christmas present, so I will definitely be able to watch it again. Tarantino's movies lend themselves to multiple viewings for sure.

BONUS: The vixen has become a QT fan (mainly owing to Christoph Waltz's performances), so she has agreed to watch this, too. I may tell her to look away during the denouement.

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
Great acting, lackluster plot, not your normal Tarantino flick. I have watched a couple additional times since came on Starz to see if it would grow on me and it hasn't. Pitt was really good, but can't believe DiCaprio got overshadowed, thought he was great.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I might have built it too much in my head, due to the cast and I typically like Tarantino movies, but I thought it was horrible.
I almost just turned it off half way through.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
The acting was as good as it gets. DiCaprio would have won the Oscar if it wasn’t for Phoenix’s all time great performances. The problem with the movie is its two and half hours(?) of not much just to get to the last scene. The story is terrible.

weeterkane

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2009
DM
I own it and it has gotten better each viewing. It's up there on my ranking of Tarantino movies. I think it's just a little above most of the mainstream audience appeals. I am a fan of this era of cinema it was highlighting (especially Italian movies), so this really hit a sweet spot for me. Tying in the Manson family elevated it even more...and that ending! Dang.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The story is terrible.

giphy.gif

BigD

Mar 12, 2014
I realize this movie has been discussed in other, past, movie related threads, and I remember there being very mixed reviews on this board when it came out and in the near immediate couple weeks after it’s release. Some down right hated it (naming it as the worst movie they had seen lately in one thread).

I really enjoyed the movie when it first came out in theaters, and I have watched it quite a few times again (nothing else to do) on STARZ. I personally feel like the movie gets better for me each time I watch it. I pick up on something new, little Easter eggs I didn’t notice before, more appreciation for certain scenes, etc.

Now that it has been on STARZ for a while, I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to take in another (or more) viewing lately, and if additional viewings changed your opinion of it, one way or the other.
I agree 100%. My expectations were too high going in at the theatre. But I've watched it several times on STARZ and enjoyed it more and more each time.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I liked it, but I also caught it right after DiCaprio and Pitt were on Marc Maron's WTF podcast. It made me appreciate it more.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
It was probably 4th on my list of top movies this year, maybe 3rd. But I have had no issue re-watching it. Seen it 3 times now and it doesn't lose it's luster for me.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
I finally saw it about a month ago and loved it. I realize there isn't much of a story but I still really liked it. I love Tarantino movies and you wouldn't know this was one until the last 10 minutes.

CyOps

Jul 12, 2010
Lincoln
Watched it without knowing much about it. Read up on the Manson Family and watched it again. That kind of made it more interesting. I wasn't familiar with the ranch or the back story on Polanski's house.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Saw it once in the theater and really liked it. I'm sure I'll end up owning it at some point. I am anxious to see it again to see if it's as memorable as I think it was.

ATCy

Jun 3, 2015
I watched it for the first time last weekend and really liked it. I didn't know much about the plot going in and thought it was pretty slow until I slowly started to realize how it was tying into the Manson aspect. The real history in the movie along with the fictional main characters intertwining I thought was phenomenal. As always, the dialogue in Tarantino movies was hilarious and the ending was good. I will definitely be watching it again and will probably pick up on more things every time.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron