On That Note: New ’22

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
what would be your review be of this album?
I haven't absorbed it fully start-to-finish enough to have an accurate review. I keep intending to do it, but honestly wasn't aware of its release until this fall, so doing some catch-up. I like several of the tracks. Do you have an assessment of the LP?

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
I haven't absorbed it fully start-to-finish enough to have an accurate review. I keep intending to do it, but honestly wasn't aware of its release until this fall, so doing some catch-up. I like several of the tracks. Do you have an assessment of the LP?
a couple thoughts:
1. IMO, it isn't as much of stereotypical "country music" as some imply. I can see a few influences.
2. could have been a normal length album and not a double LP
3. translates well to the live show
4. gets better with each listen, but I didn't care for the album much at first. I like it better than the Ode to Joy album.

Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
a couple thoughts:
1. IMO, it isn't as much of stereotypical "country music" as some imply. I can see a few influences.
2. could have been a normal length album and not a double LP
3. translates well to the live show
4. gets better with each listen, but I didn't care for the album much at first. I like it better than the Ode to Joy album.
Thanks!

I'll make an effort to give it some complete plays and assess.

Also I'm still catching up w/ complete Ode to Joy absorption. I've gotten behind the curve with Wilco ever since "Schmilco."

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The new EV Chevy commercial brought back fond memories via the commercial's use of Fleeetwood Mac's "Everywhere."

Had never heard of The Meters even though I listen to alot of R&B, Soul, 60's, and 70's
Here's "Cissy Strut"

Somehow I came across "A Fool In Love" by Tina Turner. Never heard this before.
Here's the 1965 version and then 2000.

Isley Brother's "Lay Away" was new to me in 2022.

RIP Chris McVie. My favorite part of FM and a vintage hottie.

Reactions: matclone

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Joe Ely was inducted into the Austin City Limits Hall of Fame on 10/27/22, although I guess the show won't appear until 1/8/23. Here is one of my favorites of his--the rare storytelling song that captures the imagination (I think of Dylan's "Hurricane" for something similar)

Hola, my Theresa, I am thinking of you now in San Antonio
I have 27 dollars and the good luck of your picture framed in gold
Tonight I'll put it all on the fighting spurs of Gallo Del Cielo
And then I'll return to buy the land Villa stole
From father long ago

Last edited:

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Upon hearing of the tragic passing of Naomi Judd earlier this year, I came across this recording with the Judd's 1991 Farewell Tour. Once I started listening, I just stayed in the moment through its entirety. I was a fan beginning in the 80's, and recall that Naomi was not well. It often happens that band members go solo, sit it didn't seems so strange at the time. But fasting forward, where did those 31 years go?

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
So this band showed up in my YouTube feed when the lead singer did a cover of tenacious d's Kickapoo and jack black posted his "reaction" Any who I subscribed as they have some talent. Here is the new song they released yesterday on the YouTube.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
what would be your review be of this album?
You motivated me to do a full listen -- I had to break away a few times, but I got a good general impression, I like a lot of it. Jotted a few notes. I'll save those details for another day. Chock-full of outstanding lyrics (among numerous songs). Sonically/conceptually cohesive.

Reactions: drlove

DJSteve

Apr 29, 2010
Ames
www.stevesmobilemusic.com
Aside from Lizzo stuff already mentioned, this is about the only song I know of that came out this year that I actually like: I Ain't Worried - OneRepublic (from Top Gun)

FWIW, I've been DJing school dances for 22 years... and it seems like the past year or two especially we've been playing very little new stuff and way more 2005-2015 "throwbacks" like Kesha, Fergie/Black Eyed Peas, Pitbull, Flo Rida. That seems consistent both with what gets requested during events, and what gets the biggest response from students.

Reactions: Cydar

DJSteve

Apr 29, 2010
Ames
www.stevesmobilemusic.com
I've had a few recent finds on the "newly discovered" front, though... so splitting this out in a separate post.

I have pretty broad musical tastes, possibly bordering eclectic. When it comes to hip hop, I've always been a big fan of Jurassic 5, but they've been broken up for almost 15 years at this point, and the vast majority of rap/hip-hop that's mainstream popular does nothing for me. While working on some house remodeling I felt like scratching that itch, so fired up a bluetooth speaker, started a new pandora station, and finally found some more melodic/musical hip-hop that I actually like: Hilltop Hoods (from Australia), Atmosphere and Brother Ali (on Rhymesayers label out of MSP), and Classified (Canadian). None of these are real new, but don't think any of these artists have had much, if any mainstream success in the US.