***Okie St Week Thread***

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Why do you think we would win by over 2 scores?
1) Spencer Sanders isn't that great (58% completion percent, 7.5 yards per attempt) and he's had some much easier defenses so far than us
2) Warren is good, but not great
3) Overall, their offense is probably bottom third in FBS, and I'm counting P5 teams
4) Brock is doing pretty well
5) I'm really glad my score prediction made you think about this for like 3 hours
6) Breece is heating up
7) Noel
8) it's Brocktober

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Obviously from my handle, I'm an OSU fan.

In regards to ISU and OSU interactions, I've been to games up there around 10 times (not coming tomorrow) including 2011. The fans are always fantastic always ready for a conversation and a beer. Very similar to OSU fans. Some might not like to hear it, but I think that both of our schools learned a lot about how to be good hosts from Nebraska when they were in conference. Of course it was easier to be a friendly host fan base when for decades you really didn't have to worry much about losing. But in reality, neither ISU or OSU were big tailgating campuses until the last 20-25 years, so we both needed a role model and at least for OSU, Nebraska was ours.

For the game, it make perfect sense to me why the line is where it is. Our offense hasn't been good, Sanders is a capable QB, but he is not to the caliber of signal caller that OSU has been used to for the last 15+ years. He's definitely taken a step backwards without having much in the way of ready to play receivers. Tay Martin is our #1 receiver. He missed a couple games early in the year. We were supposed to have another senior WR, but he's hurt and from what I understand, has called it a career. In addition, we have Pressley, who is a sophomore that didn't play much before last year's bowl game. He's tiny, quick, and can destroy in open spaces. The problem is that we don't get him the ball in ways he can make plays. Then we have a bunch of Freshmen -the Green twins, Owens, Bray, and Cabbiness that all see the field during a game. So essentially Martin and 6 guys with little experience. They are getting better and better, but are still young and are learning. As always, we don't have much production out of our TE (which we call a cowboy back as they are hybrid fullbacks and tight ends) position. Our strength is our running game. Warren has been fantastic. He runs with more aggression than any OSU back in my memory (and that dates back to the Jimmy Johnson days). Some opposing players have said that tackling him is hard and it hurts. That is why he has been better after15 carries than before all season. He was supposed to be our #3 going into the season, but injuries to LD Brown and Dez Jackson (who should be back but won't start in front of Warren). We've been using Warren and Richardson (another Freshman) as our RB combination.

Our defense has been beyond good, even when our offense can't stay on the field to give them a break. We have quality players at every level. Our DL has shown good push and discipline despite our best DE being out all season, our LB that everybody should know about is Malcolm Rodriguez. He was a high school wrestler and as a result, even though he's a bit undersized, he never seems overmatched. Every game has been a different 2-3 guys stepping up and having huge games. The one DB that seems to get attacked more than the others in the passing game is Jarrick Bernard-Converse. It isn't that he isn't good, he is, but he's the most likely to be man up with a WR without much help.

As far as the game tomorrow goes, I'll say that I'm worried about this one. While the media and fan talking doesn't mean much in regards to how focused the team is on the opponent, it does seem like an inordinate amount of time and focus has been on what happened last Saturday. Hopefully the team itself hasn't been caught up in that. Anyway, OSU has a tendency to get a slow start and when teams do score on our defense it tends to be on the first drives or two of each half. Second quarters have been better than first quarters. This team was down by 13 @ Boise. Down by 14 @ Texas and climbed back in. I was in the stands against Boise and at half, I had no idea how the heck we were winning 21-20 which ended up being the final score. OSU beat Baylor despite Sanders having 3 big INTs (the only turnovers for either team). Had those not happened, the game would have been a blowout. This team is not a pretty team. They have to fight for everything. OSU has won by solid defense, timely turnovers, and just running the ball so much the other team gets wore down. Special teams for OSU have not been special. Our punter is erratic. He can punt it 65 yards on the fly one kick and then have two shanks in a row. The talent to be great is there, but not the consistency. We replaced our kicker a couple games ago. Tanner Brown has been consistent, however he's not had a pressure kick or a long field goal attempt since he took over the starting job. So a great unknown to all. The craziest stat for OSU's offense is that we've scored 3 total points in the 3rd quarter through 6 games.

I think that ISU jumps out early. Then OSU claws back and the half time score will be either tied or within a field goal either way. Then ISU will take the lead or extend the lead in the 3rd quarter. Then the 4th quarter things will tighten up as OSU fights back to lead. It will come down to ISU's offense versus the OSU defense for a late drive. I bet on OSU's defense and Purdy's propensity to make a pressured mistake which allows OSU a very very tight win. I'm thinking somewhere in the range of 24-21 or something like that. The big wild card is if OSU has a turnover filled day. If we do, then ISU is good enough to hurt us with it (unlike Baylor). We know that turnovers are not all the same. Some hurt more than others. 3rd and long and throwing a pick 40 yards down field where the DB is down immediately is not nearly impactful as a pick 6 or a turnover on the first play of a possession, etc. But I expect to see an almost Big 10 style smash mouth hard nosed football game tomorrow. May the best team win and not be a result of the guys in stripes deciding the game.
tldr !

LOL. Just kidding. Thanks for your post! Appreciate your fandom. Although we are going to 'crush' the Pokes tomorrow. [In my dreams].

Big game for sure, for both sides. Ok-State has owned us for the most part, 'cept for a couple of notable exceptions, the past several years.

Respect, fellow conference member! not named OuT (OU and Texas), which we shall otherwise not mention.

Hope I'm happier than you tomorrow evening. Have a great night.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
5) I'm really glad my score prediction made you think about this for like 3 hours
200.gif

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
1) Spencer Sanders isn't that great (58% completion percent, 7.5 yards per attempt) and he's had some much easier defenses so far than us
3) Overall, their offense is probably bottom third in FBS, and I'm counting P5 teams
6) Breece is heating up
7) Noel
8) it's Brocktober

Repeating but I'm looking at Noel to be the emergence over the next month that makes ISU much harder to defend.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Also: Sanders takes sacks at a higher rate than Purdy (this is actually one of Purdy's greatest traits imo). Taking sacks at a decent clip when Will McDonald did what he did last Saturday is something that seems good for us.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
6) Breece is heating up
7) Noel
8) it's Brocktober
I hope you are absolutely correct. However, Sanders has played pretty well against us, especially his rushing.

Their defense has frustrated us and Brock in the past.

It's Brocktober yes, but Oklahoma State has been immune to that. Both losses in October since 2017 are to them.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Also: Sanders takes sacks at a higher rate than Purdy (this is actually one of Purdy's greatest traits imo). Taking sacks at a decent clip when Will McDonald did what he did last Saturday is something that seems good for us.
McDonald looks like a cheetah the speed and length that he has.

kevdiv48

Apr 21, 2011
Houston
First game I'll be attending since 2011, flying to MSP Thurs evening and driving down midday Friday. Got an airbnb with old 125 Campus Ave roomies & SO's. Frippin' pumped. Boss has been notified I'll be on here all week.

Just got back and logging on to CF for the first time this weekend.
Holy **** that was a blast. The Jack was truly packed and was electric. We were way up in the top of section H and could feel the grandstand shaking. The crowd was deafening the last few defense stops and couldn't wait to watch the replay to see how loud it was on TV. Well done Cyclone Nation.

cyc26

Nov 24, 2020
Prediction/What ISU Needs to do to Win vs. Okie State:

Offense (what is needed):

As we have noticed the last couple weeks, both Breece and Charlie Kolar are finally getting back to full health after some early fall dings/knicks. This was clear against KSU (Breece 200+ yards and Kolar the clear go-to guy on big 3rd downs). After watching the Okie State vs. Texas game last week, I assume the Cowboys will come in with a relatively identical scheme. Last week they brought pressure with linebackers and cornerbacks on several downs. They attempted to commit to stopping the run but with guys like Breece and Bijan, that is tough to do. With that being said, I think a big key to the game will be Brock’s mobility. OSU will bring pressure and at times when that pressure gets through on 2nd and long/ 3rd down Brock will need to create with his legs. This was the case in Brock’s first college game at Oklahoma State in 2018, he rushed 19 times for 84 yards and a touchdown. To be successful on OL must continued to improve and blocking must be sound, especially from the RBs either Breece or Jirehl when picking up blitzers. I trust X and Charlie to get open and Brock will find them with time.

Offense (what will happen):

Breece will finish with just over 100 yards and a touchdown but will be more involved in the receiving game picking up a couple big plays. Charlie Kolar will finish with 6 catches for 60 plus yards and a touchdown. X and Noel will be workmanlike, and both come up big on a couple third downs. Brock will finish with another efficient game through the air and 40 yards plus on the ground, adding a rushing touchdown.

Defense (what is needed to win):

Spencer Sanders is turnover prone and to be successful Iowa State must force him/allow him to make these turnovers and bad decisions. OSU will not have the luxury of giving Jaylen Warren 33 carries, Unlike the Texas game they will be stuck in third/second in long and will be forced to pass. The CB2s, Like Speedy and TJ Tampa will need to step up to contain OSU’s quick WR’s. Big games from the DL like Will Mcd, and Enyi are needed to force Sanders out of the pocket and to make tough throws. Hummel, Rose, Vance and Dae Dae Make tackles to limit place for the Cowboys. The secondary must be surehanded on potential interceptions that will be crucial in the game.

Defense (what will happen):

Standers throws two interceptions, one with a huge game changing return. Greg E. has a monster game and racks up 9+ tackles. both will and any get to Sanders a couple times and force some bad throws. Jaylen Warren is held to just around 100 yards and only 1 long run. the sellout crowd makes it difficult on the Oklahoma State offense, but the cyclones secondary gets beat on a couple long throws from Sanders out of the pocket.

Final Score: Iowa State 27 - Oklahoma State 23
Again, another close prediction here. Pretty solid on everything.

Pokes28

Jul 8, 2009
Good, well played game by your guys on Saturday. The officials were pretty brutal, but I don't think they decided the game. While I do think that was a first down by Pressley, I can also see why they couldn't overturn it. I'm always amazed that some national broadcast games don't have more camera angles on things. But even if they did, who knows if the camera would show enough proof.

Going in, I thought if both teams played clean that OSU would win. I also didn't think that Purdy was capable of simply taking what was given to him for a full game and not attempt to force something to happen. I was wrong on all accounts there. OSU's offensive game plan was to run the ball come hell or high water. Then when ISU stepped their LBs up and dared OSU to do anything else, our offensive minds were slow in adapting to the changes. For the first time all season, I was happy with the play of Sanders. All three of his TD throws were pretty much spectacular for different reasons. But it comes back to ISU doing exactly what they had to do and continuing to do that all game long. It is the first time that I've seen our defense look a bit confused all year. That tells me that your offensive plans were good and adaptive, which is something that OSU fans have been upset with for several years now.

Again good game by your guys. Please beat OU in Norman. Hopefully you guys and Baylor can both put them in the loss column in the two weeks before we play them.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Mods, screw you all. I am posting over two hours of pure Erotica. Come at me!!

Reactions: cyfan21

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Good, well played game by your guys on Saturday. The officials were pretty brutal, but I don't think they decided the game. While I do think that was a first down by Pressley, I can also see why they couldn't overturn it. I'm always amazed that some national broadcast games don't have more camera angles on things. But even if they did, who knows if the camera would show enough proof.

Going in, I thought if both teams played clean that OSU would win. I also didn't think that Purdy was capable of simply taking what was given to him for a full game and not attempt to force something to happen. I was wrong on all accounts there. OSU's offensive game plan was to run the ball come hell or high water. Then when ISU stepped their LBs up and dared OSU to do anything else, our offensive minds were slow in adapting to the changes. For the first time all season, I was happy with the play of Sanders. All three of his TD throws were pretty much spectacular for different reasons. But it comes back to ISU doing exactly what they had to do and continuing to do that all game long. It is the first time that I've seen our defense look a bit confused all year. That tells me that your offensive plans were good and adaptive, which is something that OSU fans have been upset with for several years now.

Again good game by your guys. Please beat OU in Norman. Hopefully you guys and Baylor can both put them in the loss column in the two weeks before we play them.
I thought the refs were spotting players short all game and on both sides.

Also, the Oklahoma State defense was legit.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Hey t-noah, after hours post so I'm going off topic a bit.

What sort of car are you buying tomorrow?
Well HaHa! I'm not sure yet. But I'll let you know when I find it, now that you've asked.

Probably gonna hold/pass on the one we were almost going to buy today. I won't give the make and model yet, or dealer (online) until I know more.

Thanks for asking! Go Ducks! I will get back with you once we are sure on one. It's for my 22 y/o soon-to-graduate-college son.
PM on your way

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
35, 31, 28 points predicted to be scored by the 'Pokes in their predictions?

I'm sorry unless there is a ST score and/or a defensive one I just can't see this Cyclones defense giving up that many points to their offense. Okie Lite couldn't do anything but run the ball against UT last weekend and I don't see how they succeed with that strategy against ISU - especially if they settle for RZ FGs like they did time and time again in the 1H against the Whorns.

I think this game could be a 'race' to 24.
What. A. Guess! :D