Ohio State vs Illinois Cancelled

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
If Ohio St. wins their next two games and the Big 10 title game, I can see having them as the 4 seed basically based on how their roster looks on paper to see it play out on the field in the playoffs.

If they lose a game or get one of their next two canceled so they end 5-0 with no Big 10 title you can't let them in over undefeated Cincinnati, 1 loss SEC or ACC teams, or a 2 loss Big 12 champion. If there aren't 2 teams that fit that criteria for the 3 & 4 seed it's anyone's guess what will happen.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If Ohio St. wins their next two games and the Big 10 title game, I can see having them as the 4 seed basically based on how their roster looks on paper to see it play out on the field in the playoffs.

If they lose a game or get one of their next two canceled so they end 5-0 with no Big 10 title you can't let them in over undefeated Cincinnati, 1 loss SEC or ACC teams, or a 2 loss Big 12 champion. If there aren't 2 teams that fit that criteria for the 3 & 4 seed it's anyone's guess what will happen.
I can see the big ten pivoting and changing the rules.

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
Is someone arguing that 47 cases is better than what the big XII has? What big XII has popped that many? Did Baylor? MN obviously has no controls in place if it spread like that.

Have you looked at a COVID map across the country? The colder weather states are certainly more impacted by this and yes, the Big 10 does have more stringent testing and quarantine protocols in place because they have to. You can have all the controls in the world but it's gone way beyond that in certain parts of the country right now.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I can see the big ten pivoting and changing the rules.
If tOSU gets to play in the CCG in place of the team that won their division in accordance with the rules I would expect some significant legal action. Unless there's some sort of "Unless the conference decides to modify this procedure at will" clause.

BTW, who WOULD it be if tOSU gets the whammy bar?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Have you looked at a COVID map across the country? The colder weather states are certainly more impacted by this and yes, the Big 10 does have more stringent testing and quarantine protocols in place because they have to. You can have all the controls in the world but it's gone way beyond that in certain parts of the country right now.
Haven’t looked at a non Iowa map recently but there isn’t a huge difference weather wise between Iowa and Minnesota. 5-8 degrees maybe. My point is, if you have tighter protocols, testing, and everything else, how are you getting way more cases than ISU? We had a few at the very beginning is what I heard and can’t remember the last player that had to sit out and we test I believe every other day.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Let’s not give any credit to our student athletes, coaches and AD or anything. That couldn’t be a factor. Just pure dumb luck combined with weak protocols.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
Haven’t looked at a non Iowa map recently but there isn’t a huge difference weather wise between Iowa and Minnesota. 5-8 degrees maybe. My point is, if you have tighter protocols, testing, and everything else, how are you getting way more cases than ISU? We had a few at the very beginning is what I heard and can’t remember the last player that had to sit out and we test I believe every other day.

Iowa has been doing fine plus they have access to a strong in-house medical staff and they don’t need to outsource anything. At Minnesota, it appears over half the positives are to the staff. It’s much harder to control them vs student athletes, especially those with families and in built up urban areas. Big 10 protocols are much stricter and probably the reason Michigan put a pause on the program. They have a small number of positives but the sooner they identify, isolate, test and trace, the better off they’ll be.

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
Iowa has been doing fine plus they have access to a strong in-house medical staff and they don’t need to outsource anything. At Minnesota, it appears over half the positives are to the staff. It’s much harder to control them vs student athletes, especially those with families and in built up urban areas. Big 10 protocols are much stricter and probably the reason Michigan put a pause on the program. They have a small number of positives but the sooner they identify, isolate, test and trace, the better off they’ll be.
Who knew that PED's helped stop the Rona?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
21 positive players is a lot. A LOT. We haven’t even come close to that. Sounds like not much of a bubble. I don’t know any conference that allows positives to play so no matter how strict the protocols are this is bad. Even worse if you have strict guidelines.

Beerbrat

Aug 17, 2011
Minneapolis

It's harder to control people you are paying than it is people you are exploiting for profit?

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I mean part of why they're having lots of issues appears to be a more stringent standard in terms of quarantining players and such who have been exposed.

You can argue on those criteria, but if that's what they'd decided, it seems like they were right if they saw this as the inevitable result and wanted to try going in spring. But then it became clear that everyone else wasn't going to do that so they got forced back into trying to make a go of it in fall.

start the season on time and you have plenty of time to make up these games

agreed that their protocols are much more stringent.