***Official USMNT Thread***

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I do like the youth on the USMNT but I hope the coaching doesn't ruin it. I've been anti-Berhalter for quite awhile. Hopefully that youth can live up to the 'hype'.

It will. The coaching, not the youth.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I mean, I’m really excited now that the goal is to just get to the WC for the US. Yayyyyy. Until the USMNT is divorced from the MLS we won’t be very good.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Since Reggie Cannon made his move to Portugal, FC Dallas have given their right back job to a teenager, Bryan Reynolds. There are reports that Juve are watching Reynolds and might be interested in bringing him to Italy for a $6 to 7 million transfer fee. I don’t know what they’re doing down in Dallas, but we need to clone that development program and get into every MLS academy. Cannon, Reynolds, Weston McKennie, and Bayern Munich’s Chris Richards are all alums of the FC Dallas academy.

Reactions: ianoconnor

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
It looks like CONCACAF is planning on squeezing 3 matches into 4 of the 5 international windows for WC qualifying. That’s going to really emphasize depth in your squad and should give a big advantage to the US and Mexico.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
It looks like CONCACAF is planning on squeezing 3 matches into 4 of the 5 international windows for WC qualifying. That’s going to really emphasize depth in your squad and should give a big advantage to the US and Mexico.

We had guys score in Premier League, Serie A and Bundislega today.

Sure Berhalter will still play Lovitz and Arriola and Baird

• Funny
Reactions: twojman

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Steffen playing in UCL today for Man City.

Richards came in for Boateng today for Bayern.

So for the record, we have a GK playing* for Man City, a CenterBack playing for Bayern Munich, a box to box MF scoring wonder goals for Juventus, a RB being the non-Messi focal point of Barcelona's offense, a 17 year old running Dortmund's attack and a guy who at 23 is already the best field player America has every produced causing havoc on the wing for Chelsea. Can't wait to see how US Soccer ***** this up!

Last edited:

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
USMNT off to a good start tonight vs. El Salvador in South Florida! Just scored their 3rd goal tonight (Lletget 23'), as I type!

Last edited:

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
5-0 (Akinola in the 27')

BTW, love all the new young studs!

To recap the 5 goals:

P. Arriola 17'
C. Mueller 2-' 25'
S. Lletget 23'
A. Akinola 27'

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Just wait until Gyozy Zaltidore gets back. Then we’ll have that hold up play that every hipster, scarf wearing, overweight, never played soccer in their life guy thinks is the answer to every soccer related question.

• Funny
Reactions: pulse

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Though you can tell MLS is improving year over year, and I'm no MLS fanboy, there's Europhile fans that put way too much stock into some 17 year old playing reserve football in Germany, or playing in Norway. Chances are a 27 year old top-30 MLS player (just a generic example) is better right now than that kid.

But we aren't there yet.

Exactly. Sure the best leagues in Europe are better than the MLS. But the smaller leagues in Europe are very similar to MLS.

I share your judgment, but don't share your wish completely on MLS. I hope it grows so much that it is a selling AND buying league. I hope for continued fan growth over TV and in person that it continues to make more and more money and attract not just the big stars who can still play at the twilight of their career, but also younger stars who see it as a legit league and the quality improves. There should always be some MLS rep in the MNT and hopefully the league will continue to get better so that a good deal of MLS players are still in the top 23 for the MNT. Tonight's shellacking and the way several of those younger MLS players played was very encouraging.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Seems like a good solid win for the US tonight. We had several players missing too. What about El Salvador? Did they have a bunch of guys out playing elsewhere? I know they are not highly ranked via FIFA rankings.

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019
Seems like a good solid win for the US tonight. We had several players missing too. What about El Salvador? Did they have a bunch of guys out playing elsewhere? I know they are not highly ranked via FIFA rankings.
They’re really just terrible. They’re ranked 71st in FIFA but that might be 30 spots too high

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
They’re really just terrible. They’re ranked 71st in FIFA but that might be 30 spots too high

Ya they aren't great, but that is what we should be doing to teams in CONCACAF. Not taking 1 point away because "the travel is hard" like Bruce Arena likes to say. Love Twellman and he was 100% last night when he said something along the lines of, yes this is a blow out, but we need depth, and to work on the system which I think they did very well last night. Especially with mostly young MLS guys.

Mueller of course was impressive, Thought Akinola was good as a hold up 9. Aaronson is too good for MLS and I'm glad he is moving on to Europe. I guess Arriola and Lletget were good, but they should dominate that game. Yuiell provides pretty decent depth at the 6, although that is a position we have some depth at.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Exactly. Sure the best leagues in Europe are better than the MLS. But the smaller leagues in Europe are very similar to MLS.

I share your judgment, but don't share your wish completely on MLS. I hope it grows so much that it is a selling AND buying league. I hope for continued fan growth over TV and in person that it continues to make more and more money and attract not just the big stars who can still play at the twilight of their career, but also younger stars who see it as a legit league and the quality improves. There should always be some MLS rep in the MNT and hopefully the league will continue to get better so that a good deal of MLS players are still in the top 23 for the MNT. Tonight's shellacking and the way several of those younger MLS players played was very encouraging.

Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil seem to be doing all right with their domestic leagues being developmental and selling.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Were there more than three subs per team last night? I was not paying total attention but I felt like there were a lot of subs. I know that happens in a blowout. I just checked the rules and international friendlies can have up to 6 subs. I think that is great to get more guys at least a little bit of live experience.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron