***Official USMNT Thread***

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
I think Arena sees Villafaña as our #1 left back right now. And all the Dempsey is now a full time sub chatter is getting a little overblown. My guess is Dempsey will still get starts, but in a tournament setting where games come quick Bruce isn't going to throw him out there for 90 minutes more than once a week which is probably fair given the mileage on Clint's legs.

I think our default XI assuming a defensive game plan would be:

Jozy
Nagbe-Pulisic-Fabian
Bradley-Acosta
Villafaña-Brooks-Cameron-Yedlin
Howard

If you want to go more attacking you could make that a 4-4-2 or 4-1-3-2 by putting in Dempsey (or another forward like Bobby Wood) for Acosta.

• Agree
Reactions: ianoconnor

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I think Arena sees Villafaña as our #1 left back right now. And all the Dempsey is now a full time sub chatter is getting a little overblown. My guess is Dempsey will still get starts, but in a tournament setting where games come quick Bruce isn't going to throw him out there for 90 minutes more than once a week which is probably fair given the mileage on Clint's legs.

I think our default XI assuming a defensive game plan would be:

Jozy
Nagbe-Pulisic-Fabian
Bradley-Acosta
Villafaña-Brooks-Cameron-Yedlin
Howard

If you want to go more attacking you could make that a 4-4-2 or 4-1-3-2 by putting in Dempsey (or another forward like Bobby Wood) for Acosta.
I agree with your thought, I think Arena thinks he is his guy, but I just dont see it at all. The last 3 games I was having a tough time finding parts of his game that stick out to me. He's so bland and not much gets done with him on the ball pushing up, maybe I'm missing something but that was my thoughts. I'd rather have them drop Fabian back into the LB role, although I like his game as a LM better. I know he was struggling and the injury isn't a positive, but I think Villafaña really needs to improve to be a solid piece for that back 4, cause as is right now he is the weak link.

I actually agreed with Alexi Lalas (barf) for once when he called out Villafaña as needing to improve for the overall defense of this team come world cup qualifiers and (hopefully) world cup

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Brooks and Cameron are our best CB duo by far right now.

I would like to go three at the back:

Cameron-brooks-someone
Johnson- Yedlin wing backs
Bradley-Nagbe pivot
Pulisic - 10
Pick two of wood, Dempsey, Altidore forwards

Last edited:

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You

Also, LA Galaxy just sacked theirs and replaced him with Sigi Schmidt, who was rumored for the LAFC job.

EDIT: I didn't check this thread in a while. But Silva definitely owns Miami FC not Cincinatti or else they wouldn't be actively trying to get into the MLS via the Expansion Fee way.

Also someone that's familiar with the Silva offer said there would be parachutes for teams that would go down, etc, etc.

It sounds like Silva might of done an ambush offer of some sort too and just showed up to MLS headquarters.

I don't think Silva's going to stop though and if Miami was to win the US Open Cup (I think their rain delayed game against FC Cincy is this week), no doubt in my mind he'd go on a strong Pro/Rel campaign through various media outlets and it'd likely get attention too. Especially if he opts to file a anti-trust lawsuit that other leagues could keep an eye on.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
saw some chatter that Barcelona called Dortmound on Pulisic after they lost Neymar.

He is going to be such a financial windfall for whomever ends up getting him after Dortmound cashes out. He is worth so much more than whatever he brings to the field. He will literally sell jerseys and make fans of every single American soccer fan.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
The roster has dropped for this week's upcoming Hex qualifiers:

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC), Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

Defenders: DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca), Matt Hedges (FC Dallas), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest), Tim Ream (Fulham), Jorge Villafana (Santos Laguna), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

Midfielders: Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Paul Arriola (D.C. United), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Dax McCarty (Chicago Fire), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC)

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Bobby Wood (Hamburg)

John Brooks is out for at least 3 months with an injury. Yedlin is also not included. He just made it back from injury to begin training with Newcastle this past week. Given those injuries, there are really no surprises in the roster.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Thanks for this...I'd like to see more Americans in EPL as I am sure we all would. Hopefully we are getting to that point.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
no danny williams and no chandler. I wonder if Bruce Arena knows that the Bundislega and EPL are better leagues than MLS. If Matt Hedges, DMB or Wondo see the field i'm going to write a very angry letter.

Howard
Cameron Ream Gonzalez FJ
Bradley Acosta
Nagbe Pulisic Bedoya
Wood

something like that

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
no danny williams and no chandler. I wonder if Bruce Arena knows that the Bundislega and EPL are better leagues than MLS. If Matt Hedges, DMB or Wondo see the field i'm going to write a very angry letter.

Howard
Cameron Ream Gonzalez FJ
Bradley Acosta
Nagbe Pulisic Bedoya
Wood

something like that

Chandler is usually terrible when he plays for the national team.

And Williams has never really impressed either.

prosey18

Aug 7, 2017
I'm pretty content with the picks made outside of Wondolowski being chosen over Dom Dwyer. Hopefully John Brooks and Deandre are fully healthy as soon as possible

• Agree
Reactions: CyStateOfMind

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron