***Official ISU Bowl Predictions***

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I'm of the opinion that I don't totally understand the whole I'll go here but I won't go there. I get different timing factors play into that some. I can't go to the bowl game this year no matter what but if I was able to, I would go to the bowl game and wouldn't give a crap where it was.
It is expensive to go to bowl games. We were just in Memphis two years ago. It will likely be cold and wet, and Memphis is not big enough to have a ton of variety in activities to do around the game. The team itself has been hot and cold, and quite frankly, program expectations are at an all time high. The fans now consider ISU a perennial qualifier for bowl games, so going to the Liberty again two years later is a let down.

My sister went last go round and I know she is less than thrilled about another chance at it. I think fans will go, but they will do it almost grudgingly.

Personally I would love Phoenix this time of year. That's all I'm saying. Variety is the spice of life.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
True but playing a ranked team on sr day with your stands half full is not a good optics for bowl reps...

The official attendance was 48,990 in a 50,000 seat stadium. That would be tickets sold. Granted there were not that many in attendance. But kindly stop with the half-full hyperbole.

TV captured mostly the students on the east side. They vacated at halftime with 40-mile/hour winds in their faces and high 20's temps. It was brutal. The optics were not good on Thanksgiving break Saturday.

I doubt there's any school with a better reputation for bowl attendance than K-State's. Fan support will not be a K-State negative.

This discussion is meaningless before the OU/BU outcome and team placements.

https://www.kstatesports.com/documents/2019/11/30//KS_27_ISU_17_Final.pdf

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I'm of the opinion that I don't totally understand the whole I'll go here but I won't go there. I get different timing factors play into that some. I can't go to the bowl game this year no matter what but if I was able to, I would go to the bowl game and wouldn't give a crap where it was.
I don’t fully get it when talking about Memphis but for me and Phoenix it’s just to far and to much money. Even though I’d like to go I don’t think we will be able to make it. At least with the Camping World bowl it is a better game so I could convince the people I’m going with more.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
For me it is less about Memphis and more about the opponent. For once I'd like for Iowa State to beat a P5 team in a bowl game. That won't happen in Memphis. I know Navy is a good G5 team, just like Memphis was 2 years ago, and Tulsa in 2012, but they seem like lose-lose situations from a national perspective. You win, you should've because they're the little guy. You lose, shame on you for losing to a little guy even if they were ranked higher.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
We booked a room in Houston and one in Memphis (with nose plugged). We are really hoping for Houston. Come on Oregon!

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
An OSU fan works with my wife and he is completely convinced ISU will get Orlando over them due to how ISU fans travel. Other teams know that our fan base has a good pull and bowl committees are looking at the fans. I don't think ISU will get Orlando but I am not ruling it out due to how our fans travel.

• Agree
Reactions: 2daJack and CTTB78

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
New Years 6 games not announced until 2 pm Sunday so guessing we won't hear about Clones game until at least 3 or 4 pm.

Last edited:

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
I have to disagree with those who think that Memphis would be a hard sell to our fans, or that we would not travel well there. Cyclone fans are some of the best traveling fans in the country. Memphis is drivable. We would still have an excellent turnout even though we’ve been there twice recently.

I agree that Memphis may still be fairly well attended for four reasons: (1) drivable for students, (2) relatively cheaper, (3) best date of the three on 12/31, and (4) cities like Memphis and San Antonio are a blast once the Cyclone wave of fans hits town. Houston and Phoenix are much larger and more spread out and we cannot dominate the scene.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I have to disagree with those who think that Memphis would be a hard sell to our fans, or that we would not travel well there. Cyclone fans are some of the best traveling fans in the country. Memphis is drivable. We would still have an excellent turnout even though we’ve been there twice recently.
If we’re playing Navy or SMU, it’s going to be good still, but probably 30-40% less I’d guess. Which is still better than what a lot of bowl teams bring.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
New Years 6 games not announced until 2 pm Sunday so guessing we won't hear about Clones game until at least 3 or 4 pm.

I hate how ESPN is trying to make this like selection Sunday, except its even worse.
It would be like CBS showing the top 4 seeds, then talking about them for 2 hours. Then showing the 2 seeds and talking about them for 1 hour. Then revealing every other team.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017

I would think it would start to leak out earlier than the official announcement.

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I agree that Memphis may still be fairly well attended for four reasons: (1) drivable for students, (2) relatively cheaper, (3) best date of the three on 12/31, and (4) cities like Memphis and San Antonio are a blast once the Cyclone wave of fans hits town. Houston and Phoenix are much larger and more spread out and we cannot dominate the scene.

SbGPN9u.jpg

To be fair, San Antonio isn't too much smaller but it does have a smaller city vibe.

• Optimistic
Reactions: cyclone83

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
If they release the full top 25 after the playoff teams, then everyone will know the NY6 bowls anyway since all the slots are contractually spoken for.

If they hold the full top 25 until after the NY6 lineup, then they are the worst kind of people.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
The official attendance was 48,990 in a 50,000 seat stadium. That would be tickets sold. Granted there were not that many in attendance. But kindly stop with the half-full hyperbole.

TV captured mostly the students on the east side. They vacated at halftime with 40-mile/hour winds in their faces and high 20's temps. It was brutal. The optics were not good on Thanksgiving break Saturday.

I doubt there's any school with a better reputation for bowl attendance than K-State's. Fan support will not be a K-State negative.

You think you can't get banned for K-Stating all over the ISU Bowl thread?

Keep it up Shirley errrrrrr Surly...you can get banned. Now STFU & GTFO.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

2daJack

Nov 2, 2009
Polk City
Went to Liberty Bowls in 2012 and 2017. We had a good time both times, but ready for something new. Won’t return to Memphis, but any other location will go. A lot can happen with the PAC12 with Utah/ Oregon and Big XII with Okl/Baylor. Have to see how they play out. ISU does travel well, any maybe we jump Okla St. or KSU for a better bowl. Ready to book those flights and hotel rooms...so please Jaime is your reading this.... No Memphis or Liberty Bowl. Been there done that!

• Agree
Reactions: k8e4st8 and CTTB78

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

I traveled like A TON of ISU fans did. We sat thru until the end in the same conditions for a loss, unlike many of the EMAWs.

• Funny
Reactions: StClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron