*** Official IOWA STATE VS Baylor Game(Day) Thread ***

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I was stuck watching on a poor connection from my phone so maybe I missed something. What was so bad about special teams yesterday? There was the blocked field goal which I couldn’t see well but other than that they seemed ok. At least in the sense I wasn’t mad at them.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
People just need to take a deep breath and relax, we are 2-2, we lost by one point to an Iowa team that is ranked 14th in the country and to a 4-0 Baylor team on a last second field goal, that many before the season had as the 3rd or 4th best team in the league.
Anyone comparing Campbell to Mac is crazy, Campbell is far and away a better coach and its not even close. When was the last time this time was totally out of a game, we may lose, but we are no longer getting woodshedded like we did under Mac and Rhoads.
I also tend to think that teams have seen our defense enough that they are staring to figure out how to attack it, and for what ever reason, we are not getting turnovers, I think we only have 2 in four games. That is just not nearly enough, we should be getting a couple a game. The running game is still developing, the Oline is better but not dominate, and Purdy has made some horrible decisions on the RPO's at critical times, once against Iowa and today, both in the forth quarter, when he should have gave it to the running back which would have gotten a big chunk of yards, instead kept the ball and lost yards.

ISU is never going to have the talent to plug in the next guy like OU, UT or Ohio St, we just have to improve recruiting, and become a developmental program, if we can do that, we will continue to have success and getting 7 to 9 win seasons.
Next up an average TCU team, its at home, they have a freshman QB, that will be pressing since he is a native Iowan, we need to take advantage of that.
Go Cyclones.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I was stuck watching on a poor connection from my phone so maybe I missed something. What was so bad about special teams yesterday? There was the blocked field goal which I couldn’t see well but other than that they seemed ok. At least in the sense I wasn’t mad at them.

Did you catch the missed field goal?

Or just how BADLY that field goal was blocked?

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

I saw it but couldn’t see detail of it. Is that really the only play. I guess one play to me unless they just stood there doesn’t mean bad special teams. Just like the interception against ULM didn’t mean bad offense.

I’ll be able to tell more when I rewatch the game later.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

They caved in the A and B gap on the right side of our line, they kicked our ass on that play. Low kick from that distance and they had 1 guy that got penetration over the right A gap between the C and G, and another 2 in the right B gap between the G and T.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I saw it but couldn’t see detail of it. Is that really the only play. I guess one play to me unless they just stood there doesn’t mean bad special teams. Just like the interception against ULM didn’t mean bad offense.

We need our special teams to be good if our formula for winning games is with ball-control. Not being bad isn’t good enough.

We also need to win the turnover margin, but rarely do.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
The only thing I will say that seemed conspiracy-esque was the terrible spots we were getting in the first half. They shaved about 6 or 7 yards on us.
Seems like at one point during the game i noticed the refs marking Baylor a yard short of where I thought they should be so maybe the refs were being fair or I don't know where the ball should be spotted. Also, I thought the refs were pretty good.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

The blocked field goal looked like the line got blown up pretty badly.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
People just need to take a deep breath and relax, we are 2-2, we lost by one point to an Iowa team that is ranked 14th in the country and to a 4-0 Baylor team on a last second field goal, that many before the season had as the 3rd or 4th best team in the league.
Anyone comparing Campbell to Mac is crazy, Campbell is far and away a better coach and its not even close. When was the last time this time was totally out of a game, we may lose, but we are no longer getting woodshedded like we did under Mac and Rhoads.
I also tend to think that teams have seen our defense enough that they are staring to figure out how to attack it, and for what ever reason, we are not getting turnovers, I think we only have 2 in four games. That is just not nearly enough, we should be getting a couple a game. The running game is still developing, the Oline is better but not dominate, and Purdy has made some horrible decisions on the RPO's at critical times, once against Iowa and today, both in the forth quarter, when he should have gave it to the running back which would have gotten a big chunk of yards, instead kept the ball and lost yards.

ISU is never going to have the talent to plug in the next guy like OU, UT or Ohio St, we just have to improve recruiting, and become a developmental program, if we can do that, we will continue to have success and getting 7 to 9 win seasons.
Next up an average TCU team, its at home, they have a freshman QB, that will be pressing since he is a native Iowan, we need to take advantage of that.
Go Cyclones.
Only thing I really disagree with is Iowa being the 14th - yes they currently are ranked there but I don't think they're that good. I know what that says about ISU but we really aren't a top 25 team until something really changes - stop the turnovers, stop the up tempo after long first downs and figure out the running game.

• Disagree
Reactions: Urbandale2013

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Seems like at one point during the game i noticed the refs marking Baylor a yard short of where I thought they should be so maybe the refs were being fair or I don't know where the ball should be spotted. Also, I thought the refs were pretty good.
I thought the side judge was giving unfavorable spots to both offenses. Don't remember any having an impact though. I think ISU converted 1st down on all of them the following play. On the failed 4th and 1 I don't think the spot on the previous play was unfavorable.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Only thing I really disagree with is Iowa being the 14th - yes they currently are ranked there but I don't think they're that good. I know what that says about ISU but we really aren't a top 25 team until something really changes - stop the turnovers, stop the up tempo after long first downs and figure out the running game.

I also do not think Iowa is the 14th best team in the country, but that is what they are ranked. Look at their season and ours right now, and a couple big things sticks out, We are turning the ball over, and Iowa is not. They are perfect on field goals, and we are not.
In sports little things mean a lot, and we are just not doing enough of the little things to win against a team better or equal to us in talent. Iowa is and that is why they are 4-0 and ranked 14th, while we are 2-2 for the season.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Guys like Greise who went to Michigan/Ohio State/ Alabama think very little of schools like Iowa State and thus have to bad mouth us every time things doesn't go to their expectation on the field....Typical Little 14 BIAS......
Or maybe hearing a QB chewing his OLs ass while he's largely had plenty of time and is playing like **** doesn't sit well with him.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
I thought the side judge was giving unfavorable spots to both offenses. Don't remember any having an impact though. I think ISU converted 1st down on all of them the following play. On the failed 4th and 1 I don't think the spot on the previous play was unfavorable.
I thought there was one that brought a drive to a halt for ISU, but I could be wrong. I may go back to check, but don't have time now.

whitehispanicfrog

Oct 23, 2017
Fort Worth

Go Cyclones.

It will certainly be a challenge for true freshman Duggan starting on the road for the first time.

On top of that playing in front of friends and family.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

It looked like on a couple of the Purdy runs that when he dove head first, the sideline official on the ISU side, spotted the ball like he slide. I thought a couple of his marks were a little short of where the ball was at when Purdy dove.
I also thought the Offensive pass interference was a BS call, the d back for Butler was grabbing and holding on to our guy, and then we pushed off and that was called for blocking downfield. If you are going to call that, it has to be obverses as hell, not a 50/50 deal like this one was.

• Agree
Reactions: tsirnickesqcy

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Also got away with a muffed punt, which they seemingly incorrectly flagged for kick catch interference.
That was the right call. Hitting the kicking leg is a 5 yarder; hitting the plant leg is a 15 yarder.

Edit: Nevermind. Thinking of the wrong play.

Last edited:

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
What? Clemson finished against a team with inferior talent. ISU couldn't finish vs. a team with inferior talent. Seems like a pretty fair comparison to me.

Baylor has finished well ahead of us in the recruiting rankings for the last few years. Talent is a wash at best. We have superior coaching - usually.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Or maybe hearing a QB chewing his OLs ass while he's largely had plenty of time and is playing like **** doesn't sit well with him.

Or pointing fingers at Milton after the opening interception last week. Looked like maybe Milton's mistake but I didn't like the "WTF, dude!" gestures and the finger pointing. Talk it over on the sidelines and don't show up your teammate on national TV. seemed like more of a move to show everyone it was not HIS fault more than an effort to correct and get on the same page. :( Sure, Milton came back yuge in the game but I still didn't much like that moment.