***Official Big 12 Expansion Thread '16***

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
You know that Boren wanted expansion but Texas was the same ole Texas - they killed the network idea which nullifies the incentive for expansion. Wish we could turn back time - we should have listened to the complaints and issues that A&M and Mizzou had, and not let Texas run the conference. It would be a stronger conference today with Neb, Mizzou and A&M in it and obstructionist Texas out. Oh well...

Nebraska and A&M complained about Texas... and then promptly voted with Texas to the detriment of the rest of the conference. **** 'em.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
From an OrangeBloods respected forum poster:

This is guy has a legit inside big money contacts. One of the very top posters on O'bloods.

III. UT's perspective

By the way, we have a great relationship with OU. Boren stoked up all this acrimony over UT, but OU's regents effectively apologized via the public ***** slap. Boren is a politician, and will get over it, just like any politician recovers. I know I am supposed to hate OU, but I love having them in the conference, I love playing them. Whatever we do in 5 years, it would be a tragedy if it doesn't include them, and my prediction is that we use our muscle to bring them with us (if it's an academically superior conference). UT and OU are good...zero worries.

If anyone wants to know where the "doom & gloom" comes from...it's this. That is, if you believe this dude is on the level.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Nebraska and A&M complained about Texas... and then promptly voted with Texas to the detriment of the rest of the conference. **** 'em.
I think Nebr could have made a killing on their 3rd tier rights and by having their own digital network. If we made $3mil, I think they could have done at least 5 times that. Probably a lot more. But, too bad.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Agree - and bet Texas stopped expansion because they want even more money.

Texas wasn't the only school to vote down expansion as the vote was 10-0 to not expand. Texas is not the only school driven by the financial aspects of expansion. In fact it is more critical to schools like Iowa State. Any school added in expansion was going to need to add value to the pro-rata payout each existing school receives. No expansion option came close.

Time will bring clarity. The TV rights marketplace will determine possible partners. At that time expansion will probably be important. But for the Big12 to earn money comparable to the Big10, SEC or ACC, that will mean adding schools like USC, UCLA, Stanford, Arizona State, Washington, Arkansas, Mizzou or Nebraska rather than Cincy, BYU, Houston or UCF.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
This was the problem from the start. Allowing a couple of schools in a 12 school conference to dictate their terms on all the other schools should have never have happened and is why the conference is in the position they currently are.

A&M, Mizzou, Colorado, and Nebraska saw the writing on the wall and jumped ship at the right time. They are all in better positions (money wise) then they were as members of the Big 12.

Colorado is not in a better position financially when you consider 3rd tier.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Agree - and bet Texas stopped expansion because they want even more money.
Realistically what other reason is there for UT or any other school to talk expansion? Expansion will make no difference in terms of stability. If UT and OU bolt the conference it will collapse. There are no expansion candidates that are going to anchor the conference enough to change that fact. All it would do is dilute the earnings for current members in the meantime.

• Agree
Reactions: everyyard

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ted-decision-decline-expansion-earlier-divide

This article and video claim the league is toast and provided a 'Do' and 'Don't' list to everyone to cover up the dysfunction.

ESPN puts huge SEC and Big10 homers on to discuss the future of the Big12 and they come to the conclusion that it will fall apart. Shocking.

As far as the article, I actually hope this is true. The league needs to get on the same page with the media. With the media latching on to every statement that isn't the same as another member and claiming that to be dysfunction is what drives a lot of these feelings. This debacle has been a direct product of reporting rumors coming from unnamed sources. That has to stop.

I don't know what will happen to this league in 2024, but there is no way that any tram leaves before then. So let's just enjoy it and hope that our program can take advantage of the opportunity to raise our profile.

Reactions: Judoka

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
  • Agree
Reactions: Bader

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The only conference Texas can go to other than the Big 12 is the ACC. ESPN will block any movement to Pac12 or Big10. And A&M will block movement to SEC.

And if you read Chris's article, going to the ACC isn't the financial windfall that one would expect when listening to the ESPN propaganda.

Revolution

Oct 15, 2011
Based on the Pollard interview the presidents still have an eye out for disgruntled PAC schools. If the PAC extends their GOR without losing anybody then the Big 12 is probably screwed.

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron