***Official 2024 Transfer Thread***

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Both are true sophomores. I would guess (I don't know anything) that it's a skillset thing. What it tells me is that they are looking for minutes at the '4' and not the '5', as Jefferson is a "pure 4" and Kyle is more of a Hason Ward-style 5. So I think it would say that they are happy with Jackson/Rock/Chatfield at the '5'

Or maybe they are prioritizing FT shooting %, lol
Between the two of them, I think Jefferson has a higher ceiling as an overall player because he seems to have great ball handling and playmaking for his size, plus has the potential to develop as a shooter. But I also agree that it seems like the staff is comfortable with Jackson/Rock/Chatfield at the 5 (plus maybe Jefferson at points for a small lineup or if in foul trouble--like King did this year).

That fact also makes me optimistic about Rock's development because I think they'd be more interested in Kyle if they didn't expect Rock to be ready as a contributor.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
What I worry most about with Tre King is how strong he is. He was not going to be moved out of the way by anybody.
Tre King was a big man, and used it to be an enforcer type, but I can see Jefferson being more of a natural basketball player. I'll give up a couple offensive rebounds, if it means more touch around the basket, better ball handling/post moves, and higher bball IQ.

On paper, Jefferson is the better rebounder. He avgd more total rebounds per game, more per 40 minutes, and much higher rebounding %. However, I do think a lot of Tre's numbers are effected by Iowa St's style of having the big guys box out hard so the guards can come in to get the rebound.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Between the two of them, I think Jefferson has a higher ceiling as an overall player because he seems to have great ball handling and playmaking for his size, plus has the potential to develop as a shooter. But I also agree that it seems like the staff is comfortable with Jackson/Rock/Chatfield at the 5 (plus maybe Jefferson at points for a small lineup or if in foul trouble--like King did this year).

That fact also makes me optimistic about Rock's development because I think they'd be more interested in Kyle if they didn't expect Rock to be ready as a contributor.
The one thing that really caught my eye in videos of Rock was how well he moved his feet for his size. That can certainly separate a premier big guy from a project.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Tre King was a big man, and used it to be an enforcer type, but I can see Jefferson being more of a natural basketball player. I'll give up a couple offensive rebounds, if it means more touch around the basket, better ball handling/post moves, and higher bball IQ.

On paper, Jefferson is the better rebounder. He avgd more total rebounds per game, more per 40 minutes, and much higher rebounding %. However, I do think a lot of Tre's numbers are effected by Iowa St's style of having the big guys box out hard so the guards can come in to get the rebound.
We upgraded skill level last year with Gilbert and Jones as transfers. Ball handling and passing are underrated skills and gives your offense more versatility and spacing. I think we're following the same path with the posts this season. We're adding ball handling, playmaking, and shooting at the expense of strength and defensive disruption. I suspect the bet is that we can plug these guys into our defensive system without much dropoff. Remember we all thought last season we'd see a weaker defensive team than the year prior, and we literally had the best defense in the country. If we can maintain a top 10 defense and add more skill offensively, we're getting closer to an elite roster. We weren't far off this past season. Our guards are probably the best defensive guards in the country as a unit. That helps a lot.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
So staff preferred Jefferson to Kyle? Im guessing maybe not apples to apples comparison. Maybe Jefferson at a requested $100,000 was a take over Kyle at a requested $300,000.
Really doesn't matter, they were prepared to take both.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Jefferson will be a cyclone, we should hear this week. William Kyle will not be a cyclone, although he wanted to be. And we may get a player back who entered the portal, but had second thoughts. And no it’s not Omaha.
When did Fran join the staff?

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Jefferson will be a cyclone, we should hear this week. William Kyle will not be a cyclone, although he wanted to be. And we may get a player back who entered the portal, but had second thoughts. And no it’s not Omaha.

Haliburton? Hunter?

Reactions: MyNameEhJeff

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron