***Official 2024 Transfer Thread***

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The transfer portal completely eliminated JUCO players moving straight to high major programs. Even CuJo, who played at Indian Hills, had to go to Buffalo first to get a chance to play P5

I watch a lot of juco ball at Iowa Western, over the last 20 years, there has been less and less d1 talent coming through for all teams at that level. In the late 90's/early 2000's you'd see 3 or 4 high major kids playing every night. Now, you see a handful all season. The talent just isn't what it was at that level. Mostly because of summer ball allowing coaches to scout more kids than ever, there just isn't as many slipping through the cracks.

The only negative I can see the portal having is that kids who left d1 programs used to drop down to juco to get their stuff together for a second chance to get back to that level. Now most of those guys just drop to a lower d1 program to fill spots created by the portal.

Reactions: 2122

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I watch a lot of juco ball at Iowa Western, over the last 20 years, there has been less and less d1 talent coming through for all teams at that level. In the late 90's/early 2000's you'd see 3 or 4 high major kids playing every night. Now, you see a handful all season. The talent just isn't what it was at that level. Mostly because of summer ball allowing coaches to scout more kids than ever, there just isn't as many slipping through the cracks.

The only negative I can see the portal having is that kids who left d1 programs used to drop down to juco to get their stuff together for a second chance to get back to that level. Now most of those guys just drop to a lower d1 program to fill spots created by the portal.

It’s mostly because you can go to prep school for one year, get your grades up and not use eligibility. Juco has some really good baseball talent though

Reactions: heitclone

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
So you're basically saying if they're the same size they have to be the same player.
“Stronger and better athlete AT THIS POINT” is what the poster said. Based on my observations of watching both play, that appears to be a true statement. I would also say Momcilovic is more skillful offensively. Getting bigger and stronger will improve Milan’s athleticism as well as increase his offense and defense.

Last edited:

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
I’m honestly surprised that C and PF’s aren’t lining up to play for us. Already a top ten team and could easily be joining a team to make us the top team. Either $$$$ or don’t want to play to our style of conditioning

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I’m honestly surprised that C and PF’s aren’t lining up to play for us. Already a top ten team and could easily be joining a team to make us the top team. Either $$$$ or don’t want to play to our style of conditioning

I think it’s all about money. If it wasn’t I would bet the South Dakota kid would be commited and we would have Hadley also

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I think it’s all about money. If it wasn’t I would bet the South Dakota kid would be commited and we would have Hadley also

Fit matters, too. A ball-dominant 4 that needs a certain number of touches might prefer to go elsewhere. When I was 20, TJ’s summer practice schedule might have been enough to make me reconsider. I’m sure there are players that are making decisions solely based on the paycheck, but I suspect it’s a little more nuanced for most.

Mar 21, 2021

Who are a few of the best players you got to see at Iowa Western?

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Fit matters, too. A ball-dominant 4 that needs a certain number of touches might prefer to go elsewhere. When I was 20, TJ’s summer practice schedule might have been enough to make me reconsider. I’m sure there are players that are making decisions solely based on the paycheck, but I suspect it’s a little more nuanced for most.

Yeah maybe but 60 percent in the portal are looking for paydays. The rest are looking for either a move up in opportunity or a move down for more opportunities. Mostly about money. TJ don’t miss on guys that are about basketball. He’s missing a lot in this portal round because of money

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Yeah maybe but 60 percent in the portal are looking for paydays. The rest are looking for either a move up in opportunity or a move down for more opportunities. Mostly about money. TJ don’t miss on guys that are about basketball. He’s missing a lot in this portal round because of money
The guys that are all about money can go to UK or somewhere. We want the guys that want to win not collect a paycheck. Guys that want to play for isu and not play for themselves. One of the best teams I remember in the NBA was that spurs team that had late in career Parker and crew. That team dominated the “star” loaded heat

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
The guys that are all about money can go to UK or somewhere. We want the guys that want to win not collect a paycheck. Guys that want to play for isu and not play for themselves. One of the best teams I remember in the NBA was that spurs team that had late in career Parker and crew. That team dominated the “star” loaded heat

Yeah. Neat to think that way but we are going to have to find some money to compete in the future. Teams with the biggest payrolls usually win In Sports. We have to be able to at least buy some players. Kids may like Iowa State but when Missouri is offering them 50k and they don’t have an “in” with either school. They will go to Missouri

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Yeah. Neat to think that way but we are going to have to find some money to compete in the future. Teams with the biggest payrolls usually win In Sports. We have to be able to at least buy some players. Kids may like Iowa State but when Missouri is offering them 50k and they don’t have an “in” with either school. They will go to Missouri
This Missouri transfer class has recruiting violations written all over it. With that said I don’t even know how you get recruiting violations in this world anymore.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

I think you were right the first time. It's almost certainly higher than 60%.
Some, like Pav, will be looking for a fit as they move down a bit, but guys looking to move up or around will be looking for the money.

Reactions: Drew0311

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Didn't they though? ISU has already added Jackson C and Chatfeld C/PF to Rock and is heavily involved with Jefferson PF. That would be 2 potentially 3 post commitments before May to add to Rock who I do think the staff would like to see the court.