***Official 2024 Transfer Thread***

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Just wish Kyle could shoot free throws a little better. Makes it tough to have him on the court late in close games.
He's a career 60% FT shooter, which isn't good but isn't awful either. His freshman year he was 64% and that dipped a bit last year to 58%.

I think his unorthodox/ugly form is what makes his FT's less appealing.

not-the-manager

Mar 1, 2023
Hadley vs King-Hadley is better offensively. King is better defensively.
Kyle vs Ward-Kyle has better post moves and can get to the basket better than Ward. Will be more scoring.
Jackson vs Jones-Jones is definitely the better worker of the two but Jackson is the better scorer by far.

So basically, I am saying if we get those 3 the offense will go up, but defense will suffer. But I think over a summer our coaches can instill the defense mindset into the 3 new guys. We are looking really good and definite top 10 preseason if we get all 3 of them.
Not that you're claiming otherwise, but that's A-OK. There's nowhere to go but down in terms of defense. But this season's team was at least one scoring threat/floor spacer short. The staff seems to have exclusively targeted guys who would be, at the least, slight offensive upgrades across the board, and oh by the way all still seem capable of playing at least decent defense. They jumped from what, in the low 100s in offensive efficiency in '22-'23 to 52? I'm hopeful about a jump next season if they bat 1.000 or close to it in the portal.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
Why ? Winning that tournament isn’t needed to be Final Four capable

We were capable this year, although needed to get a different region
Just think it is important to do better in the non conference this year to position the team for a better shot at the final four. It was a major complaint by many this past year concerning ISU on the committee. In the end ISU did not perform up to its seeding.

NC State was final four capable this past year, so someone could say just making the NCAA tournament and being their caliber is good enough to be final four capable. I think we can and need to be better than that low bar. Need to be better than an eleven seed this year. We prove that by making some noise in the non conference, and then in the Big 12.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Is Hadley similar to Brockington? Tough midrange guy who can get to the hoop?
Hope you are correct.
Ward and Jones ability to defend on the perimeter played a huge role in our defense success. Not certain how Jackson will adapt to this - just do not know.
Jackson has Jones size. Kyle was 2 2x DPOY like Ward.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Dead period ends Thursday (4.11) at noon, I know Kyle visited Fred but have any other visits been announced?

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Just think it is important to do better in the non conference this year to position the team for a better shot at the final four. It was a major complaint by many this past year concerning ISU on the committee. In the end ISU did not perform up to its seeding.

NC State was final four capable this past year, so someone could say just making the NCAA tournament and being their caliber is good enough to be final four capable. I think we can and need to be better than that low bar. Need to be better than an eleven seed this year. We prove that by making some noise in the non conference, and then in the Big 12.
We will have plenty of opportunities for resume wins in Maui and the Big East challenge. Maui teams are Dayton, Colorado. Memphis, UNC, Michigan State, Uconn and Auburn.

Texbudman

Nov 20, 2012
Arlington,Tx
those are some striking dunk stats. It felt like Ward was doing nothing but dunking especially in the last 1/2 of the year. So Kyle had way more than double the dunks Ward had. Wow.
William Kyle has a 7'3" wingspan and a 40+ inch vertical.

WK3 finished 2nd in the nation in dunks with 88. Zach Edey is leading the country with 108. For reference, our team had a total of 94 dunks on the year. Ward led the way with 34.
LOVE THE DUNK!!!

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
We will have plenty of opportunities for resume wins in Maui and the Big East challenge. Maui teams are Dayton, Colorado. Memphis, UNC, Michigan State, Uconn and Auburn.
With the exception of Milan, love that our likely rotation early, consists of all upperclassmen. Should give us a big advantage in those early out of conference games.

If any of those freshman are able to break into the roation going to mean they are special.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Jackson, Kyle & Hadley are big upgrades. The only thing to work out are chemistry & intangibles.
TJ has done great in his first 3 years, in terms of chemistry. I hope it continues this year, but it's a bit different situation. 4 big minutes players are already in place, plus Watson, who I think we all hope makes a jump and forces himself to be played. Now bring in 5 transfers (if Kyle and Hadley both join), 4 of whom are expecting big roles. And 2 outstanding incoming freshmen. Managing that roster seems trickier.

But that's what he gets paid for.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Eyeballing a bracket...

UConn
Memphis

Auburn
Colorado

Carolina
Michigan State

Iowa State
Dayton

Reactions: NENick

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I'm curious how that will be bracketed. UConn obviously will be #1, UNC likely as #2 ... ISU ought to be 3 ... then there's a little jumble after that in 4-5-6//6-7-8

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Hadley vs King-Hadley is better offensively. King is better defensively.
Kyle vs Ward-Kyle has better post moves and can get to the basket better than Ward. Will be more scoring.
Jackson vs Jones-Jones is definitely the better worker of the two but Jackson is the better scorer by far.

So basically, I am saying if we get those 3 the offense will go up, but defense will suffer. But I think over a summer our coaches can instill the defense mindset into the 3 new guys. We are looking really good and definite top 10 preseason if we get all 3 of them.
Is King better defensively? I've never watched Hadley. But King wasn't always in the best position defensively and a little slow footed on the perimeter. Now King was tough as hell and strong. Probably a better interior presence than Hadley.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I'm curious how that will be bracketed. UConn obviously will be #1, UNC likely as #2 ... ISU ought to be 3 ... then there's a little jumble after that in 4-5-6//6-7-8
It’s not bracketed that way. Generally fairly random other than probably having UNC and Uconn on opposite sides. I suspect that people are going to be fairly surprised by our pre-season ranking next year. We will be in the Top 7 and likely the Top 5.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It’s not bracketed that way. Generally fairly random other than probably having UNC and Uconn on opposite sides. I suspect that people are going to be fairly surprised by our pre-season ranking next year. We will be in the Top 7 and likely the Top 5.
I realized it isn't officially seeded. Big names are going to get advantages for some slots -- but I sense placement tends to reflect previous season result / current season expectation to some extent.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
I would assume ISU and Colorado will be on opposite sides of the bracket since they are now in the same conference.

• Agree
Reactions: CRCySpy