***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Add Swanson suddenly forgetting how to play defense to the list of "things we are 18-12 despite of"

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
With the strength and depth we have in the rotation I think you can break the bank for Alonso in the offseason. Him and a good bullpen puts us in WS contention.

C Amaya Gomes ( we have a prospect on the way)
1B Alonso
2B Hoerner
3B/DH Morel/Shaw
SS Swanson
LF Happ
CF PCA
RF Suzuki

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
With the strength and depth we have in the rotation I think you can break the bank for Alonso in the offseason. Him and a good bullpen puts us in WS contention.

C Amaya Gomes ( we have a prospect on the way)
1B Alonso
2B Hoerner
3B/DH Morel/Shaw
SS Swanson
LF Happ
CF PCA
RF Suzuki
Where is Busch? You're ready to give up on the guy with the highest OPS on the team after 1 month?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Where is Busch? You're ready to give up on the guy with the highest OPS on the team after 1 month?
His glove is weak at first. Where exactly to you project him? If you sign Alonso he's going to play 1st and that OPS is in free fall.

Last edited:

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Isn't Busch under team control until 2027? He's a better overall hitter than Alonso and will be much cheaper. I'd rather spend on pitching than pay Alonso 25 million a year.
You think Busch is a better hitter than Alonso? Not sure if there's any point to discuss further.
But he's currently costing the rest of the infield errors on plays a decent receiver should handle.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I know the sample size is too small on Wisdom playing 1st base but the eye test on him playing defense is brutal

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
You think Busch is a better hitter than Alonso? Not sure if there's any point to discuss further.
But he's currently costing the rest of the infield errors on plays a decent receiver should handle.
It's too small of a sample size right now so you are probably right. If Busch keeps these numbers up though he's right in line with Alonsos OPS numbers.

I'd rather have those numbers and cheap than pay 25 million a year.

Reactions: HoustonClone

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
I agree Busch is NOT a better hitter than Alonso. However, Alonso however is in his 6th year in the league and has always been a negative value player defensively, so he's not exactly going to be an upgrade. Busch (although he played mostly 1B in college) has played a total of 50 games at 1B as a pro, as LA had him bouncing all over the place (2B, 3B, LF). So I think there is growth there for him as he settles into his first full MLB season.

So the real question is Alonso's bat ~$25mil/year more valuable than Busch at first? Probably not but with the DH around, I'd gladly take both bats in the lineup.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Feel like Alonso is an OK get at right price. Sure Alonso can be a 40HR guy, but he's also a high strike-out & .220 hitter over the last 2 seasons.

I'd rather the Cubs swing big for Soto (power & average). Or go after a guy like Goldschmidt (mid-power & average) or Teoscar Hernandez.

This Cubs roster is OK, other than 3B no obvious gaps. So they can go into off-season and pursue best available vs. position limited.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
They don't mention looks like Steele has given up a couple runs as well in the 1st:

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
They don't mention looks like Steele has given up a couple runs as well in the 1st:

He was basically throwing like early spring training. Just pounded the zone. Multiple hits on 0-2 counts. FB was <90 most of the outing.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Not sure what Vasquez has left to prove. Could of had a walkoff double but they held the runner at 3rd. Only one out.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I think the question this offseason will be whether Alonso’s bat at 1B more valuable than Burnes as SP1. I don’t think they’ll lose out on whichever they want if they can get a deal under 6 years so they can still resign their prospects later on.

Alonso at 1B essentially means your DH will be Suzuki/Happ which means Morel/Busch/Shaw would have to fight for the starting 3B spot.

Burnes with Steele/Shota/Taillon/Wicks means Horton likely has to be relief until Taillon leaves.

Personally I’d rather grab Burnes and hope Belli/Suzuki don’t go down at the same time. When that happens, the whole offense has to bat in terrible spots for them.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Not sure what Vasquez has left to prove. Could of had a walkoff double but they held the runner at 3rd. Only one out.
Would love to see him up but not sure where he will ever fit. My guess is we’ll let him rot in AAA a la Mervis and Canario and let their value drop before realizing we should’ve moved them at their peak.

I do think Vazquez should be our #2 everywhere infielder, FWIW. Nick Madrigals sole role should be pinch hitting with a runner in scoring position.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Would love to see him up but not sure where he will ever fit. My guess is we’ll let him rot in AAA a la Mervis and Canario and let their value drop before realizing we should’ve moved them at their peak.

I do think Vazquez should be our #2 everywhere infielder, FWIW. Nick Madrigals sole role should be pinch hitting with a runner in scoring position.
He's definitely a better hitter then Madrigal.

Shaw. Vasquez, Caissie then all are beating at the door.