***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Someone had to wake Morel up. If I had to eat crow to do it, I’ll do it for my team.

Now I’m looking at you, Ian Happ
Hopefully after we get healthy they settle him in around the 6 hole. Take some pressure off the kid. He's still going to carry the team at some point. Just don't need the fails to be so magnified.

David Freshman1982

Sep 14, 2022
Cubs need a better option at the end of games than Neris, he ain't gonna get it done long-term. I could see Hoyer going out to get a veteran late-game guy at the deadline, but can the Cubs wait that long? Should have been addressed this past winter!

Reactions: clonebb

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Cubs need a better option at the end of games than Neris, he ain't gonna get it done long-term. I could see Hoyer going out to get a veteran late-game guy at the deadline, but can the Cubs wait that long? Should have been addressed this past winter!
My money is on Jansen. Just afraid to give the Red Sox someone from our organization because no other organization knows our farm better

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Turns out a belt high fastball on a hitters count is not the move. Good slump buster pitch

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Steele getting the start Wednesday afternoon (12:08) in Des Moines. Right now weather looks iffy.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Starting to get (positively) concerned about what you do when Belli and Suzuki are back.

You can’t put PCA down. Tauchman has the 4th best OBP in the league right now. Two guys that had to earn it, in my opinion, have.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Read an article on Horton couple days ago. They suggested he has no.more to prove in AA or AAA for that matter and he's at AA for the warmer weather. If they continue to limit him to 4 innings it may be to save his arm for the second half.

When everyone gets back by merit the rotation should be.
Steele
Imanaga
Taillon
Assad
Then Brown or Little as an openers then 2 of the following once through the order each.
Wicks, Wesneski, Smyly, Hendricks. This spot is Horton's for the taking.
There's also some speculation that they are going to move him right from AA because they don't want to expose him to public StatCast data. AAA has StatCast, AA does not. They don't want to tip any pitch shaping or spin rate.

It's getting to the point with him that you have to bring him up because you're just wasting pitches.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Starting to get (positively) concerned about what you do when Belli and Suzuki are back.

You can’t put PCA down. Tauchman has the 4th best OBP in the league right now. Two guys that had to earn it, in my opinion, have.
1. Hoerner 2B
2. Tauchman OF/DH
3. Bellinger 1B/RF/DH
4. Suzuki RF/ DH
5. Happ LF/ DH
6. Busch/ Wisdom 1B/3B/DH
7. Morel 3B/DH
8. Gomes/ Amaya C
9. PCA CF

Madrigal is strictly a defensive replacement.
Mervis PH

Send Canario down, he's shown enough to think he can hit ML pitching. Let him explode in Iowa and deal him for pitching.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

Mervis is gone, obviously, so you've got 1B, RF, LF and DH for 5 guys. It's not a great setup but it's also a very good 'problem' to have. Plus, Tauchman will eventually come down to earth so he'll end up in that 4th OF role.

I'm not sure PCA ever plays another MiLB game. I think he's up for good.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Am I crazy to think Happ could be the one dealt for a reliever if you could find someone to take on his deal? You're getting better production out of Tauchman for much, much cheaper. Roll with a platoon of Beli, Seiya, PCA and Tauchman with mixing in Beli at 1st on days he's not in the outfield.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Am I crazy to think Happ could be the one dealt for a reliever if you could find someone to take on his deal? You're getting better production out of Tauchman for much, much cheaper. Roll with a platoon of Beli, Seiya, PCA and Tauchman with mixing in Beli at 1st on days he's not in the outfield.
Full no trade. So it would take some doing.

• Informative
Reactions: Clonefan32

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
That's twice in 2 nights our runners have risked injury to avoid a pitcher covering that ventured too far over the bag. Run that ****** into the dirt.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
4 unearned runs tonight because Wisdom threw an easy out into left field and Swanson threw a ball 10 feet short of first base.

How did we have such a good defense last year to a group who really struggles with the fundamentals and it’s the same group?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
This team desperately needs Belli and Suzuki. When your offense is atrocious as is, you can’t give up 4 unearned runs.
They switched the first run to earned but the point is valid. I was on my way home listening on radio. Ron said Wisdom basically stayed on the bag rather than moving forward to get an angle for the throw to second. This is 1B 101. Especially for one that throws righty.

Getting Suzuki and Bellinger back is going to solve a bunch of problems. Moving Busch is going to create more in the future. If Bellinger has a productive season he's opting out. So a year from now you have Busch back at a position he failed at the prior year. Morel's defense has been pretty solid overall. Moving Busch doesn't make a lot of sense when you factor Shaw into the equation.