***Official 2023 Weather Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Am I to understand that this coming Tuesday’s patterns look to be worse than yesterday’s?

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
our area in South MPLS is a ******* mess. Power lines and trees down everywhere. At least 10 inches of snow. Plows haven't been through yet.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
So our drive from CR to DSM was quite eventful. Everything was going well but I knew it wouldn't last. As we approach Tama we get into the first line of storms. The clouds were looking very ragged but I wasn't noticing much in terms of movement. That quickly changed as we crested the hill just west of that flat two mile stretch just before reaching Tama. I noticed what appeared to be a ragged wall cloud and pulled over to look at it. As soon as I did that our phones went off for a tornado warning. Pull out Radar Scope and yup, they warned it as we got to it. I called in my observation and got out of there as my wife and kids were less than pleased.

Briefly drive through heavy rain and small hail but as we get to 63 we are in blue skies again. Stop at the Meskwaki gas station as the other three need a breather. Eventually we truck on and as we get to Marshalltown we are approaching the second line. I notice some interesting cloud movement and a quick check of Radar Scope shows they have issued a gigantic severe thunderstorm warning for that line. I pull off at the Git N Go in Marshalltown to make sure we are good and sure enough as soon as I do that they issue a tornado warning for the cell over the Marshalltown airport. Screw it we are out of there.

Honestly we got very lucky as we had next to nothing on that line.

The winds on the backside were intense and made driving on 330 interesting. Getting into Bondurant there is some construction site on the north side of town that the wind was creating a dust storm out of that briefly dropped visibility to near zero. The pond/small lake thing on the north side of Bondurant had white caps on it.

Driving around CR today widespread but light straight line wind damage. Our trampoline would have been gone if it wasn't staked/strapped down as it was visibly lifted and moved slightly. Our basketball hoop was rotated, I tried to move it back this afternoon and could not do it on my own.

#CoolStoryBro

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
So our drive from CR to DSM was quite eventful. Everything was going well but I knew it wouldn't last. As we approach Tama we get into the first line of storms. The clouds were looking very ragged but I wasn't noticing much in terms of movement. That quickly changed as we crested the hill just west of that flat two mile stretch just before reaching Tama. I noticed what appeared to be a ragged wall cloud and pulled over to look at it. As soon as I did that our phones went off for a tornado warning. Pull out Radar Scope and yup, they warned it as we got to it. I called in my observation and got out of there as my wife and kids were less than pleased.

Briefly drive through heavy rain and small hail but as we get to 63 we are in blue skies again. Stop at the Meskwaki gas station as the other three need a breather. Eventually we truck on and as we get to Marshalltown we are approaching the second line. I notice some interesting cloud movement and a quick check of Radar Scope shows they have issued a gigantic severe thunderstorm warning for that line. I pull off at the Git N Go in Marshalltown to make sure we are good and sure enough as soon as I do that they issue a tornado warning for the cell over the Marshalltown airport. Screw it we are out of there.

Honestly we got very lucky as we had next to nothing on that line.

The winds on the backside were intense and made driving on 330 interesting. Getting into Bondurant there is some construction site on the north side of town that the wind was creating a dust storm out of that briefly dropped visibility to near zero. The pond/small lake thing on the north side of Bondurant had white caps on it.

Driving around CR today widespread but light straight line wind damage. Our trampoline would have been gone if it wasn't staked/strapped down as it was visibly lifted and moved slightly. Our basketball hoop was rotated, I tried to move it back this afternoon and could not do it on my own.

#CoolStoryBro
No way Bells is bigger than Waimea, Bro.

• Haha
Reactions: Gunnerclone

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
While I was out and about in CR this morning I noticed several traffic lights and stop signs that were blown off-center by the wind last night. It also took down the top half of an evergreen tree in our condo complex.

Several metal construction dividers blown over into the street at a construction project next to the library.

Not that much to complain about compared to Keota/Coralville/Hills/etc, but just a little sign of that powerful system rolling through here.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Appreciate the roofer recommendations, if anyone has any other recommendations please post or pm me. Not even sure if I have any damage, but I’m gonna have them come out and do a good thorough inspection.

and people in Ames should prepare for their insurance premiums to skyrocket.