***Official 2023 Weather Thread***

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
There is a long running joke on Des Moines reddit about the '801 weather deflector'. Basically storms seem to split when they hit Des Moines, so the top of 801 Grand has a special device to break up the storm. It appears it worked today
screenshot-www-windy-com-2023-03-31-13-57-44.png
I didn’t see anything other than some wind and a few sprinkles in Ankeny

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Do you guys contact your insurance company or a roofing company first for hail damage? Besides missing shingles I don’t know what I’m looking for.
Call your insurance company tonight, there will be contractors rolling into town tomorrow, saying that they have talked to your insurance company, and they are here to fix your roof or any other damage you may have. Do not believe them, let your insurance company handle it.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines

Roof collapse during concert. This is w, nw of Chicago which is expecting 90mph straight line.
They couldn't have postponed the concert for little while?

People are so dumb when it comes to this stuff, we've known about the severity of this for almost a week now.

Then if you are somewhere near Chicago you've watched it track towards you all afternoon, just stupidity.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
They couldn't have postponed the concert for little while?

People are so dumb when it comes to this stuff, we've known about the severity of this for almost a week now.

Then if you are somewhere near Chicago you've watched it track towards you all afternoon, just stupidity.
Everything looks obvious from the outside.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Just scrolling twitter, rumors of several fatalties from that roof collapse in Belvidere. Hoping the rumors turn out to be false.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Just scrolling twitter, rumors of several fatalties from that roof collapse in Belvidere. Hoping the rumors turn out to be false.
Says multiple people trapped under the debris also.

No reason at all those people should have been in there. They've been sitting there all day watching numerous tornadoes track straight at them and still decided it wasn't a big deal.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
I saw on one of the scanner pages they requested at least 20 ambulances. Rockford is close by, they probably have a few, I think my town's ambulance went down.

Belvidere is home to a recently closed Chrysler plant too, so if that got hit too, no one should be there.