***Official 2022 Transfer Thread***

DrewCo

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 14, 2008
Quad Cities
For anyone interested in a macro-view of the portal, Evan Miyakawa ranks every available transfer. IIRC, his rankings last year were pretty on point. You can find them at https://evanmiya.com/

Of note: Basile is ranked 27th and Jeremiah Williams sits at 76.
I just saw Andre Curbelo at 4, and Joe Touissant at 7 overall and he immediately lost all credibility.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Fwiw, it's analytics based. So much like KenPom, there's going to be a few outliers. Iowa was an analytics darling so it makes sense that Joe T would be so high. I don't think any of the rankings should be taken as the end-all be-all. Instead, it's just a good way to get a general tier. Then within the tiers, you need to consider things like fit/team needs.
So what does "pretty on point" mean? It matched commonsense well?

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Joe T showing a major flaw in the system. He wasn't a good offensive player himself but is obviously benefitting from his team being one of the best offenses last year. Benefitting dramatically.
Yeah, I don't think there's are terrible ratings but it does take into account some stuff it probably shouldn't, like overall how the team did offensively and defensively. I think I might be able to see why it's like that, as in theory a guy who doesn't play on Duke could be better than the top player for like, Winthrop or someone, but it feels unfair to actually factor that in on players who carry bad teams while propping up guys who didn't do anything on good teams.

HoibergIsMyHero

Mar 15, 2014
Not sure if it’s been discussed but it looks like Ben Carlson is transferring from Wisco. Didn’t his Dad play at Iowa State and we recruited him? Not great numbers at Wisco but dealt with some injuries and was a good prospect out of high school. I’d take him.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Not sure if it’s been discussed but it looks like Ben Carlson is transferring from Wisco. Didn’t his Dad play at Iowa State and we recruited him? Not great numbers at Wisco but dealt with some injuries and was a good prospect out of high school. I’d take him.
It's been discussed a little bit. I personally do not want as he did not look good at all when he played us

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
And Tre King?
I expect King to be out starting 4. The caveat is if King develops a consistent 3 point shot where he could play the 3.

At this point, IMO Kunc will be out backup at the 4 and if matchups dictate can play some 5.

If we do go after Carlson, he would fill a 4th open scholarship- which currently isn't open. Not every transfer needs to start. I am looking to improve our roster 6-13 and a player be ready for 20+ minutes for the 23/24 season.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I expect King to be out starting 4. The caveat is if King develops a consistent 3 point shot where he could play the 3.

At this point, IMO Kunc will be out backup at the 4 and if matchups dictate can play some 5.

If we do go after Carlson, he would fill a 4th open scholarship- which currently isn't open. Not every transfer needs to start. I am looking to improve our roster 6-13 and a player be ready for 20+ minutes for the 23/24 season.
What you're describing in kid in a candy store syndrome. Only thinking about what one side wants. You can't sell what you're described as something a 4 star recruit that's transferring due to lack of playing time wants. I expect the kid to end up in the Valley.