***Official 2021 NCAA Tournament Thread***

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Pac 12 tied for 3rd most wins over expected all-time for any multi-bid conference in tournament history (since 1985)

*Does Not Include First Four
*Counts Oregon's No Contest as a Win for valid comparison

YearConferenceTeamsAvg WinsAvg Exp WinsAvg Wins Over Expected
2014​
Southeastern
3​
3.67​
1.61​
2.05​
1996​
Southeastern
4​
3.50​
1.47​
2.03​
2013​
Missouri Valley
2​
2.50​
0.77​
1.73​
2021​
Pacific Twelve
5​
2.60​
0.87​
1.73​
1990​
Atlantic Coast
5​
2.80​
1.25​
1.55​
1986​
Southeastern
4​
3.00​
1.50​
1.50​
1985​
Big East
6​
3.00​
1.63​
1.37​
2006​
Colonial
2​
2.00​
0.63​
1.37​
1990​
Southwest
3​
2.33​
0.97​
1.36​
2003​
Big East
4​
3.00​
1.66​
1.34​

It's more rare to overachieve that much than it is for a league to be overrated.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Missed the 1 shining moment video on CBS but caught it on Twitter. 2 Garza shots of one which was him crying.

They showed a clip of Grand Canyon player Oscar Frayer who I found out died in a car accident days after their tournament game.
CBS' One Shining Moment is always great!

Reflection about Mr. Frayer is sad. I missed it but know he died in a car accident like the day after that last game, was it?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
We are National Champions in a sport people care about!!
I'm so happy!!!
So proud of Scott Drew and these kids... this is the best Defense team I've ever seen in College Basketball.

Respect to Few and the Gonzaga kids...

BTW, how many Time Outs did Drew use?

Nothing but love Clones.. but its a great night to BU!!!

FLAME AWAY!!!
You are welcome here. What the heck. Your team just finished off a great run and won the National Championship. Congratulations! I'd probably stay up most of the night also.

• Friendly
Reactions: JusHappy2BeHere

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I support the Big 12 and am glad Baylor won.

Then I remember we have to play them twice/year.

Then I think about their football team.

It gets worse from there.

But congrats Baylor BB! National Champs.

Don't mind the basketball program as Drew took over a total mess and I don't have anything against how he's operated but I'm still like **** them in football.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Good to see another Big 12 team finish it off and win a title. Four of the last five Final Fours have had a Big 12 team in it. Glad to see the conference finally seal the deal. Now we move to roster building to see how the league shapes up for next year.

Man, do I wish we got to have a tourney last season.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Try as I may I can't dislike Baylor basketball. I may be completely wrong but Drew seems like a good enough dude and a great coach. I think it was easy to suspect cheating early on when he was pulling 5 stars, but those days are gone. He's winning now with somewhat marginal recruits who are given great coaching and are put in a great basketball culture.

It's a tough one because I think that Athletic Department is pretty detestable and there are the obvious issues stemming from their football program. But from everything I know Drew has run a pretty clean ship with his guys.

JusHappy2BeHere

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, TX
Good to see another Big 12 team finish it off and win a title. Four of the last five Final Fours have had a Big 12 team in it. Glad to see the conference finally seal the deal. Now we move to roster building to see how the league shapes up for next year.

Man, do I wish we got to have a tourney last season.
Might have had an all Big 12 Final

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
It’s crazy that Scott Drew doesn’t even make 3 million a year. He should be making twice that.
Do we know what he actually makes though? His contract isn't public.
I don't think their recruiting now is suspect in relation to where their program is...I did suspect it when they started having their best basketball success almost immediately after a murder coverup.

The bigger issue is that it's a known fact Baylor had a lawless immoral culture where rape was swept under the rug as if it were nothing. That doesn't just go away overnight and there was a lot of evidence that it wasn't neatly confined to the football coaching staff and players.

Who knows how much we know and how it really is, just color me zero surprised if it's even worse than we know or if more comes out in the future.
It wasn't almost immediately.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Do we know what he actually makes though? His contract isn't public.

It wasn't almost immediately.

The NC wasn't but they turned their program from a doormat into a competitive one almost immediately after it helped with a murder coverup. Then a decade later it turns out coaches, even women's coaches, look the other way on mass rape.

There's a lot to overlook, enough that there's no way everything is known.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
The NC wasn't but they turned their program from a doormat into a competitive one almost immediately after it helped with a murder coverup. Then a decade later it turns out coaches, even women's coaches, look the other way on mass rape.

Again, it wasn't almost immediately unless you completely change the definition of immediately. They were at the bottom of the conference until his 5th year.

JusHappy2BeHere

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, TX

dude. Stop with the false narrative. No one covered up a murder. A psychotic young man shot his best friend. It was a tragedy that uncovered Dave Bliss cheating, but no one covered up the murder. You saying it all the time still doesn't make it true. Baylor has blackened it's own eyes enough with actual wrongdoing... why lie to try to make it worse?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Again, it wasn't almost immediately unless you completely change the definition of immediately. They were at the bottom of the conference until his 5th year.

At a school where 50+ people get raped and even women's coaches leap to defend the athlete rapists. There's absolutely no way to support any of the department's success without having reasonable doubts. Sorry if that doesn't sound fun and happy.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015

It was five years from when Drew started to when he made the tourney and they eeked in as an 11 seed and got thumped.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
dude. Stop with the false narrative. No one covered up a murder. A psychotic young man shot his best friend. It was a tragedy that uncovered Dave Bliss cheating, but no one covered up the murder. You saying it all the time still doesn't make it true. Baylor has blackened it's own eyes enough with actual wrongdoing... why lie to try to make it worse?
“If there’s a way we can create the perception that Pat may have been a dealer,” Bliss was heard saying to two players in 2003, in recordings secretly made by assistant Abar Rouse, who had been threatened with losing his job if he didn’t go along with the plan to discredit Dennehy. “Even if we had to kind of make some things look a little better than they are, that can save us.”

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
“If there’s a way we can create the perception that Pat may have been a dealer,” Bliss was heard saying to two players in 2003, in recordings secretly made by assistant Abar Rouse, who had been threatened with losing his job if he didn’t go along with the plan to discredit Dennehy. “Even if we had to kind of make some things look a little better than they are, that can save us.”
That isn't covering up the murder. He was trying to cover up the money trail that led back to him.

• Winner
Reactions: JusHappy2BeHere

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron