****OFFICIAL 2020 MINNESOTA TWINS THREAD****

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Berrios..... wtf?

The only bright side is that he usually fades late in the year, so maybe the slow start means he will finish strong?

But yeah, looking like a #4 starter so far.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Agree. Great stuff, but he's having problems locating, again. For being our 'ace', he's about our fourth best starter right now. Hope someday he can get it all together and dominate.
Why. Isn’t. He. Throwing. The. Curve.......

• Agree
Reactions: Neptune78

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Hope Mitch didn't have a career year last season. We need Tortuga's bat until Garver can get out of his funk.
No kidding. It took an error just for him to run the bases today.

I figured a guy or two wasn’t gonna produce like last year but for multiple to be this awful at the dish is not going to cut it. I love Buxton but I really don’t want to Have to rely long term on his bat.

Cruz can carry the team to A point but you gotta be on base for when he hits a bomb.

• Agree
Reactions: Neptune78

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Maeda took a no hit bid into the bottom of the ninth tonight. Broke up by an incredibly weak dribbler. Damn. Seems like we had someone throw one a few years ago (maybe Erv?) But also walked 4-5 guys so no perfect game

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Maeda took a no hit bid into the bottom of the ninth tonight. Broke up by an incredibly weak dribbler. Damn. Seems like we had someone throw one a few years ago (maybe Erv?) But also walked 4-5 guys so no perfect game
That’s was a good and weird game, especially in extras. It’s gonna go a long way if Maeda can keep looking even remotely that dominate, that was fun.

I was thinking the exact same thing but the last one was thrown like 10 years ago by Liriano in Chicago. He walked and hit a bunch of guys so it was ugly but doesn’t matter. No hits. You could probably argue Maedas start last night was much more impressive even if he didn’t quite get it. I think that bloop hit was like the only ball that left the INFIELD! Crazy.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
After this week we'll be half way through. What players have surprised (Dobnak) and who's disappointed (Berrios)? Top Twin WAR so far:

1) Cruz- as expected, team MVP
2) Dobnak- for 25, he pitches like a veteran
3) Maeda- trade is now looking great
4) Kepler- his average will only go up
5) Buxton- adding power to the speed
6) Duffey- Mr. 0.00
7) Rosario- emotional team leader
8) Arraez- breaking out of the early soph. slump

Polanco playing OK hitting .300 but his WAR is still not in the top 12 Twins. Sano and Garver join Berrios in top under achievers so far.

Reactions: mj4cy

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
After this week we'll be half way through. What players have surprised (Dobnak) and who's disappointed (Berrios)? Top Twin WAR so far:

6) Duffey- Mr. 0.00

Polanco playing OK hitting .300 but his WAR is still not in the top 12 Twins. Sano and Garver join Berrios in top under achievers so far.
Sano at this point I think is kind of a “it is what it is” kind of thing. He’s gonna strike out an absurd amount but will occasionally put one in the seats. I have waited for him to turn a corner and at this point I just don’t see that K rate ever really going down.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Sano at this point I think is kind of a “it is what it is” kind of thing. He’s gonna strike out an absurd amount but will occasionally put one in the seats. I have waited for him to turn a corner and at this point I just don’t see that K rate ever really going down.
Agree on Sano. I think I'd prefer they try to trade him before his perceived value gets any lower. His power isn't enough to make up for horrendous k rate and below average defense.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

6) Duffey- Mr. 0.00

I'm still disappointed we got swept by the Royals. The hot start felt fraudulent after that. They've recovered well.

If I had to pick a player I don't know how it could be anyone other than Berrios for most disappointing. A guy who should be close to an Ace is much closer to a back of rotation guy. It has been a let down too to see Garver struggle so bad after a career year. Was hoping that would be his norm or at least his regression to the mean would be not quite so drastic.

Surprises, Dobnak for sure. I was all but ready to write him off after the playoff start last year. And I would say, aside from last night, our bullpen has been pleasantly surprising. Having Maeda perform like he has makes you kind of forget about Berrios' struggles, certainly shaking out to being the best FA pitcher signing this club has seen in a looong time.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Agree on Sano. I think I'd prefer they try to trade him before his perceived value gets any lower. His power isn't enough to make up for horrendous k rate and below average defense.
My feeling or theory is that it could actually get lower. I believe Sano, who can struggle to be committed to being in shape, benefits greatly from the strong Latin culture of the Twins clubhouse. If Twins personnel changes significantly or he landed on a team without this in place, I think he would really struggle between his ears to do what he needs to do.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
My feeling or theory is that it could actually get lower. I believe Sano, who can struggle to be committed to being in shape, benefits greatly from the strong Latin culture of the Twins clubhouse. If Twins personnel changes significantly or he landed on a team without this in place, I think he would really struggle between his ears to do what he needs to do.
Ugh. Glad he's our problem. (Not) I want him to succeed, but he is easily the most frustrating player on the team. In fact, between him, Buxton, and Berrios, if we look back 4-5 years we expected these guys to be cornerstones of the franchise. They're all still here, but i would say the results for all 3 have been underwhelming. Thank God we also had guys like Rosario, Kepler, and Polanco in the pipeline too.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron