NBA: ***Official 2019 NBA Playoffs Thread***

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
VERY interested to see how this goes. David Griffin was a great GM in Cleveland (ring!) and Danny Ainge wins like every trade while Rob Pelinka is an agent in a GM role.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Doesn't matter if GS can "afford" to keep him or not. He has the ability to opt-in with them and they'll owe him his due. They have no say in the matter if he opts in. That's $31.5M.

Steph is making like $40M and Klay is due like $30M. That's $100M of a $109M salary pool. I believe they can technically sign all three and go over the cap but their fee/tax for going over will be INSANE. GS can afford it though. Their owned by a billionaire and their new arena will make plenty of money.

What made the pre-Durant Warriors so good was their depth. When three dudes take up all of the cap their depth is gone.

The depth and flexibility of their roster was a function of having Curry and Klay on deals paying them below the max/far less than their "market" value.

Soon as they had to start giving player their proper values, the roster became top-heavy as you described and suddenlty have basically no depth.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
VERY interested to see how this goes. David Griffin was a great GM in Cleveland (ring!) and Danny Ainge wins like every trade while Rob Pelinka is an agent in a GM role.

Guy who shouldn't even be a GM vs Guy who wins every trade. This should be good.

(I assume this is just Danny Ainge being a d*ck and running up the asking price)

• Funny
Reactions: Sigmapolis

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
If Kemba stays on a crappy team at a discount instead of either taking the supermax and staying or taking the discount and leaving that would be a hella weird career choice.

He did say this too though so maybe a different team can sway his thinking.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

I’m curious which player one of those teams would want to take with that 4th pick that would make the juice worth the squeeze.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I’m curious which player one of those teams would want to take with that 4th pick that would make the juice worth the squeeze.

Agreed. You can maybe hope the Knicks botch the third pick and leave RJ Barrett on the board. Hunter is picking up some steam as a plug and play wing, but he's not going to get any fan base too riled up.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I would guess Lonzo. His rookie year everyone hated his dad but Lavar has quieted down the last year or so. His major problem is shooting and that can be fixed by the right coach. Ingram's blood clot issue could be scary and Kuzma is old for a 3rd year player and is terrible on defense.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
That #4 pick is butt.

Yeah, if a team is looking for a guy with a ton of upside there. There are some safe picks you could make there where the guy might never be an All Star but he could for sure be a reliable rotation player right away and an eventual starter - Hunter, Culver, maybe Clarke.

Or you could take Cam Reddish and hope like hell he's an elite prospect who just got himself stuck in a difficult spot at Duke.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Kuzma's a nice player but if he ends up being the reason that the Lakers don't land AD then they deserve to suck balls for whatever is left of Lebron's career.
I don't know. The Lakers aren't winning anything with just Lebron and Davis. They can't give up everyone else just to get him.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I don't know. The Lakers aren't winning anything with just Lebron and Davis. They can't give up everyone else just to get him.

Sure they can. How do we know that Kuzma isn't anything more than a player putting up superficial offensive numbers for a crap team? We're talking about a guy who shoots 45% from the floor and 30% from three and doesn't defend or rebound well. None of those young guys have shown much of anything consistently and it's clear the organization doesn't think much of them since they already put them all on the table last season.

Do what you have to do to get AD and then worry about building around him and Lebron. It's risky but they have to move into win-now mode. Lebron isn't getting any younger.

• Agree
Reactions: Dandy

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I'll say this: win or lose there will be a huge part of me that will be relieved once this series is over. The amount of anxiety I've been feeling on game days is enormous.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'll say this: win or lose there will be a huge part of me that will be relieved once this series is over. The amount of anxiety I've been feeling on game days is enormous.

I'll bet. I kind of like the Raptors' chances tonight. I know that puts me in the minority but they don't strike me as a team that's bothered by going on the road. I can see the Warriors getting out to a hot start and then Toronto reeling them back in and wearing them down late. They need a lot more out of Siakam, though.

I'm kind of surprised Nurse hasn't tried to find a few spot minutes for OG Anunoby. That was a key loss for them that nobody's been talking about. He was a 20 minute per game guy for them in the regular season, right?

Last edited:

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I'll bet. I kind of like the Raptors' chances tonight. I know that puts me in the minority but they don't strike me as a team that's bothered by going on the road. I can see the Warriors getting out to a hot start and then Toronto reeling them back in and wearing them down late. They need a lot more out of Siakam, though.

I'm kind of surprised Nurse hasn't tried to find a few spot minutes for OG Anunoby. That was a key loss for them that nobody's been talking about. He was a 20 minute per game guy for them in the regular season, right?

Correct. I think Nick is just going with what's working right now. Incredibly tough spot to have someone come in and work out kinks after almost two months off.

Pascal has to start hitting those corner threes he hit in the season. Once that happens itll open up the offense a bit more. Right now GSW is really crowding the lane and daring Kawhi to kick it out for the open three that we missed in game 5.