***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The problem is that we have finished in the Top 50 in defense efficiency exactly three times in the last 19 years. #9 in 2005 with Wayne Morgan, #47 in 2018-19 and #42 in 2016-17. Versus finishing in the Top 12 in offensive efficiency in 6 of the last 8 years. I know there are different ways to skin a cat, but ultimately we haven’t shown the ability to be anything better that mediocre on defense for the last 15 years.

I am not trying to suggest we are somehow going to be goodish at both.

I think the offense has to step it up and, again, the defense has to work better than four plastic flamingos and a couple of deck chairs this time.

Elite on offense and passable on defense is our calling card.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The problem is that we have finished in the Top 50 in defense efficiency exactly three times in the last 19 years. #9 in 2005 with Wayne Morgan, #47 in 2018-19 and #42 in 2016-17. Versus finishing in the Top 12 in offensive efficiency in 6 of the last 8 years. I know there are different ways to skin a cat, but ultimately we haven’t shown the ability to be anything better that mediocre on defense for the last 15 years.

Which is all we really need. That's how we've been built since the Hoibuild. The only thing that gives me some optimism as to maybe improving that is the Conditt/Foster combo, both have a ways to go but both are a different type of athlete than we have had in terms of length, strength and athleticism. Who knows how they will develop but the potential is there.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Do you think Gach is a PG because he said he wants to go somewhere who lets him play PG? We have a few guys already who can facilitate just as well or better than Gach.

Good Point, I think I drifted into that though lane when ISU was recruiting him just due to Prohm using it as a selling point.
Both didn't play PG for Utah and though he may have a decent handle and passing skills he wouldn't have been a Monte style PG that many in this thread have been lusting for. Funny thing is we may not find out if he can play PG at Minnesota due to Carr.
Adding Both would have been good as another option to add to Tre/Rasir/Tyler. We shouldn't think Both or another player would come in to replace or play over those three rather supplement their play.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Well they had a top 50 offense. That is certainly fine. If they had the 50th ranked defense they would have had several more wins. Not to mention part of the problem with the offense was that ISU just didn't enough guys who could knock down open shots.

They did have a Top 50 offense by the efficiency numbers, and I do like efficiency numbers. We did play 8 teams with Top 10 defenses and we really had to be bad against those teams to have our Top 50 offense go down in the efficiency. The numbers are what they are, but I think have to get substantially better offensively to be able to compete.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I am not trying to suggest we are somehow going to be goodish at both.

I think the offense has to step it up and, again, the defense has to work better than four plastic flamingos and a couple of deck chairs this time.

Elite on offense and passable on defense is our calling card.

With one (or two!) tough SOBs that will rebound. I don’t have the stats to back this, but I recall our first-chance defense being not great, but the problem was compounded by second- and third-chance opportunities. I think/hope a few of the transfers will help with that, too

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Do you think Gach is a PG because he said he wants to go somewhere who lets him play PG? We have a few guys already who can facilitate just as well or better than Gach.

No, we don't on the projected roster. Watch some vids of him at Utah, especially last season's game vs Minnesota. He played the point on numerous possessions and more effective than the likes of Harris and Bolton. Here are the career assists per minute for the following:

Gach: .098
Harris: .059
Bolton: .073
Jackson: ,059
Coleman-Lands: .038

A trio of Gach, JCL and Hinson would have clearly made ISU a better team on both ends of the court next season as opposed to any projected lineup with Harris as a starter.

Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
No, we don't on the projected roster. Watch some vids of him at Utah, especially last season's game vs Minnesota. He played the point on numerous possessions and more effective than the likes of Harris and Bolton. Here are the career assists per minute for the following:

Gach: .098
Harris: .059
Bolton: .073
Jackson: ,059
Coleman-Lands: .038

A trio of Gach, JCL and Hinson would have clearly made ISU a better team on both ends of the court next season as opposed to any projected lineup with Harris as a starter.
Look, we all wanted Gach.. A lot actually. But we didn't get him. Minnesota was the team to beat and they ended up landing him. It happens and we ended up getting someone who is good, even if he may not be as good as Gach.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yeah, @cykadelic2, I would like to have Monté Morris back, too.

But he is not coming back, and we are probably done for the summer.

Time to go to war with the army that we have.

Good analysis on the assists per 100 data, though I would argue that is at least influenced by the role a player is designated to play in an offense.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
We’ve had several players and positions that can’t be replaced. And yet we still do, just in different ways. I’m a few years we will lose someone again who can’t be replaced. And the trend will continue, as it does for every team at every level.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Reactions: heitclone

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
This would qualify one the staff should at least call on. ISU did offer CJ.

@jeffborzello Oregon freshman CJ Walker announces he's entering the transfer portal. Former five-star prospect out of Florida. Averaged 4.0 points and 2.5 rebounds last season.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/CJ-Walker-99127/RecruitInterests/
and there’s the odd Oregon guy out I had speculated on. Seems like the ideal target for the last scholly especially if they’re confident about a waiver for Hinson. Prior connections and a highly touted guy out of HS who could probably benefit from a year off and a change in scenery.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Walker is interesting, barring a can't miss, instant starter type of guard entering the portal late, a sit out big is the best use of that last schollie IMO. That's where I'd want to go that way even if we banked it for a mid year transfer.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yeah, Walker wasn't very good last year. I wonder if he'll even draw any high-major interest. Unless the potential pickup is a pretty sure-fire guard (even a RS one) prospect, then I think you save it for the midyear market or a freshman.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Yeah, Walker wasn't very good last year. I wonder if he'll even draw any high-major interest. Unless the potential pickup is a pretty sure-fire guard (even a RS one) prospect, then I think you save it for the midyear market or a freshman.
You must not be paying attention to how the transfer market operates these days... I'm betting most high-majors with an open scholarship will be lining up for this kid.

Big time recruit and it's hard to say he's a bust based on only ~15 minutes a game on a pretty good Oregon team last year.

I think he's the type of versatile forward that could really fit our style. Being from FL, I wonder if this a James Kane connection again.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
This would qualify one the staff should at least call on. ISU did offer CJ.

@jeffborzello Oregon freshman CJ Walker announces he's entering the transfer portal. Former five-star prospect out of Florida. Averaged 4.0 points and 2.5 rebounds last season.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/CJ-Walker-99127/RecruitInterests/
Yeah, you think that would at least be looked into. Although, I wonder if he is looking to go back to Florida with the covid situation maybe he wants to be by family.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Yeah, you think that would at least be looked into. Although, I wonder if he is looking to go back to Florida with the covid situation maybe he wants to be by family.

yeah, I already saw an article where he stated that he wanted to go closer to home due to Covid. Hard to say though if that is just already being put out there just to set up a waiver case. Ames is technically closer to Florida than Oregon (as is almost every school). Most of us remember the Hamilton transfer and closer can mean a lot of things. ;)
Worth a call, but not expecting him to come to Ames.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011