***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It's not a perfect science for all players but it is certainly an indicator. We learned that Tre was a sniper and that Bolton was our best player outside of Haliburton very quickly from CapCity last summer.

We knew those things before CCL.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This is why I think we lose that game even with Georges...

Georges' touches/shots would have come from Hogue. Hogue was already making everything/had the game of his life replacing Georges' role.

But Napier and Boatright are still throwing beach balls into the ocean / playing baseball with tennis rackets / both of them have the "HE'S ON FIRE!" thing from College Slam going on / whatever stupid analogy you want to use. They just hit shots.

So we still lose in the end. :(
Yeah Georges no doubt would've helped, but again you never know. We could've lost by worse. It's a "you never know" type situation. What if Georges went off for 45? I mean I would've thought that was more possible than Hogue going off for 34.

We needed some points to come from the 5 position that Georges played. Percy and Edozie gave us zero in 11 minutes played combined. If those two couldn't help, we needed Naz and Matt to contribute. Matt had 0 points and shot once, Naz went 1-6 from beyond the arc, including a HUGE miss that would've brought the game to 2. With 50 seconds left Monte had a blocked shot, rebounded it, and threw it to Naz for a three and he missed it. We then fouled the rest of the game but could never cut the deficit.

It wasn't all on Naz, obviously, Ejim went 3-13 with 7 points, and although Kane had 16 points, he was 6-18 from the floor, including 2-6 from the FT line. As a team we were 6-15 from the FT line, compared to UCONN's 20-22. We shot 37% from 3 (6-15), while UCONN shot 47% (9-19). We lost 81-76.

So having Georges was not enough to win unless he could've done more than Hogue. We would've had to play better as a whole, which personally I think we would've because Georges was indeed the key piece, but to say for a fact we would've beaten them would be far fetched.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We knew those things before CCL.
I think we could all agree that Terrence is a scorer by the CCL, but the CCL doesn't play any defense, doesn't follow scouting reports, doesn't have offensive sets, etc.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

Georges' touches/shots would have come from Hogue. Hogue was already making everything/had the game of his life replacing Georges' role.

But Napier and Boatright are still throwing beach balls into the ocean / playing baseball with tennis rackets / whatever stupid analogy you want to use.

Those 2 were efficient but Daniels was the killer, he carried them the 2nd half, I think he was the only guy who scored for the first 10 minutes or something like that. As efficient as Napier and Boatright were, they only hit 9 shots combined, each guy made more FT's than FG's. Its actually kind of crazy we played them as well as we did considering how well they were playing, that Georges was out and we got virtually nothing from Mel. Says a lot about just how great Hogue and Kane were in that game. Deandre's near triple double gets forgotten due to Hogue's outburst but he was a beast that night.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Those 2 were efficient but Daniels was the killer, he carried them the 2nd half, I think he was the only guy who scored for the first 10 minutes or something like that. As efficient as Napier and Boatright were, they only hit 9 shots combined, each guy made more FT's than FG's. Its actually kind of crazy we played them as well as we did considering how well they were playing, that Georges was out and we got virtually nothing from Mel. Says a lot about just how great Hogue and Kane were in that game. Deandre's near triple double gets forgotten due to Hogue's outburst but he was a beast that night.
Daniels scored 15 of the first 17 points in the 2nd half..

Reactions: heitclone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
These are all great points. Building on them slightly --

Yeah Georges no doubt would've helped, but again you never know. We could've lost by worse. It's a "you never know" type situation. What if Georges went off for 45? I mean I would've thought that was more possible than Hogue going off for 34.

Dustin had an ORTG of 146 on 30.2% usage in that game. That is pretty incredible and no way anybody is going to be beat that again ever again. He scored 34, which is two more than Georges' career record of 31 (which he did against MAC school Buffalo and in the loss to Buddy's Oklahoma team in KC his senior year).

Maybe it can still work out if Hogue still has a good game (even if not that monster), Georges has a regular good game, Kane still has a great game, and Fred is smart enough to reduce Melvin and Naz's usage as they kept missing, shifting those over to Georges (who we are just going to assume makes them). Maybe it works out.

Maybe that would have been enough. Or not. We'll never know. :(

We needed some points to come from the 5 position that Georges played. Percy and Edozie gave us zero in 11 minutes played combined. If those two couldn't help, we needed Naz and Matt to contribute. Matt had 0 points and shot once, Naz went 1-6 from beyond the arc, including a HUGE miss that would've brought the game to 2. With 50 seconds left Monte had a blocked shot, rebounded it, and threw it to Naz for a three and he missed it. We then fouled the rest of the game but could never cut the deficit.

At least Gibson and Edozie were 0/1 from the field with one rebound. That is not a lot of productively from the 5 spot, obviously, but they did not hurt anything while they were out there. Georges probably does more with those minutes.

It was 63-67 when Naz missed that shot. It would have been down to one. Honestly, though, they might have been better served trying to cut it to two with a Georges isolation (assuming he was around that day) instead of going for broke with the three.

What really killed us was UConn hitting a three the next possession. If they miss that shot, we are down four with 1:49 and the ball. That is not an ideal circumstance, but if you score twice and get a stop, you are in that game. Once they hit that three to make it seven, like you said, we were in desperation mode with the endgame fouling.

It wasn't all on Naz, obviously, Ejim went 3-13 with 7 points, and although Kane had 16 points, he was 6-18 from the floor, including 2-6 from the FT line. As a team we were 6-15 from the FT line, compared to UCONN's 20-22. We shot 37% from 3 (6-15), while UCONN shot 47% (9-19). We lost 81-76.

Yeah -- some ugly stat lines there. Only two guys went to the line, though...

Kane = 2/9
Hogue = 4/6

Seasonal averages...

Kane = 63.5%
Hogue = 66.4%

If they meet those, Kane goes 6/9 and Hogue still goes 4/6.

Those extra four points at the end would have been really nice to have.

So having Georges was not enough to win unless he could've done more than Hogue. We would've had to play better as a whole, which personally I think we would've because Georges was indeed the key piece, but to say for a fact we would've beaten them would be far fetched.

Just making the Elite Eight would have been awesome. But assume we make it past UConn and have higher ambitions. What do we have ahead of us?

#8 Michigan State
#3 Florida
#22 Kentucky

We were #25 in the Bart Torvik rankings that same year.

Going 3/3 against that... tall order. Possible, but a tall order.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Daniels killed us. Georges wasn’t a good defender, but having him in the lineup would have allowed for more size on the 6’9” Daniels, likely Ejim. Going 6’5” at the 4 had our defense frequently rotating. Make him shoot from the outside. I also wonder if Hogue’s defense would have improved too with Georges helping carry the load. There’s a couple seasons worth of data that suggests Ejim likely plays better with Georges.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
These are all great points. Building on them slightly --

Dustin had an ORTG of 146 on 30.2% usage in that game. That is pretty incredible and no way anybody is going to be beat that again ever again. He scored 34, which is two more than Georges' career record of 31 (which he did against MAC school Buffalo and in the loss to Buddy's Oklahoma team in KC his senior year).

Maybe it can still work out if Hogue still has a good game (even if not that monster), Georges has a regular good game, Kane still has a great game, and Fred is smart enough to reduce Melvin and Naz's usage as they kept missing, shifting those over to Georges (who we are just going to assume makes them). Maybe it works out.

Maybe that would have been enough. Or not. We'll never know. :(

At least Gibson and Edozie were 0/1 from the field with one rebound. That is not a lot of productively from the 5 spot, obviously, but they did not hurt anything while they were out there. Georges probably does more with those minutes.

It was 63-67 when Naz missed that shot. It would have been down to one. Honestly, though, they might have been better served trying to cut it to two with a Georges isolation (assuming he was around that day) instead of going for broke with the three.

What really killed us was UConn hitting a three the next possession. If they miss that shot, we are down four with 1:49 and the ball. That is not an ideal circumstance, but if you score twice and get a stop, you are in that game. Once they hit that three to make it seven, like you said, we were in desperation mode with the endgame fouling.

Yeah -- some ugly stat lines there. Only two guys went to the line, though...

Kane = 2/9
Hogue = 4/6

Seasonal averages...

Kane = 63.5%
Hogue = 66.4%

If they meet those, Kane goes 6/9 and Hogue still goes 4/6.

Those extra four points at the end would have been really nice to have.

Just making the Elite Eight would have been awesome. But assume we make it past UConn and have higher ambitions. What do we have ahead of us?

#8 Michigan State
#3 Florida
#22 Kentucky

We were #25 in the Bart Torvik rankings that same year.

Going 3/3 against that... tall order. Possible, but a tall order.
Yeah I mean Those are some very very good teams. Florida was a wrecking crew that year with Scotty Wilbekin.

I think to say Georges would've scored more than Hogue is a little over the top, but I do think him being on the floor and scoring his average or a little more, while also being able to distribute, create mismatches, draw extra defenders, is what we missed even more. No doubt Kane could do that too, but now you have another guy who can do that and is even more efficient at doing so? Ugh, that team was so fun.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City

But Napier and Boatright are still throwing beach balls into the ocean / playing baseball with tennis rackets / both of them have the "HE'S ON FIRE!" thing from College Slam going on / whatever stupid analogy you want to use. They just hit shots.

Just an FYI, but Georges was averaging 22 pts a night coming off the Big 12 title run.

He was an absolute mismatch. ISU advances if he’s playing, I’m sorry.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Just an FYI, but Georges was averaging 22 pts a night coming off the Big 12 title run.

I think there is a much much better shot that we advance with Georges than without. Hard to say anything concrete though.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Past NCAA tournament "what if" talk in the transfer thread?

Did I accidentally hit 88 mph in my DeLorean again? Son of a...

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006

Yup. You can't look only at scoring by Hogue. Niang's presence would have made the rest of the team's shooting more efficient as he was such a good passer and also required a double team in the low post.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron