Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Your comparison is apples-to-oranges...

4-5 guys as remnants of the previous coaching staff

...versus...

4-5 returning players *and four guys signed for next fall*
(and now Harris added to that)

...are very different situations.

I say four for ISU and five for WF above. Close enough.
Ok, I relent

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
We knew Bolton had a case right away when we signed him. I haven’t heard of one with Harris, but I hope there is one.

Or they just pass the one time waiver rule and implement it right away.

We will probably never have public confirmation about this, but I still think Bolton's rationale was some sort of abusive conduct or hostile environment on the behalf of Pat Chambers. Maybe not on Chambers himself, but around the program.

With Harris, "I got recruited over" is probably not going to cut it, but maybe he could make some sort of vague case with COVID or something else. I am just not going to bet on it. Everybody could be making that exact case about now.

Clyde4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2018
I don’t see anything cautionary about the Wake Forest situation. They made an excellent hire who should have them turned around pretty quick. Forbes knows how to recruit($).

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
So in the case of Wake Forest, your advice would be to continue with a coach that has failed to make the tournament 80% of the time and has finished 12th or worse in that conference in 4 out of those five years. Sig, I get that the road might be tough for Forbes but hasn’t Manning in year 5 already shown you it isn’t going to work? I would rather try a different approach at that point versus continually hitting your head against the wall. Because in that case both scenarios require the fanbase to be patient.

Prohm has not failed anywhere nearly as badly as Manning did.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
We will probably never have public confirmation about this, but I still think Bolton's rationale was some sort of abusive conduct or hostile environment on the behalf of Pat Chambers. Maybe not on Chambers himself, but around the program.

With Harris, "I got recruited over" is probably not going to cut it, but maybe he could make some sort of vague case with COVID or something else. I am just not going to bet on it. Everybody could be making that exact case about now.

I have no knowledge of what happened in Memphis with Harris, but what if Penny ran him off and would tell people he did in filing for the Harris waiver? Just thinking of a reason for a waiver that might work

Reactions: isutrevman

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
This changes things a bit:
Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
· 1h
The NBA has officially postponed the 2020 NBA Draft Lottery and 2020 NBA Draft Combine, per release

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
This changes things a bit:
Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
· 1h
The NBA has officially postponed the 2020 NBA Draft Lottery and 2020 NBA Draft Combine, per release

I wondered. Thoughts on how it changes things?

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa

well they won’t go to the ncaa with that. They will go to them with “Coach told me to transfer”, something like that. I bet unless it’s a horrible excuse the NCAA grants a lot of waivers for less than they normally do

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
well they won’t go to the ncaa with that. They will go to them with “Coach told me to transfer”, something like that. I bet unless it’s a horrible excuse the NCAA grants a lot of waivers for less than they normally do

Yeah, that is a much better way to phrase it. Harris proving he was a model student-athlete and committed to the program before Penny ran him... "I was committed to the program, but the program was not committed to me, this is no fault of my own" is a much better story to tell than getting recruited over. This happens to lots of guys in football and basketball, though, so I do not know if they want the precedent set like that.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Were we involved with him before he signed with Minn? I don't recall seeing his name, but there have been so many transfers this Spring I could have just forgotten...
I can't remember for sure. I hope we reach out. If he would have to sit out still. He would be able to add some body mass, and work more on his 3 point shot. At 6'8 he would be a great stretch 4 in Iowa States system. Even tho he has not been offered he is on my wish list for sure. I don't see ISU getting Brown so that's why I'm leaving off my list. But Peterson, and Harris as sit outs, and Coleman-lands, and Salnave as the GT's would be a kick ass transfer group imo.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Another top 5... top competition once again.

A 6-foot-5 sophomore that can play a litany of spots along the perimeter, Perez quickly became a priority target after entering the portal last month. However, he has decided to narrow things to a select group of five that consists of Georgia Tech, Illinois, Iowa State, Marquette and Memphis.

Perez would be slated to sit out next season due to transfer restrictions, that is unless the one-time transfer rule is passed. If not, Perez could ask for a waiver to play immediately depending upon the college that he chooses. There is no timetable for his commitment.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/gardner-webb-transfer-jose-perez-cuts-list-to-five

Help Support Us

Become a patron