*** Official #12 IOWA STATE vs #18 Baylor Game(Day) Thread ***

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Dumb question - why didn't we get the ball after Drew's second technical?

It occurred during the middle of BRE's 1st of 2 free throws. He missed the 2nd free throw (after CJ made the 2 technical free throws), and Baylor got the rebound and went on their way. I had thought a technical always leads to retaining (or giving) possession.

Play resumes at the point of interruption.

Cyclones125

May 3, 2016
I'll preface this by saying the camera angle was so bad it was tough to tell what was happening. Apart from Baylor shooting 50% on 3s, their offense was atrocious. For the first 30 min of the game they seemingly had every deflection fall into their lap under the basket or were just chucking up awful shots and collecting the offensive rebounds. So while the officiating definitely helped get us back into the game, I don't think its entirely fair to say we got lucky. The 20-0 run was also due to them not getting every bounce their way.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
If we want some silver linings, we held a good offensive team to 70 points (they were averaging 85) and held them to 30 in the second half, and we scored 40 points in the second half, that's pretty good for us.

They played well in the first half, I don't like to attribute an entire 20-minute ass-kicking to luck, but it didn't hurt that literally every bounce went their way in the first half. We could not have been less lucky.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If we want some silver linings, we held a good offensive team to 70 points (they were averaging 85) and held them to 30 in the second half, and we scored 40 points in the second half, that's pretty good for us.

They played well in the first half, I don't like to attribute an entire 20-minute ass-kicking to luck, but it didn't hurt that literally every bounce went their way in the first half. We could not have been less lucky.

Caught Baylor at a bad time too. They're in a bit of 'fix it' mode and haven't played at home much over the last few weeks.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
I'm not sure what metric this was based on but someone on Twitter this morning was saying ISU has had the hardest schedule in the Big 12 up to this point in the conference season.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I wasn’t able to watch the game but I feel as if I did from what I’ve read/scene online and feel like sh*t. Can’t imagine how’d I’d feel if I had actually watched it.

My heart is thanking me for not watching.

Looking at the box score, we should have never been in the game so I’ll take it as a win that we crawled back into and showed a fight. That’ll help come March.

I thought this game was going to be more winnable than Texas on Tuesday, though. Hope I’m wrong. Would hate to be 0-2 in this away stretch.

Still, 5 way tie for 1st is crazy. A little sickening thinking we were .01 seconds away from being in first outright at 6-2.

It was a great game to watch, only disappointing thing was that we lost. If you were a neutral fan it was a fun game to watch. Team never gave up.

Reactions: CoachHines3

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
You tell me I don't know about athletics and then you use one example from 20 years ago?

Do you really think it's that simple? You think ISU's players know they need to improve on the aspect? Do you have any sources that they don't put in extra time?

Don't come at me with this BS about a limited understanding if you can't answer those questions without some ******** from reaching back to one of the better shooters in school history as an example.
ROFL….you just made the entire case against all of your comments on the topic.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Teams that don't shoot the three well still shoot the three well against us anyway, it's the nature of the beating our defense (the trap/double is coming, don't panic, swing the ball or get it cross-court and you can get an open three).

We all complain about the open 3 but that same defense usually gives us a nice amount of turnovers and fast breaks. I assume TJ and staff have a breakdown on this.

This comment wasn't really directed at you, but I wanted to post it somewhere about the 3s and this one was the one I came across.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
ROFL….you just made the entire case against all of your comments on the topic.

How so?

Why don't you answer the questions?

You don't think ISU practices free throws. A division 1 basketball program. Think about that for more than a second.

Dgilbertson

Sep 16, 2023
I think tons of our fans are missing the fact that the clock helped us, not hurt us. Things that did hurt us:
- Missed bummies in the first half
- Missed FT's
- Late game shot clock violation. I believe we had 2 shots blocked and didn't realize the low time on the shot clock and that there hadn't been a reset
- The horrible cross court pass that resulted in a huge turnover

We should have never been in a situation to need that late game 3.
Are ppl genuinely griping? I know I’m 1000% in jest.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
We are gonna destroy Texas. Exactly the kind of team that ISU feeds on.
I agree, issue is we won’t defend the 3 out of the trap, so if we leave Abmas open we will lose. Only chance Texas has is making a lot of threes, they are going to get a lot of open ones.

But yes, in the surface we should win this game.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Exactly. Sometime most people are missing that we wouldn’t get an out of bounds play without the screw up. Clock should have started on the rebound and we’d have been throwing up a half court prayer.
If kstate can complain, we can too!

This should go over well. :D

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I agree, issue is we won’t defend the 3 out of the trap, so if we leave Abmas open we will lose. Only chance Texas has is making a lot of threes, they are going to get a lot of open ones.

But yes, in the surface we should win this game.

Watched the game against TCU and there are 2 different Texas teams. One that is passive and looks like they have no idea what they are doing.....and one that is aggressive and looks like they are the best team in the conference. I think it is going to take a KU at Hilton type of effort for ISU to win in Austin because after their come from behind win against TCU, Texas is going to be fired up.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Bruh, that is freakin' awesome.

Here's a lil sump'in for Texas...cuz it's an away game...

We need the Beat Texass thread to start already!
Bonamassa has it covered!
I'm (Texas, that is) Going Down. Texa$s Going Down!

Reactions: pourcyne

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron