Offense > Defense

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Just learned that the ref making most of the calls was . . .

Courtney Green.

For once I agree with Jordan Bohannan! Can't wait to hear his thoughts.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Were those in year 3 of those coach's time at the school?

Do you think ISU has been in a position to be at that level?

Was it reliable in 2015?
No one is saying ISU is expected to be a national title contender - I’m saying the teams that are have elite offense and good defense.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
No one is saying ISU is expected to be a national title contender - I’m saying the teams that are have elite offense and good defense.

In the right year if the stars align ISU could absolutely contend.

So many things have to fall into place even with the needed metrics.

If like 4 shots fall last night we're here this morning with 'why not ISU!?' on the approach to Saturday.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
I feel like our defense played well enough for us to win and our offense was basically like normal with the difference being that we missed a lot of close in shots that we normally make. Illinois is tall and athletic and that affected our shots. The announcers couldn't talk enough about how this wouldn't have been close if Illinois had made their ft's but I say if we'd made even a few of those close in shots we normally make we could've won. Some uncharacteristic to's didn't help either.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
To be honest, the difference in the game was that Illinois played some pretty good defense themselves.
Yeah, Iowa State did not lose because Illinois's offense was great. Iowa State lost because of the combination of Iowa State's offense struggling and Illinois's defense ramping up from what it's typically been, helping take the offense out of the rhythm it's had since the beginning of the Big 12 tournament.

Reactions: GlenviewIllini

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Just learned that the ref making most of the calls was . . .

Courtney Green.

For once I agree with Jordan Bohannan! Can't wait to hear his thoughts.

I don't mind Green and Kissinger but I DO NOT like the other ref we had. I don't know his name but I see him doing a lot of ACC games.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I was just going to post this...make even 5 of these and the game is extremely different.

Go back and watch some of those shots...fading away, off balance, not squared up, not going to the hoop etc...Many basic things wrong that could have made a big difference.
And lots of contact on some of them - where Shannon got the call on much less contact on the other end

• Winner
Reactions: cyclonehomer

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think the system TJ has put in place is a great plan to have success. This team doesn't have the offensive superstar but those won't be there consistently in the NIL world. Yet still 3 pts away from an elite 8.

If I had one complaint, I wish we did more to steal a few points with set plays and oob plays. The right play at the right time can be used to get a guy going who is struggling and help avoid long droughts.
All credit to Illinois, I think we ran 3 of them and the intercepted every one. No one had done that all year

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Just realized our game last night is almost a mirror of our first matchup against Houston in Hilton. With us being Houston.
Except much better 3 pt shooting on both ends. Houston and us combined for only 6 threes in that game I think.

We really needed to take more 3s last night, but that's one really good thing Illinois does on defense in limiting 3pt attempts and running people off the line.

Mar 26, 2024
Which was not typical from I had seen from Illinois.

WSU got into ISU a bit too and they may have seen some things.

With better athletes they could sustain it a bit more.
Well, they play in the Big 10. It is pretty physical. Moorehead St said the same thing about the physicality. The thing that is surprising and also is not, Illinois was a very good D to start the year but then the O took off and they got lazy on D. Big 10 tourney they started to turn it back on. So their D metrics are frankly very misleading. In addition, they are an OLD team which is a pretty big deal (see Kentucky lol).

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
But I think we do have the potential to be a national title contender next year, and I think improving our offensive efficiency from around 50 to around 30, while keeping the top 5 defense, would be the recipe to be in the conversation as a Final Four team next year.

And frankly we are very close. Dishon Jackson is an offensive upgrade over Jones/Ward. But the real key - the huge opportunity - is already on the roster: We need Milan to make a Lipsey-like leap from year 1 to year 2, and to adjust the offensive scheme to run it through him, at least for parts of the game. Especially to get him the ball in space, and to run sets and screens for him. This year his scoring was pretty limited to spot up 3s and the post fade away, which are really good (most of the time), but it would be great to have him be able to take pull ups and drives. That's my biggest offseason priority

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Well, they play in the Big 10. It is pretty physical. Moorehead St said the same thing about the physicality. The thing that is surprising and also is not, Illinois was a very good D to start the year but then the O took off and they got lazy on D. Big 10 tourney they started to turn it back on. So their D metrics are frankly very misleading. In addition, they are an OLD team which is a pretty big deal (see Kentucky lol).
Congrats on the win. It will be interesting to see how you reload for next year, a huge amount of the scoring is super seniors, especially if Coleman doesn't take his COVID year. I'm guess you'll be major players in the transfer portal again.

Reactions: GlenviewIllini

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
What part do you actually disagree with? Elite offense is more important than elite defense to make the Final Four; 2 minutes of looking at KenPom previous years proves that.

Remind me how the Hoiberg years went? Oh, that’s right - we had an elite offense and the results weren’t better than what we have now.

The idea that offense is more important than defense is asinine.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Gotta stop on that first line.

Thst's the crap I hear from Bucky fans and in the current era I would not describe the B1G as having a lot of physical teams or at least compared to other conferences like it's unusual.

Bucky hated James Madison getting in to them after their B1G tourney run.

IIllinois cranked it up and hsve the guys to do it but they were pretty fluid overall on the season.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron