NY Times Article about JTS

RClone

Dec 8, 2019
I attended ISU from 71 to 75...lived in Ames for 3 years after. A lot of people contributed to building the new stadium...and naming rights reflected a lot of push and pull because of money..it had nothing to do with race..rather, who had the deepest pocket $$$. Also, you really have to ignore how progressive ISU was at that time to come up with some "racism" charge. Historically, you might start with George Washington Carver just to see how much ISU was ahead of the curve for equal rights. Just 'sayin.'

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
IAlso, you really have to ignore how progressive ISU was at that time to come up with some "racism" charge.

Black athletes had threatened to boycott and/or leave the university. Black students routinely claimed harrassment by the local police, discrimination by the university, and profiling by store owners and landlords, etc.

But sure, everything was just hunky dory. After all, George Washington Carver!

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Black athletes had threatened to boycott and/or leave the university. Black students routinely claimed harrassment by the local police, discrimination by the university, and profiling by store owners and landlords, etc.

What u stated has gone at all campuses since the 60's, if not before??? Nobody was restricting conversations about naming the stadium because of JT's race.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
Ok, since it HAS to be about race, which you think it was, you must be one of the racists.

Glad that's settled.

Carry on.
lol.....god you certainly are hyper sensitive.

I've said all along that race played a role in it. Never said it "has to be about race." First you need to work on some comprehension skills. Second, whether you believe it or not, it did. That is just the facts. Your own politics is blinding you to not see what was obviously a part of the stadium discussion back in the mid-1970's. That's a YOU issue. Your choice whether you want to fix it or not. But, don't get all tangled up in your underwear when someone points out truths that you have a blind spot on. Probably an intentional blind spot too.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
What u stated has gone at all campuses since the 60's, if not before??? Nobody was restricting conversations about naming the stadium because of JT's race.

I was refuting the claim that ISU was a progressive place in the realm of race relations in the 1970s.

Thanks for jumping in, though.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I was refuting the claim that ISU was a progressive place in the realm of race relations in the 1970s.

Thanks for jumping in, though.
I think that is a different topic and has nothing to do with what this discussion is about - did ISU officials drag their feet because JT was black?

Pertaining to you jumping in with a different topic. Talk to people from New York and California, especially the progressives from these areas, Ames, Iowa State and the state of Iowa are not enlightened and our progressives don't even get what it's about. In other words, according to the masses, what you stated about Iowa State and Iowa has been said forever and will always be stated since we are primarily white. A general form of discrimination from outsiders is " white people from Iowa are not enlightened and really don't understand the world".

If you believe that, that is fine, but an age-old topic.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf

names?

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
lol.....god you certainly are hyper sensitive.

I've said all along that race played a role in it. Never said it "has to be about race." First you need to work on some comprehension skills. Second, whether you believe it or not, it did. That is just the facts. Your own politics is blinding you to not see what was obviously a part of the stadium discussion back in the mid-1970's. That's a YOU issue. Your choice whether you want to fix it or not. But, don't get all tangled up in your underwear when someone points out truths that you have a blind spot on. Probably an intentional blind spot too.

Hypersensitive? To you? If you were credible, I might be. I'm just over the "woke" crowd attempting to rewrite history.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
Hypersensitive? To you? If you were credible, I might be. I'm just over the "woke" crowd attempting to rewrite history.
"rewrite history" is the automatic retort by many white folks who won't acknowledge facts or even opinions that don't fit in their little bubble. Sorry son, but that is just the truth. Time to open your mind some, no not just "some" but alot.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
"rewrite history" is the automatic retort by many white folks who won't acknowledge facts or even opinions that don't fit in their little bubble. Sorry son, but that is just the truth. Time to open your mind some, no not just "some" but alot.

Truth? You can't handle the truth!!!

BB08E39A-DA1C-48B2-A238-30ACDB79B332.jpeg

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron