NY Times Article about JTS

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Amelia Bloomer of Council Bluffs was another leader in the suffrage movement (previously of Seneca Falls):

https://www.womenshistory.org/education-resources/biographies/amelia-bloomer

Bloomers are named after her.

It was a long ago, but growing up, I believe I knew two of her descendants.

She was mentioned regarding a business associate of her husband‘s, Colonel William H. Kinsman, who died at Vicksburg, in a news article yesterday:

https://nonpareilonline.com/lifesty...cle_4ec418d3-11d4-5558-878a-5a3e673b352e.html

... Back in Council Bluffs, and on the eve of the Civil War, Kinsman taught school and soon took up a business partnership with D.C. Bloomer. (Bloomer school is named in his honor. His wife, Amelia Bloomer, became synonymous with the national suffragist movement.) ...

The manner of his death, in a battle on the outskirts during the siege of Vicksburg, Mississippi, reads like a Hollywood war movie. The night before he died, Kinsman had a premonition, as remembered by a comrade-in-arms:

“I have orders to march at daylight and attack the enemy ... I may be killed but if I live and the 23rd will follow me, and I know it will, we will show the people at home (in Iowa) that it is one of the best and bravest regiments that have ever left the State ... But something tells me that I shall be severely wounded ... see that my sword and watch and other things are sent to Mr. Bloomer, who will know what to do with them.” ...

(At the Historic Dodge House Museum you can view photos of Kinsman, his Union Army overcoat and his sword in a special display that honors his sacrifice and memorial.) ...

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Visions Magazine has an excellent article about Catt, including a separate piece about her views and race. Too complex for me to write all of my thoughts, but Catt deserves to have the building named for her at ISU. A real leader, and the 19th amendment would not have passed without her. The situation regarding the interrelationships between women’s suffrage and voting rights was tricky to navigate. Southern people feared black women getting the vote. Anyway, I think Catt did what she had to do to get women the vote. Later statements certainly indicate she was not racist. The American Experience PBS show “The Vote” does an excellent job of covering much of this - if you are interested.

I am not a Catt historian, but she always struck me as not so much having complex or evolving views, and more as saying what was expedient. When the battle for the 19th amendment was on she was very derogatory toward people of color, Natives, and immigrants.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Was a student in the mid 70s when we started the momentum to honor Jack Trice. Very proud of that.

We're almost as many years from the middle 70's as the middle 70's were from when Jack Trice played.

You old!*

* I too am old

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We're almost as many years from the middle 70's as the middle 70's were from when Jack Trice played.

You old!*

* I too am old

I wasn't alive then but when I think about how the 60s was 60 years ago and the 70s were 50 years ago.

51811cc10cf143b1d493614a7c8807e6.gif

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Honestly I didn't like the story at all. The act like Iowa State needed an excuse to name it after Trice. That was not the case at all. The students fought for it and got it. It took a little longer than it should. However, the way they phrased the story made it sound like Iowa State is a bunch of racists who named the stadium to look like we were not racists.

I had a similar impression. Remember, this is the NYT and people from Iowa are not "enlightened" and since we don't have a lot of minorities we just don't get things. She doesn't outright say this, but the innuendos are there.

Still decent press, but the NYT quietly slammed us.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I had a similar impression. Remember, this is the NYT and people from Iowa are not "enlightened" and since we don't have a lot of minorities we just don't get things. She doesn't outright say this, but the innuendos are there.

Still decent press, but the NYT quietly slammed us.

That newspaper has a lot of turmoil in house. I’ll take some of the attention as good pub but yes, their pot stirring shtick is present.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Take a gander through this thread.

Like these numbers are a surprise? I sure hope he goes public or to his supervisor with his claims. Doing them thru Twitter is weak, but is part of freedom of speech.

Regardless of whatever we (ISU) do, ISU will not viewed as enlightened on this topic to outsiders, especially NYT.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
what is Iowa State supposed to do to get more black students? Guessing universities in Canada don’t get many either. Guessing North Dakota, Nebraska and a lot of other midwestern states get a lot
An easy target. I agree with you. As I understand, we are approaching 25% of all students are "non-western European decent." Someone who has more patience then I do, please look up. More than Iowa and UNI. I believe we are meeting the Regents' goals. Actually, it will never be enough, but doesn't appear to be a bad number to me. To the NYT, we are just unenlighted Iowans.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
I see no reason to care what the NYT thinks about anything. The NYT lives in a glass house and does not understand that outsiders can see within.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I see no reason to care what the NYT thinks about anything. The NYT lives in a glass house and does not understand that outsiders can see within.
Well stated and I agree

Rarely though, are Iowans and Iowa's Staters highlighted by their cute innuendos, let alone, in a story about Jack Trice.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I thought it was a good story that pretty fairly encapsulated the many factors at play when the decision was made. Even though it took many years and considerable student efforts, the fact of the matter is we are the only D1 school to have taken this step. That is significant, even if it took a while to get there.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I was on campus at the time of the renaming of the stadium, and speaking only for myself, do not see it, as the article implies, as ISU throwing a bone to the students after the Catt Hall deal. The Trice effort was a long standing one, and the complaint over Catt Hall was a really minor episode that most people (if they are being honest) probably didn't even remember until this article tried to conflate the two.

Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

OPCyclone

Dec 4, 2008
Overland Park, KS
I thought it was a good story that pretty fairly encapsulated the many factors at play when the decision was made. Even though it took many years and considerable student efforts, the fact of the matter is we are the only D1 school to have taken this step. That is significant, even if it took a while to get there.

I agree. Are there some parts of the story of which on one might take offense - yes! But overall I saw it as positive. Although didn't Texas just rename their stadium for former black Heisman trophy winners? Or maybe that was a proposal and not final...

I compare this to those that pick out one line of a story (like the Bible) or history (like Lincoln's signing the death warrants of 39 native Americans in the Great Sioux uprising) without understanding the entire context and meaning of the bible chapter or book in which it occurs or the historical setting of Lincoln's decision and as Paul Harvey would have said, "the rest of the story", Getting overwhelmed with that now as part of the upcoming primaries in Kansas....picking quotes or previous votes without the entire context being considered.

Anyway - great discussion and I love differing viewpoints and discussion without anybody getting offended or offensive! Thanks!

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
Hopefully the documentary centers on Jack Trice's actions and honorable impact on Iowa State and not some of the other spin in this article.
What's the "other spin" in the article?

It was well written and researched. The writer did a good job.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
I thought some of it was over the top but it is important to tell the whole story. And I do think it’s important to point out how long it took to ne the stadium for him.
Yes. ISU has to guard against the "see what we did!" and continue to work on racial issues and not hurt their collective arms patting themselves on their backs.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
I can't say I'm impressed with Prof. Schultz's take on this. Most of her comments were pretty derogatory. Why can't honoring Jack Trice simply be that? Honoring an ISU football player with a compelling story.
I didn't think her comments were derogatory at all. She's done the work to look at the deaths of black football players through a racial lens - which is totally appropriate today. Like she was quoted, we will never know that exact details of Trice's injuries/death, but in 2020, we now know alot more about racism and we can use a racial lens to view the deaths of those black players in the last century. I'm pretty confident that Trice was targeted because of his race. We know that Bright was and Okie State eventually apologized (hell, OSU has a racist coach NOW which is not all that surprising to me.)