NY Times Article about JTS

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Love how his story continues to be told. Really hope the documentary gets made and the scholarship comes to fruition.

Reactions: JP4CY

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Love how his story continues to be told. Really hope the documentary gets made and the scholarship comes to fruition.

Hopefully the documentary centers on Jack Trice's actions and honorable impact on Iowa State and not some of the other spin in this article.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Hopefully the documentary centers on Jack Trice's actions and honorable impact on Iowa State and not some of the other spin in this article.

I thought some of it was over the top but it is important to tell the whole story. And I do think it’s important to point out how long it took to ne the stadium for him.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I thought some of it was over the top but it is important to tell the whole story. And I do think it’s important to point out how long it took to ne the stadium for him.

Agree. One example of the whole story would have been a few words informing the reader who Catt was if you're going to bring her into the story.

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
I can't say I'm impressed with Prof. Schultz's take on this. Most of her comments were pretty derogatory. Why can't honoring Jack Trice simply be that? Honoring an ISU football player with a compelling story.

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
I thought Professor Schultz's take was pretty odd so I looked up her background.

https://hhd.psu.edu/contact/jaime-schultz-phd

Jaime Schultz, Ph.D.
Professor of Kinesiology
Summary Statement

Jaime Schultz's research interests encompass two broad areas: 1) issues of sex, gender, and sexuality in women’s sport; 2) racial politics and cultural memory.

Department
  • Kinesiology - KINES
+ See All
Education
  • Ph.D., 2005, Cultural Studies of Sport, The University of Iowa

Last edited:

NetflixAndClone

Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Agree. One example of the whole story would have been a few words informing the reader who Catt was if you're going to bring her into the story.
They did though?

Among other things, Iowa State in 1995 had named its botany building after Carrie Chapman Catt, an Iowa State alumna who had been a leading suffragist and a founder of the League of Women Voters.

including a link to an article from 1996 about the situation. https://www.nytimes.com/1996/05/05/us/suffragette-s-racial-remark-haunts-college.html

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
They did though?

including a link to an article from 1996 about the situation. https://www.nytimes.com/1996/05/05/us/suffragette-s-racial-remark-haunts-college.html
Visions Magazine has an excellent article about Catt, including a separate piece about her views and race. Too complex for me to write all of my thoughts, but Catt deserves to have the building named for her at ISU. A real leader, and the 19th amendment would not have passed without her. The situation regarding the interrelationships between women’s suffrage and voting rights was tricky to navigate. Southern people feared black women getting the vote. Anyway, I think Catt did what she had to do to get women the vote. Later statements certainly indicate she was not racist. The American Experience PBS show “The Vote” does an excellent job of covering much of this - if you are interested.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I can't say I'm impressed with Prof. Schultz's take on this. Most of her comments were pretty derogatory. Why can't honoring Jack Trice simply be that? Honoring an ISU football player with a compelling story.

It's sort of an interesting question. Minnesota had had black players on their team by than. The same year Trice died that first player, Bobby Marshall, was playing pro football for the Minneapolis Marines (even though by than he was in his forties). On the other hand the only known lynching of black men in Minnesota occurred in Duluth in 1920.

The Twin Cities has an odd history mismash of integration and racism. I wish I had talked more with Bubba Brown, one of my old neighbors. Only chatted with him once at lawn party maybe a dozen years ago. He had grown up in a integrated neighborhood in Mpls and ended up drafted into a segregated logistics unit in WWII while his brother, Dr. Harold Brown, ended up as a officer and pilot with the Red Tails. At the time blacks were not allowed in University dorms yet Harold was part of a mostly white aviation club, that odd mishmash in practice in the 1940's. Guessing I should buy the book written about Harold.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Honestly I didn't like the story at all. The act like Iowa State needed an excuse to name it after Trice. That was not the case at all. The students fought for it and got it. It took a little longer than it should. However, the way they phrased the story made it sound like Iowa State is a bunch of racists who named the stadium to look like we were not racists.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Honestly I didn't like the story at all. The act like Iowa State needed an excuse to name it after Trice. That was not the case at all. The students fought for it and got it. It took a little longer than it should. However, the way they phrased the story made it sound like Iowa State is a bunch of racists who named the stadium to look like we were not racists.
Yeah, if they want to talk about compromise they can talk about Cyclone Stadium with Jack Trice Field. The activists weren't satisfied with that half solution and pushed for the complete renaming of the stadium.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
However, the way they phrased the story made it sound like Iowa State is a bunch of racists who named the stadium to look like we were not racists.

Well, that was a prevailing opinion on campus at the time. There were many who thought that the stadium naming was done to offset Catt Hall, because those two things happened in a relatively tight time frame. It's still a relevant part of the overarching story (i.e., context), even if it makes you uncomfortable.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Wasn't the delay in naming the stadium after Jack Trice mostly about hoping a big sponsor would come forward and give enough for the naming rights?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Wasn't the delay in naming the stadium after Jack Trice mostly about hoping a big sponsor would come forward and give enough for the naming rights?

They didn't want to name the stadium until it was paid off -- which didn't happen until about 1983. Had a sponsor written a big check between 1975 and 1983, the stadium would probably bear that name instead.