Now Playing: A cinematic experience

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
My interest in the cinema led me to create my own thread, intended to discuss movies and the people who create them. (A tip of the cap to @MeanDean, @cyclones500, and @CycloneRulzzz, who have their music threads. My idea is to examine a certain film, filmmaker, or actor/actress at length.

Our beginning topic is one of the most analyzed, criticized, and misunderstood films of all time: Un Chien Andalou (an Andalusian dog), by the French director Luis Bunuel. He was assisted in creating this short film by none other than the artist Salvador Dali.

The 16-minute film (!!!!!!) contains one scene after another that will confound the viewer, since they have no basis in reality, nor relation to each other. The film was intended to shock and amaze, and in this sense is does not disappoint. There have been papers written about it, and numerous attempts to discover hidden meaning and/or theme, none of which succeeded.

If you have seen it, you will never forget it. If you are a cinema buff and have not seen it, you owe it to yourself to find a copy somewhere. Leave your thoughts and/or comments below.

Thanks for visiting!!!!

TNMNowPlayingFeature-1000x428.png

Last edited:

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
Kind of a weird side note, we just watched Midnight in Paris (Woody Allen) again where Owen Wilson meets artists from this era, including Dali and Bunuel. I always liked that movie. Now I'm curious about this movie and will try to watch it tonight.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Good thought.....wish I knew how to cut and paste it to the thread title.

Ok, here's what you do.

You right click the picture you like, and select "Copy Image Location":
upload_2018-5-16_11-52-53.png

Then edit your original post with the "Edit" button at the bottom:
upload_2018-5-16_11-53-34.png

Go to where you want to insert the picture in your post, and click to get the cursor there.

Then go to the top of your post and select the icon to add a picture:
upload_2018-5-16_11-54-41.png

That will bring up a box to enter the Image Location that you copied earlier, paste the location there, and then click INSERT:
upload_2018-5-16_11-57-7.png

This should add the image to your post. Then just save changes to your post at the bottom and everything should show up.

You can copy the location of the same picture from this thread to add to your next one if you want to as well.

• Informative
Reactions: SCyclone

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I should probably watch this film. I've heard about it many times but never taken the 16 minutes to view it. I'm with Gr8 and will try to watch it this weekend.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I watched the film. Previously had seen only a few scenes, as isolated clips.

No way I could describe what happened, but it's intriguing to watch, I can't imagine how groundbreaking it was at the time from a technical/editing standpoint, and what audiences thought about it compared to common fare of the day.

Another fascination for me about pre-talkie stuff is how heavily it relied on presenting a story cinematically. Music could help, of course, but it couldn't rely on audible dialog.

Reactions: SCyclone